Reid Travis weighs in on whether or not players should be paid

The debate over whether or not college players should be paid rages on, and with one of the brightest, most mature Wildcats to come through the program on today’s show, it only made sense to pick his brain on the subject. Reid Travis said he believes players should be paid, but praised the progress the NCAA has made on the matter since he started college in 2014.

“I do. I feel like there should be some type of compensation. Just being in college as long as I have, I know it’s a struggle sometimes to make ends meet, especially if your family doesn’t come from much money. I definitely would say, the hours that you put in and just the taxing on your body, you don’t have much time to get revenue from other sources.

“But I will say, I’ve seen the progression over the last five years as far as aid and different things as far as cost of attendance and ways that they help you out to give you money. So, it’s definitely gotten a lot better, but ultimately, I think there should be some kind of compensation.”

As for the other hot button issue, no, he doesn’t think players should be forced to go to college for a year before going to the NBA.

“No,” Reid said. “I feel like if you’re ready, you’re ready. At the end of the day, that’s between you and your family to make the decision that’s best for you. I think stopping that progress if kids show that they’re ready and it’s their time to do it, I feel like they should have the right and freedom to do so.”

Can Reid take Mark Emmert’s place, please?

[mobile_ad]

22 Comments for Reid Travis weighs in on whether or not players should be paid

1. StuckinLville
    6:16 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

They should definitely get a stipend per each month. But not paid like some probably have in mind.

• ukcats1776.90
      6:46 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

they do get stipends each month. a football player I knew got $900 cash money every month and he never even played a down. also got free school, free books (he resold those before classes even started), and 21 free meal swipes anywhere on campus every week.

• catdaddyd
      11:36 am April 11, 2019 Permalink

Do away with Title IX, do away with non revenue-producing sports. Then you can pay the players.

2. UKCatAttack
    6:37 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Paying players sounds great until you open the can of worms on execution. Do all players get paid the same? Does Zion get paid the same as a bench player? Do players at UK get paid the same as players at Murray St? Do the track athletes get paid too? If so, do they get paid the same? If players don’t get paid the same it would ultimately destroy whatever parity remains in college athletics. I don’t claim to know the answers but it isn’t as simple as saying just pay them.

• Catscats23
      6:45 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Agree! Does a volleyball player from popcorn state get played the same as starting PG at a perineal powerhouse? How would popcorn state afford to pay their athletes? They, although not the same level of revenue generation, put in the same amount of time and effort to their respective sport.

• Luether
      6:46 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

And do the female athletes get paid the same as the male ones?

• Catscats23
      6:46 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Payed*

• kevinhale423
      9:57 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

*paid

• trumpetguy
      6:49 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Not on topic I know, but how about Reid Travis on the coaching staff in a few years?

• ukcats1776.90
      6:56 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

they should make it like socialism. Zion and the female back-up shot putter from Missouri State get the same salary

• bluemark
      8:46 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

A “perineal” powerhouse? That just “taint” right. ?

3. SaltyGoat
    6:51 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Yeah yeah that’s great……wheres the football stuff

4. njCat
    7:25 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Every athlete that does not have the time or permission to earn their own spending money should get a stipend of some sort… say minimum wage for time spent on team activities.

In addition, players should be able to profit from their image, jersey sales, and endorsements.

This solution would solve the ‘I can’t work’ problem while allowing high profile athletes to earn more of a market based income.

• JT919
      8:18 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

This is the only correct answer.

• UKCatAttack
      8:33 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Yes that seems to be a good common sense solution.

• UKCatAttack
      8:36 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

The only rebuttal I could see from this plan is the national brand teams such as UK and Duke in basketball and the likes of Alabama and Notre Dame in football would likely provide athletes a higher earning potential than lesser programs.

• speaksthetruth
      9:40 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

I know what you are saying but don’t these schools get the best players anyway.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:42 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

UKCatAttack –

My only response, and this is not intended to be salty – So what?

Of course Zion, John Wall, Boogie, et al, especially if attending the aforementioned schools – are going to provide a higher earning potential. I would hope so. If a kid wants to play for Duke, UK, ‘Bama or ND – They need to make the cut. Why would anyone expect the third string point guard at Northern South Dakota State U to have the same facilities, competition, coaching, atmosphere or perks of a consensus number -one draft pick at UK, UNC or D*ke?
      This SHOULD be a meritocracy situation.

• UKCatAttack
      10:04 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Catandmonkey I am just playing Devils Advocate. If you check out my prior post I said it’s a good common sense plan but that’s the pushback you’d get from the lesser schools if that’s put into action and Could prevent the NCAA from allowing this. I’m all for it.

5. KYfaninTN
    8:50 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

I wonder what Reid’s Stanford and UK education costs.

6. kevinhale423
    9:59 pm April 10, 2019 Permalink

Players should be able to monetize their ‘person/likeness’ while in college.

7. UKLugo
    7:40 am April 11, 2019 Permalink

The One and Done rule IS NOT AN NCAA RULE!!!