Rest in peace, Blue Courts

IMG_9644

The blue basketball courts just outside the Joe Craft Center doors are no more. Gone. Outta here. Goodbye. Thanks for the memories.

The university is building a new bookstore on the spot where Big Blue Madness campers and many others watched some classic basketball. To add insult to injury, the construction crew didn’t even have the decency to remove the courts. They’re building the bookstore right on top:

blue-court1 blue-court2

Let’s look back at that memorable showdown between Nerlens Noel and Stone Cold Willow in 2012, arguably the greatest game the courts have ever seen…

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Rest in peace, Blue Courts

1. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    1:54 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Wow. How do they expect our basketball team to be any good if they can’t even play hood ball?

2. lexslamman
    1:54 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m still mourning the old courts right at the corner of Euclid and MLK, which were destroyed to make room for Roselle Hall.

• ClutchCargo
      1:56 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. Had many a battle down there on those courts.

• Sp0rtsFreq
      5:01 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, those were the “original” Blue Courts, as far as I’m concerned, and that was where the great “pickup games” from the 80’s and 90’s occurred!! (LOL….I hadn’t even realized that those were gone and that the “new” ones had been built across the street from the old Lodge?….man, I’m getting old!!)

So, now I’m learning that “new” stuff is actually “old”….geeesh…thanks for the pick-me-up, Drew! 🙁

@Sp0rtsFreq

3. david8577
    1:54 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Do people still use books, like made from wood pulp? Is this place really for selling software and t-shirts?

4. Laker Cat 18
    2:02 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’ll bet Stone Cold Willow is crying and laying in a fetal position in the bathroom floor of a Raising Canes somewhere in Lexington right now.

5. not
    3:49 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m tired of seeing Capilouto tear down every bit of history and tradition this campus ever had (exaggerating of course). It’s getting ridiculous. K-Lair, Worsham Theater/Student Center, Blue Courts, all of the historic north campus dorms…

6. Aaron Crafts Rosacea
    4:00 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

This is still the best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlE5Mv6W5CQ

RIP Blue Courts

7. crraynes
    4:29 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

The bookstore is just temporary until the new student center is complete next year. I can’t say for sure if the courts will still be there after it gets taken down, but this building isn’t permanent as you can’t build a permanent building without some foundations…though the Blue Courts have proven to be a pretty foundation!

8. jeffj
    6:24 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

now where are us common folks gonna play ? i played on the old old blue court in the mid 80″s and it was so very enlightening & had such a mystique to it, i’ll never forget it. so yes folks we all need a new blue court to keep the tradition alive. Go Cats !!!

9. Delk for 3
    9:31 am April 13, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know about you all, but in the late 90’s, early 2000’s, the blue courts we all referred to on South Campus were the outdoor courts next to the tennis complex, close to Commonwealth Stadium. Before the Johnson Center was built, most of the run in the warm weather was being done in the Seaton Center and out there on those blue courts.
    They officially called those courts the “blue courts” when I was young child at basketball camp, too.