Report: Tai Wynyard enrolled for the spring semester

Tai-Wynyard-1200

It looks like Kentucky will add another player to its roster in January. According to 247 Sports, Tai Wynyard has enrolled at UK for the spring semester and is currently working on his student visa application. His mother says he plans to sign with Kentucky during the early signing period, which runs from November 11-18.

Does that mean the son of world-champion woodchoppers will be ready to play in January? Not necessarily. Earlier this fall, Wynyard said he was “50-50” on whether he would play this season or redshirt. John Calipari isn’t usually in favor of redshirting players, but with four big guys in the frontcourt already, you never know.

See you soon, Tai.

[247 Sports]

12 Comments for Report: Tai Wynyard enrolled for the spring semester

1. ukjaybrat
    10:21 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Cal’s not a fan of redshirting players, but I would assume he’s also not a fan of dropping in a wildcard in the middle of a season. what happens when we have a decent team that’s had 3+ months of playing together and playing well, then you drop in a new guy in the mix. It could be great, or it could be disastrous. I think the chances are good he will redshirt and practice with the team for the spring semester and if we end up with injuries and/or our bigs are struggling, only then will he break his red-shirt.

2. CorntuckyJoe
    10:23 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Unless you plan on staying 4/5 years, what is the purpose of a redshirt? If he plans on staying that long, he probably is not that good. I think we could use some more bulk, if only as a backup.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

on second thought, you’re probably right. He’d probably rather give him garbage time than red shirt, but i still doubt he gets any significant minutes in a big game this year

3. BobKYCats
    10:35 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Can we start calling the fall semester the Nokia semester?

4. Tai Wynyard
    10:41 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

I am going to teach the whole team the Haka war dance and I expect we will be able to use it before games by March!

5. blue7
    10:46 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

6’11” in shoes. 264 pounds in April. HE WILL PLAY THIS YEAR. We need the beef.

• za
      11:14 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

^ Exactly

• Ibescootch
      1:20 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

I agree. You can’t tell me that Isaac Humphries is better than Wynyard! And I don’t see why he would redshirt, unless there was a concern for the playing time for current players. I doubt he’d stay more than 2 years, so the redshirt would be pointless.

6. lexslamman
    11:21 am November 4, 2015 Permalink

Teach the team the Haka? How about you teach the whole state the Haka!

7. More the merrier
    2:37 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

Hope he does play, we need him. I just don’t see Lee giving us much this year, his offense is not good at all and hasn’t improved. He would be a great back up for us, play some D and rebound. From the his tapes, his offense is already ahead of Marcus. Humphries really won’t give us much either on the defensive end. Get him in here and get that jersey on him.

8. god
    5:26 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

He is good. I can’t wait to see what this kid can do.

9. bookend
    6:07 pm November 4, 2015 Permalink

What is a SPRINT semester? A cell phone deal?