REPORT: Three Kentucky Wildcats receive NBA Combine Invites

NBA Draft Combine invites are being released to those both testing the waters and set on keeping their names in the draft, and according to at least one report, three of Kentucky’s five early entrants made the cut.

In a recent post on The Cats Pause, Kentucky draft hopefuls PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, and Tyler Herro all reportedly received combine invites, while forwards EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards did not.

Senior Reid Travis, who also went through the process last offseason, did not receive an invitation either.

Roughly 60 draft prospects are invited to the NBA Draft Combine each season. This year, the event will take place from May 15 through May 19 in Chicago.

Montgomery and Richards have until May 29 to pull their names out of the NBA Draft.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

20 Comments for REPORT: Three Kentucky Wildcats receive NBA Combine Invites

1. addyjaxlarkin
    6:07 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

So again tell me how it benefited Travis to come to Kentucky? Last season he would have been easily a second round draft pick, then he comes to Kentucky to better himself? It just didn’t happen like Calipari continues to tell everyone, he says the player and the program both need to benefit. If I was a grad transfer I would think twice about coming to Here after seeing how this situation played out. There’s absolutely no question about it travis didn’t benefit at all playing for us.

• UKCatAttack
      6:21 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

The error in your comment is assuming he was “Easily a second round draft pick.” I think there is little doubt Reid is a better player, but he may still not be good enough for the NBA.

• addyjaxlarkin
      6:39 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

He would’ve been a second round pick last season but everyone continues to not say the obvious. He did not benefit at all playing this season at UK. He regressed as a player under Cal. I know I like to joke on these post (troll) but this is simply a Fact. I am a UK fan but I don’t allow that to make me delusional to reality.

• CatfaninCinci
      6:30 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

He can carve out a nice role in Europe and China. Make millions over there. And retire at 34… Dxclaim to us how your life is better.

• addyjaxlarkin
      6:46 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Catfanincinci Haha my life is just fine no explanation needed but I truly wish him the best I hope he can find a spot somewhere. He simply did not benefit playing this year at UK.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      6:36 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

He was not going second round last year so obviously have an agenda. He came to Kentucky to improve his game, which he did. Unfortunately he was unable to demonstrate consistent outside shooting and plays below the rim…none of which is Cals fault.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      6:37 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

He was never a second round pick last year so you obviously have an agenda.

• addyjaxlarkin
      6:57 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Well he clearly said after choosing to come to UK as a Grad transfer that he was doing so in order to become a FIRST round pick. Well that was obviously a major fail. He would have been a second round pick last year.

• syrin23
      6:52 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Like others have said, he had NO chance at being a second round pick with his limited vertical, quickness and shooting at the position he was trying to get in the NBA.

• kyle heavy
      7:05 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

The delusional Kentucky fans hate facts. You have no idea how much I love the fact that you dug up that article that backed up everything you said. Yet, many will continue to pile on you because it doesn’t agree with their “Cal poops I’ve cream” agenda. I agree with everything you said. It did not benefit him for the NBA.

• JT919
      8:41 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

You’re delusional if you think anyone besides Reid and the coaching staff expected him to become a first round pick. Nowhere on the planet could change the fact that he’s undersized and ground bound, so he might as well go to a program with a bigger spotlight to build his image.

• makeitstop
      9:14 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Addyjaxoff, even to a casual observer ur a troll. Ur no more a cats fan than I’m an astronaut. Reid was not a 2d round pick last year. He may he a free agent signing. He’s a great teammate and a great kid. He’s done what u will never do – get a degree from a great school like Stanford and play for a hall of fame coach.

• J-Dub421
      12:20 am May 2, 2019 Permalink

Projections aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. Josh Allen was projected to go top 3; he was drafted 7th. Lonnie Johnson was projected to be taken in the first round; he went in the second round. Reid also came to UK to get to play in the NCAA tournament, mission accomplished.

2. UKCatAttack
    7:35 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

The article you posted literally says “after being projected as a late second round pick, did not receive an invitation to the draft combine in Chicago.” I’m not sure how that backs up your claim that he was “easily a second round draft pick.” If anything he is in the exact same position as he was last year. As syrin23 stated Reid failed to develop a jump shot and did not display tremendous athleticism. I would like to be a first round draft pick, but Cal isn’t a miracle worker.

• chardun20
      7:53 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, it’s no disrespect to Reid, he’s a good player and a better person, just 3 or 4 inches to short for the NBA his game and lack of a vertical.

• addyjaxlarkin
      7:58 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

I clearly stated facts and provided proof to support my facts but continue to enjoy that lovely shade you keep over reality.

• chardun20
      8:16 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

I think some times people confuse opinions with facts. Fact, Reid Travis was not invited to the NBA Combine in 2018. My opinion, Reid Travis wasn’t going to be drafted in 2018, that’s why he came to UK and won’t get drafted this year. I hope does and do well in the NBA.

• Kywildcats09
      11:45 pm May 1, 2019 Permalink

There is no sense in even responded to people like this. His/her only motivation posting on here is to get a response.

• Corder
      10:16 am May 2, 2019 Permalink

So Ajax are you going to throw out the fact that Reid wanted to play for a team that was going to compete for a national championship as well as go to the tournament. Those were two things as well he wanted to do by coming to Kentucky and I would say Cal delivered on those two things. So two out of three is pretty damn good but like the others have stated you have no idea that he was going to be a second round draft pick and the fact that you leave out the parts that he did accomplish along with cal and the program show your agenda quite clear.