Report: Rick Barnes in at Tennessee

That didn’t take long. After being fired from Texas this past weekend, Rick Barnes is reportedly in at Tennessee. Sources tell 247 Sports’ Jerry Meyers that the Vols and Barnes should have “an agreement in principle by the end of tonight.”

Good move for Tennessee and for Barnes, who won’t even have to change his wardrobe.

[247 Sports]

16 Comments for Report: Rick Barnes in at Tennessee

1. BobKYCats
    4:03 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Tennessee found themselves very fortunate here. When they fired Tyndall, I didn’t know who they could possibly get to replace him who was better, especially considering he only got a year.

But then Barnes got Barnesed, and Tennessee lucked out. Great hire.

2. Bluebloodtoo
    4:03 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Upgrades in the SEC. Love it.

Pearl, Barnes, and slim possibility of getting a shocker of a coach at MS.

3. Bluebloodtoo
    4:05 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

I have a sneaky feeling that the coaching carousel is going to get more interesting yet this year.

4. theWilkman
    4:07 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Great for UK. Barnes couldn’t even make the Sweet 16 with Kevin Durant.

• EdC
      4:25 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Exactly how I feel. I remember a lot of years that he has been loaded with big talent and ranked in the top 5 to never achieve really anything. He recruits well and somehow manages to evade the wrath of not living up to big expectations. I’m as glad they got him as I am Indiana is apparently keeping Crean.

5. dhighdrated
    4:08 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

tennessee upgraded from bubble to first weekend exit.

6. sf10275
    4:08 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Tennessee fans should be thrilled. I think its a great hire.

7. BTownUKFan
    4:13 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

I was wondering if Barnes might end up in the SEC. Him and Cal are pals so it should be fun and it will be another team to beat up on Florida.

8. sylvar
    4:15 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Glad to see SEC coaching talent going up a notch this offseason. Barnes isn’t awesome, but he will do well enough to make it interesting.

9. American Errorist
    4:16 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Good Hire. Definitely an upgrade from Tyndall. He looked like a muppet

10. Rixter
    4:24 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Immediately after being hired at Tennessee, he announced he is withdrawing his name from consideration for the Texas job.
    And the St Johns job
    Then the Alabama job.
    And finally, the EKU job.

11. EdC
    4:26 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Tubby’s agent is really not doing the job he used to. I haven’t seen the agent get Tubby’s name floated as being named for any of these jobs. That Tech job must be seriously low expectations and he is finally where he belongs.

12. secrick
    4:30 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Good hire in my book, i like the guy but it want be hard to start disliking him when he brings in the Vols.He’s had good teams and players, stayed out of trouble so good for Tenn and the SEC.

13. CPACAT
    5:24 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Agree with others that this is a great hire for UK and the SEC. He will bring in good talent that will pass the “look test”. Will win most games against inferior competition to make them seem better than they are. Will never win the league, no matter who he has in his stable, will be a good, mid-seeded NCAA tourney team most years, and will never-ever sniff the second weekend of the tournament.

14. vacat
    6:12 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

at least he won’t have to trade in his tie

15. KevinM
    6:58 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Here’s hoping Cal doesn’t take it easy on him despite the friendship.

Barnes survived 18 years at Texas; does he really have anything left?