We finally have some Reid Travis news: Travis is expected to miss at least two weeks after spraining his right knee during the Missouri game Tuesday night. After being stranded in Missouri for far too long, the team finally made it back to Lexington Wednesday afternoon. Once home, an MRI confirmed the sprain. No other damage to the knee was detected.

The news was sent out on behalf of the UK Athletics department. The release says Travis is expected to miss “at least two weeks.” Losing Travis for the next few games is tough for Kentucky, but having him back before the SEC Tournament (and, presumably, the NCAA Tournament) will be huge.

“I just feel so good that it was more of a sprain than anything else because you just get worried about that stuff when you see someone go down,” John Calipari said. “We are going to be very conservative with this, so he may be out a couple weeks. We hope he will be ready for around the conference tournament or maybe even a little bit before, but I’m happy for Reid that we’re going to get him back.”

Prayers for a quick and easy recovery for Travis.

@MaggieDavisKSR

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

97 Comments for REID TRAVIS UPDATE: MRI confirms knee sprain but no further damage; expected to miss two weeks

1. runningunnin.454
    9:00 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Thumbs up; feel better soon.

• unbridled
      9:28 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Thumbs up and 2 weeks is too long. Get back into the battle big fella.

• damage_control
      10:13 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cool Dr Unbridled. Tell us more fun stories

• bluecrowe
      10:19 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Honestly, I do not know what to believe about Reid’s status. I am not sure they would report the truth at this point if it is worse. They lied to us for months about Vanderbilt saying he was day to day and he literally just played his first mins of basketball since the injury only 10 days ago. It would not be in their interest to tell us and the rest of the nation if the injury is more complicated than a sprain.

• unbridled
      11:15 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Travis will play against UT.

• chris43
      3:59 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I certainly hope so! I live on the KY/TN border and to say the UT fans were getting cocky leading up to the game is a major understatement! Once we beat the living crap outta them it was “y’all only won because the refs” or “Rupp a rees”. Sad when fans can’t simply admit they took a major whipping. Oh how I’d love to win in Knoxville and hear even more sad, lame, and pathetic excuses.

• unbridled
      11:18 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

The impact was not catastrophic. He likely strained his LCL. He needs to get therapy and rest. He’s fine. The kid is faaaaar too tough to let this prematurely end his college career. They aren’t hiding anything.

• CatsfaninFL
      7:03 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I agree unbridled. He popped back up, jogged down on defense and only came out once we had possession back. I’ve blown my knee out before… a) you know/feel a snap immediately b) you don’t feel that and then be like nah I’ll walk it off… i’m guessing this is precautionary and something some rest and rehab will knock out quickly.

• IrishCat
      7:22 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

bluecrowe the problem w/ your analogy is you’re comparing Reid Travis’s heart to that of Jared Vanderbilt.

• JASUN74
      6:19 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Irishcat you have no idea about the heart of Jarred!! I like you but don’t be that guy!! He gave 110% when he was on the damn floor and probably shouldn’t have even been playing. Just leave it alone if you don’t like him because he’s a cat and did chose UK over every big time program in America. Thanks buddy.

2. ScottGreene22
    9:00 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Get well big fella we are going to need you down the stretch

• syrin23
      10:09 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, need for the UT game for sure.

• unbridled
      11:19 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I think he will play against UT…..but I also don’t think the cats NEED him to win

3. StillBP
    9:01 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Everyone exhale lol

• BBNmemberinoh
      9:53 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Will do that when he actually does return.

4. bigbluebanana
    9:02 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Good deal.

• unbridled
      9:29 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I still think he can play sooner. 2 weeks is an eternity

• bigbluebanana
      9:43 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I want him to take all the time he needs. Not only do he comes back 100%, but this is going to be a blessing in disguise for EJ and Nick. If EJ and Nick seize this opportunity the way we all want them to, UK kicks into an even higher gear that absolutely no team will want a piece of.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:20 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

What medical knowledge are you relying on to form an opinion?

• unbridled
      11:20 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Me? My wife. Take it for what it’s worth.

5. UKCatAttack
    9:02 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Great news! Now is an opportunity for Nick and EJ to develop and contribute the National Championship quest.

• syrin23
      10:11 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Let’s hope so. What became apparent in last night’s game was how strong Reid Travis is compared to Nick Richards. On defense, Nick kept getting pushed down deep on the block. Cal brought in Reid and they couldn’t move him an inch off the block. We need that strong presence in the paint to go all the way for sure.

6. mreconomy
    9:02 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Bowser!!

7. bigbluebanana
    9:03 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Off topic, but this Florida/LSU is a good one. I think LSU is a very, very good team, but there’s no way Nazr Reed didn’t graduate high school the same year I did in 2000.

• runningunnin.454
      9:16 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Florida up 4 with 8 sec left in OT; and, our friend, Mash, says the SEC is not any good, and he quotes some buffoon that says SEC is not watchable. Hah.

• StillBP
      9:17 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yep, they chomped em!

• runningunnin.454
      9:21 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

It won’t last; but, I liked the chomp tonight. Gators shouldn’t expect me on the bandwagon after tonight.

• bigbluebanana
      9:36 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Our win at Florida is looking better now! Kinda pulling for at least Florida to put a run in to be yet another SOLID SEC team going dancing. So, do we root for Tennessee to beat LSU Saturday?

• KYjellyRoll
      10:55 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If TN loses to LSU then our chance at a regular season crown increases

• StillBP
      9:37 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

And Zion busted through his shoe tonight. That was odd. Not a good look for Nike. Now Duke fans are holding their breath.

• bigbluebanana
      9:44 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

BP, just saw he’s out for the game. I hope he’s okay, but this could drastically change the college b-ball landscape if he’s out for an extended period.

• mashburnfan1
      9:49 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

See if LSU uses same excuse we did when we lost to LSU. UK fan says well we were looking ahead to the UT game, I guess LSU was looking ahead since they play UT next. I have also said LSU looks the part but just not showing it, PG is way overrated but bigs seem pretty good. And all the UF win does in prove my point morons. SEC is weak, a 2 team league. LSU also lost to a bad bad Ark team, recently. Struggled at UGA. USC is all the proof you need, 9-4 in a weak SEC but struggled vs SC Upstate, Coastal Carolina and lost to Wyoming, Stony Brook, Providence and then Wofford by 20, you’ve seen the list since you are obsessed with my posting. Really hope this year the NCAA lets more mid majors in the tourney, they will have a chance to be a Loyola, you remember that power that went to the F4 from our weak region last year.

• bigbluebanana
      10:05 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Shut up mashburnstan, no one at all cares what you have to say. The only reason people talk to you is because you’re so annoying and we just want you to go away. You’re like that dude in high school that invites himself everywhere and tells the cops we are smoking a joint. Can’t just have a good time and enjoy our team without you showing up and saying something so insanely stupid we can’t help but become frustrated. Besides, I thought you me thing now was joining bigolblue in making immature mom jokes about people’s dead moms? There is literally no one here that thinks your intelligent, literally no one here would miss you if you were gone forever…and I’m assuming that’s true in your real life too. Do us all a favor and gtfo.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Gee Mash, ha ha ha…I don’t think I’m a moron, considering I have 15 years higher education, including a 7 year Harvard/MGH residency/fellowship.
      The Fla-LSU game was a great game, played at a high level.
      Lastly, I am not obsessed with you, I just hate to see a grown man using reductive, micro-focused, juvenile logic.

• bigbluebanana
      11:07 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

454, way to put him in his place. I have a master’s from Michigan state, almost as good as Harvard right? Lol. Please do t ever turn into an idiot troll like bashburn up there, the arguments would be too tough! In all fairness though, mashburnfan has season tickets, did you know that? I’m not sure if he’s mentioned it enough for everyone to see.

• 4everUKblue
      7:53 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

So mashburnfan got burned again, nothing new there, but I can’t wait to hear his excuse for dUKe losing last night. mashburnfan is just a very sad clown with no life outside of criticizing UK and Cal. Get a life little buddy.

8. BlueWildcat_99
    9:06 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Thank goodness!!! Please get well soon, Reid! I literally was up till after 1 AM worried about it

9. Bigblue7982
    9:07 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Could be a silver lining out of this since now nick and EJ will get more minutes.

10. henderblue
    9:08 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Good news. Florida about to beat LSU

11. ScottGreene22
    9:08 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Florida first to 71 and should hold on too get a huge W.

12. jeri
    9:08 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Such good news! I’m happy for Reid and the team. Praying for a speedy recovery!! Go Cats

13. maximumscott
    9:09 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

The 2 weeka is Cal. He doesnt care about anything else except NCAA tourny cant say i blame him. Reid will be practicing with the team a week before he plays. He will be ready for the Tourny

14. KYjellyRoll
    9:10 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Glad it’s only a sprain but he will be dearly missed vs TN

15. cats646
    9:11 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes!!!! Great news. Come back sting Reid!!!!!!!

16. ChetSteadmansSalisburySteak
    9:13 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Glad it’s only a sprain, but I don’t expect we’ll see him back before the NCAA Tourney. Cal is going to want a 100% Reid Travis for that and I just don’t see him pushing for a quick comeback to play in an SEC Tournament that Cal sees as pointless basketball to being with.

• bigbluebanana
      9:45 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I agree, but he may want Reid to get the practice of big time games under his belt before tourney time.

17. NJReturns
    9:17 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Down goes LSU.

18. DelrayCat
    9:21 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

This is a HUGE blessing in disguise.
    Losing Reid allows EJ and Nick to get more minutes.
    We are really going to need them both to be ready in the big dance and to be at their max confidence level. Cal will use this injury to his team’s advantage big time…win or lose the SEC regular season title.

• cking
      9:42 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Your right..this could be big..IF they can help when PJ gets doubled..we definitely need rim protection!

19. Bleedblueky
    9:21 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Speedy Recovery Reid and BBN Love your 100% effort on each every game ?

20. catheaven
    9:24 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Great new, Reid! Been holding my breath for you all day. Rest and take care and BBN will await to watch your talents again. God bless. And now I can sleep tonight.

21. clarks
    9:25 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t doubt he ends up back for tenn

22. dballrb
    9:30 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Bueller…Bueller…

23. deputy305
    9:32 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Bet he’s back for Tenn

24. runningunnin.454
    9:37 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Zion injured tonight against UNC; went down clutching his knee.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      6:50 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

This will be a true test if K is really a coach that star players want. Is he prepared to do what is best for Zion or is he going to do what is best for Duke?

25. jeri
    9:37 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

5:48 left in the first half …NC 30. Duke 17

• BBNmemberinoh
      10:02 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yep, 2 of the supposed top teams in the country are a combined 3-34 from 3 at halftime. I miss the days of basketball when guys could actually shoot, dribble and pass well. Now it is all about how athletic they are. Also NIKE gotta be feeling some heat with Zion and his shoe malfunction.

26. cking
    9:39 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

That’s Awesome News for Reid and the team!

This gives Nick and EJ a chance to get some valuable reps.

The downside is Not having Reid gives teams a chance to double PJ…they will definitely have to adjust that.

I doubt he would be back for the trip to Knoxville..but..
    If Tennessee loses at LSU this Saturday then we are in a three way tie, and that trip to Knoxville would be for first place in the SEC and a likely one seed..

Think about that!!

• Rixter
      9:50 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

A 2-way tie with LSU does the Cats no good. LSU either has to be a game behind UK, or in a 3-way tie…..

• cking
      10:06 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Dang Rixter your correct..

27. bigbluebanana
    9:40 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

On another side note: the dook/UNC game is wild! Zion injures 33seconds into the game, looked really funky. Not gruesome, but one of those that might last a while. Worse than Reid’s looked last night. Dook medical staff says he will not return tonight and he’s still in the locker room. I don’t wish any of our rivals any physical harm, especially to someone as dynamic as Zion, he’s a special player. But can y’all imagine if he’s out for an extended period? It drastically changes the college landscape. Truly hope it’s not serious. Get well soon both of y’all big fellas.

• runningunnin.454
      9:52 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Well said, hate to see any kid injured; they said they took Zion’s Mom into the locker room to be with him.
      I saw that there were 3 or 4 NBA players that had MRI’s today; also a baseball player, I think for the Mets. Looks like an epidemic.

• RealCatsFan
      9:53 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Zion’s shoe blew completely apart. Never seen anything like that before. That along with the way he dented that ball with his fingers makes me convinced that he is not human.

28. cking
    9:40 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Love that LSU lost!!!

29. DWBluetoo
    9:50 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Zions injury did not look good at all. Cant stand him, but I do hope the kid is alright.

• RealCatsFan
      9:54 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

It didn’t look terrible to me – kind of like he did the sits. Seemed like he might have pulled something in the back of his knee.

• bigbluebanana
      10:08 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

You should’ve just left it at “he did the sits”! Lol. That gave me a good laugh.

• RealCatsFan
      9:56 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Did the splits – dammit, can’t type.

30. Larkin123
    9:51 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes yes yes yes

31. DWBluetoo
    9:52 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I for one could care less about a 1 seed. Seems every time we get a 1, we get royally screwed in the bracket.

32. RealCatsFan
    9:55 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

33. Wow! I just looked at the Zion injury highlight. Crazy stuff. Maybe it was an anomaly, but Nike is going to have to explain how that shoe blew out.

• bigbluebanana
      10:10 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

His foot probably grew 7 inches in a split second, like a wolfman breaking through his people clothes. I hate dook, but that kid is a freak in a good way. Truly do hope he’s okay.

• Huff
      10:10 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Yes that’s crazy! My thoughts exactly, horr look for Nike.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I doubt if it is really serious, but you can bet they will sit Zion to be cautious. If it does turn out that it is a bad injury, I wonder if that will put more pressure on the powers that be to eliminate the one-and-done rule.

• Duke fans are still into it even with the injury and UNCheat running away with it.

• BBB, it reminds me of the Hulk busting out of his clothes!

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Cg, still looking for my big ass mallet to play whack a nerd with the dook fans. 😉

• I remember seeing an article several years ago where they interviewed players and asked them to anonymously rate the toughest gyms to play in. One player said Cameron wasn’t really that tough cuz it was just nerds yelling at you. Haha!

• J-Dub421
      11:18 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Is there a weight limit on those Nikes?

• FKCat
      11:38 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Was that what Jimmy Dykes would call a “violent” cut???

34. And I see Syracuse pounded U of LOL.

35. Huff
    10:09 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Thank Goodness!

36. Racerr11
    10:15 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

I bet Reid plays against Tn, little r&r late in season.

37. bigbluebanana
    11:10 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

UNC just destroyed dook, and I’m not sure having Zion would’ve helped much. If you were wondering g how dook would react to adversity, this is it. Still, as CG mentioned earlier, we could take a lesson from dook fans tonight. They kept on cheering, they applauded their team at the end, and they stayed for the whole thing.

38. Han
    11:30 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Travis and Zion sprained knees in back-to-back days.

39. Ridge Runner
    11:54 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

Duke loses, Reid back in a couple weeks. All is right in the world.

40. friendsofcoal
    11:59 pm February 20, 2019 Permalink

If Zion comes back this year period after this scare then he needs his head checked while they’re checking the knee. That kid has a little bit at risk playing against these other little children. I’ve got a feeling that I know how Cal would handle him. Players first, you’re sitting the rest of the year.

41. friendsofcoal
    12:00 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

You can say “insurance policy” all you want but it wouldn’t pay anywhere near what that boy has coming his way.

42. bbncricket
    12:23 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

I have been on “Reid watch” for 24 hours and must have put up a thousand prayers! Not for us but for him. He has given bbn so much! Now I can finally go and get some sleep. Heal quickly big guy. Lots of prayers were out there for you. We love you Reid. Get well soon…

43. somerset bill
    2:55 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

Good news. Happy for him. And for us.

One thing to think about with Zion Williamson. Just as EJ and Nick will get better while Reid is out, Duke will become a more well-rounded group with Williamson out. The fact that so much of their scoring was coming from two guys was a weakness that seemed like it could be exploited if we met them again in the tournament.

• BCO
      7:58 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

As evidenced by the fact they got trounced at home by UNC? i see the point youre trying to make but theres no way theyre improved in any way, shape, or form without him. All that means is ballhog Barrett will shoot even more than he already does and Cam Reddish finally remembers hes on the team. Those two scored like 70% or more of their scoring last night and unc still curb stomped them.

• somerset bill
      1:49 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Other guys get Zion’s minutes for a couple weeks. They get used more. They get better. Zion returns. If we, or some other team, are able to sit one of the 2 main guys with foul trouble, it’s not as big of a problem for them, since the other guys got better with Zion out. The comment had nothing to do with the team’s abilities while Zion is out.

44. bigbluenationmbb
    8:19 am February 21, 2019 Permalink

The way he locked down Williams hopefully we get him back before then but at least it give Montgomery and Richards more pt go cats

45. somerset bill