RECAP: Kentucky’s season ends in heartbreak

UNC-5118

Where do you even start with a game like this? Coming in, we know this game would be tough, but I don’t think anyone anticipated that. In a way, this game felt like a microcosm of the entire season. North Carolina controlled the first half, but just when it looked like it could get out of hand, Kentucky rallied, making a gutsy comeback to take the lead with 6:41 left thanks to the unlikeliest of heroes. Isaac Humphries, who, two weeks ago, was questioning his future at Kentucky, hit the free throw to put the Cats ahead, and kept firing to push the lead to five with five minutes left. Unfortunately, for every big shot Kentucky made, North Carolina responded. The Tar Heels were up seven with a minute left, and it looked like Kentucky’s fate was sealed, but the Cats didn’t give up thanks to huge threes from De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk. Monk, who struggled most of the game, did as Monk does and drained a three to tie the score with ten seconds left, but North Carolina’s Luke Maye hit a jumper seven seconds later to seal the win. From there, the game, and Kentucky’s season, was over.

The dramatic ending aside, you can see why Kentucky lost. It seemed like the entire team was in foul trouble from the start, a point Calipari hammered home in the postgame presser.

“You know, it’s amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my team,” Cal said. “Amazing that we had a chance. So proud of how these guys fought. So proud of Isaac. Can you imagine his first real opportunity to do this was in this game, and he performed? Amazing.”

The fact that Isaac scored 12 is just the tip of the bizarre iceberg. With so many players in foul trouble in the first half, Dominique Hawkins stepped up and carried the load, scoring ten points before halftime to keep the Cats within striking distance. Malik Monk, who had 47 vs. North Carolina in Vegas in December, was out of sorts, finishing with only 12 points, six of those in the final minute. De’Aaron Fox, who had 39 points on Friday night, finished with 13 from 5-14 from the floor. Bam Adebayo had 13 points, five from the free throw line.

Novels could be written about the officiating and yes, this matchup should have taken place in the Final Four and not the Elite Eight, but instead of focusing on the negative, I’m going to remember how this team rallied. The outcome clearly wasn’t what we had all hoped, but a few months ago, could you have imagined this team making it this far? If you’re looking for some solace, remember how bad things were in the middle of the conference season. A tearful De’Aaron Fox said it best.

“We went through that stretch and we lost those games and everybody talked about how we didn’t care. This isn’t a locker room that looks like guys don’t care. I love my brothers, man.”

In the past two months and especially the last seven games, this team endeared itself to the BBN. It was a fast and furious courtship, but this group was well on its way to becoming one of the most beloved of the Calipari era for their resiliency, fearlessness, and swagger.

The next few days will be full of speculation about who’s going to the draft and who’s coming back, but it speaks to the character of this squad that none of the players asked — many of which are projected to go in the top ten of the draft — were focusing on that.

“I really don’t know right now,” Malik Monk said. “I haven’t talked to my mom, brother, or coach yet. We’ll talk about that later.”

“I’m not thinking about that right now,” Fox said, cutting off a reporter. “I love these guys. I’m not thinking about what’s next.”

Right now, the cruelest part of today’s loss may feel like Luke Maye’s dagger, but I have a feeling in the weeks and months to come, it will be the fact that Kentucky’s season ended just as fans were falling in love with this squad.

UNC-5140

123 Comments for RECAP: Kentucky’s season ends in heartbreak

1. UKfanman01
    9:11 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

UNC controlled the first half because of the bullshit whistles. Willis was called for a foul fighting for a loose ball that was going to be his. #3 on UNC was a foul maggot who never fouled out. They lauded his over the backs and praised his pushes to the back.

• BanjoBeliever
      9:32 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

It was so close, and they fought hard. They made it to the Elite 8 – and I wish they had been able to go all the way. Best wishes to Fox, BAM, Monk, Willis, Briscoe, and ALL of the team for the future.

• syrin23
      10:23 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I will NEVER agree with sitting your crucial players for an entire half no matter how many fouls they have. You are better having them foul out than having them play the rest of the game and lose, but not fouling out which is EXACTLY what happened tonight.

• syrin23
      10:29 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Let’s not forget to thank the NCAA for power f’ing us in the brackets either. We would have had the hardest path to the final game of any team by far.

10:52 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I sure am glad syrin23 is NOT coaching UK. Where do you think would would have been in the second half with our crucial players eliminated on fouls? Moron!

• syrin23
      10:57 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Winning.

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Have to agree with Syrin23; if a starter we need in the game gets his 2nd foul with 12 minutes left in the first half, sit him and calm him down; then put him back in. If he and others you depend on are on the bench, it’s like they’ve already fouled out.

11:46 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Sorry runninggunin if Fox and Monk had fouled out in the first half we wouldn’t have been close at the end. As it was we were right there. If you two notice just about every good coach sits his players if they get two fouls in the first half so I am gonna have to go with the real coaches and not the armchair coaches.

• AGSlater
      12:02 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Fox shoulda been back in there no doubt. 4 ever blue is the most biased fan ever

• AGSlater
      12:03 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

The 2 foul thing is not a rule. Coaches are copycats

• syrin23
      11:59 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Then you all should be happy. None of our guys fouled out and we lost.

*golf clap*

Morons.

5:39 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

AG again, you are an idiot and a crybaby. I have been a fan since Rupp, when you HAD to listen to the games on the radio because they weren’t televised. I listened to the Texas Western game as a young kid and cried when they lost. I am a fan not a damned critic and a fair weather idiot, you are not a fan. Show a coach worth mentioning who does not sit key players with two fouls in the first half. Even Pitino from your favorite team does. So crawl back into your crib AG and STFU!

5:41 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

OF COURSE THE TWO FOUL THING IS NOT A RULE YOU MORON!! You just proved the magnitude of your ignorance with that one statement AG!

5:43 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

And Syrin23 you too are an idiot. When you get a coaching job and can prove you know a damned ting about coaching hit me back. Until then you and AG can comfort each other, you’re from the same mold.

• catsarerunnin
      7:29 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

If Cal hadn’t sat Fox with 2 fouls,he would have fouled out by halftime or shortly thereafter. Cal made the decision not because of an unwritten rule but because of how the game was being called. I don’t like to blame refs for losses but they made an impact on this game by calling it close especially on one end of the court in the first half. But that’s part of the game. This entire tournament has been poorly officiated and officiating as a whole continues to get worse. Ticky tack fouls are called on the perimeter while a WWE style match goes on in the paint. And a foul on one end of the court is a foul on the other end.

• Rixter
      8:47 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Syrin, I’ve ALWAYS wondered why a coach would sit his best player when he doesn’t HAVE to. If the kid fouls out, he has to. With 2 fouls, he doesn’t. And especially a guard, they aren’t as susceptible to fouls as guys down low. It just seems like a waste of talent, to me.

• syrin23
      11:04 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

4everblueballs. Here are the facts. NO ONE fouled out and we LOST The game. If we had gotten 6-10 more minutes with our starters we win. It’s so simple, yet you lack the intellectual ability to grasp. Yet you are the self proclaimed expert. When did you coach? But hey, at least NO ONE FOULED OUT AND WE LOST, so clearly your brilliant coaching strategy works,… for the other team. The FACTS SUPPORT ME, a’hole.

2. Ridge Runner
    9:12 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Very special group who I certainly loved.

3. catsarerunnin
    9:13 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Still love my team. Go Cats!

4. KYcats11
    9:24 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I live this team with all my heart, one of the most fun teams I’ve ever watched.

5. henderblue
    9:24 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

They made many great memories over the course of the season for BBN. The cards were continuously stacked against this team in the post season and they overcame it until tonight. The NCAA wanted the story written the way it was written today. I’m proud of the fight those kids displayed.

6. KYcats11
    9:28 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Selfishly, I’m wondering if there’s any chance one of our main 3 stay. I’ve never been this heartbroken in a while. love this group of kids.

• SanDiegoDave
      9:44 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

No chance.

• Han
      9:45 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Monk and Fox are solidly lotto, so I can’t imagine them coming back. Bam could probably improve his stock, but I don’t know where he sees himself next year.

• syrin23
      10:24 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know. Monk used the post season to show scouts he’s a streaky scoring with below average defense. I think he used the post season to lower his draft status. He’s a first round pick, but I would be surprised if he was a lottery pick after his March showing.

• Aar
      10:26 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I’m afraid Adebayo’s family financial situation will prevail in his decision to go pro this summer. With his progress this year, work ethic and growing basketball IQ, I see a bright, prosperous basketball future starting for him this summer. I suspect he’ll get picked earlier than projected and follow a path similar to Patrick Patterson’s, maybe Terrence Jones or DeAndre Liggins (sans rage issue). Most importantly, he’ll buy his momma the house of her (modest) dreams. I’m looking forward to following his pro career the most of all of these 2016-17 Cats.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:27 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Fox and Monk are going to be like a lot of Cal-era kids. They would probably come back for another season except their high draft status basically forces them to go because they can’t endanger millions of dollars in earnings by staying in college another year. Bam may be lottery too by now, so the same applies to a lesser degree.

I think the regional probably saved Humphries at UK and made him a key returner next year. And Briscoe still has things that can be improved in college (shooting percentage). Those two could start most teams in the country and would give us an awesome veteran core for next season. And they and the other vets should have a chip on their shoulders after yesterday, too.

• Rixter
      8:50 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

If Briscoe could develop a fairly consistent jump shot, no reason that kid couldn’t be a lottery pick, with his defense, his toughness, and his ability to get to the basket.

7. Sarahvah
    9:29 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

it’s true. I think all of us were falling in love with this group. I’m sad that Dom and Willis are gone now, and Fox who was becoming a much better point guard had his season cut short. UNC is a good team and I think it’s nice for Luke to hit a shot like that, but I wish it hadn’t been against us.

• bluetide
      9:38 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Uh NO Sarah UNC is full of a buncha guys who chose to go play for scandal-ridden yet unpunished program. Get your facts straight before you go praising any of em.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

UNC is an institution of shame…if I were to drive through Chapel Hill, and one of their diplomas was blown into my car; I would be aghast.
      Once you have one of those things, you can never get rid of it.

• Luether
      12:00 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

What a stupid post. You gotta be kidding…

• keiths
      6:09 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Go EAD idiot

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:29 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

UNC is a scandal-ridden school that should have been crippled by sanctions, yes, but it wasn’t these kids who did any of that. They are not responsible for what their school did. Roy is, to a big degree, but not the kids. Take a lesson from the Cats and be graceful in defeat rather than petty.

8. Han
    9:31 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Gonna be a tough next couple weeks. Guys will announce they’re leaving. Haters will mock us. And a lot of UK fans are going to spew a lot of hate at Cal and issue promises about us never winning another title, etc.

Just looking forward to next season now.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:19 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

If 8 players leave (like Cal said) we won’t win it all next year either. It will just add to the narrative. I like what Cal has done at UK…but there will be haters regardless because he bring scrutiny. We won’t win next year because we will have too many freshmen. We might have a good chance the year after if players stay.

9. Catlogic15
    9:31 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Drew can post his big winning ticket on UK +2 1/2 and make everyone feel a lot better since KSR has become a gambling tout service now. What’s our big gambling play this weekend Drew?
    Screw whether we won or lost the game.

10. SanDiegoCats
    9:35 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

By far the hardest tournament schedule of the calipari era and we just about did it. Really enjoyed this team. I was in Vegas for the unc game. Will never forget it.

11. Mc12
    9:42 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

It is time to have a 6 foul limit and a review/challenge system on questionable calls. No reason a call or two by refs not accustomed to quick play should dictate outcomes

12. SanDiegoDave
    9:43 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Got beat by a better team. Oh, well. Time to reload with the next group of freshmen and rinse and repeat. Good year.

• runningunnin.454
      9:49 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Better team, my a$$. That’s two games the stripes have given NC.
      The no-calls were worse than the calls.

8:07 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

I agree with you on this one runninggunin!

13. nicky
    9:44 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Again….thanks so much TT for all your time and effort….much appreciated!

14. AGSlater
    10:00 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Not sure why I spend so much time and emotions watching cats only to be crushed every year. Is it worth it anymore? We will probably have another 14 year drought to the next title

• Sarahvah
      10:03 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

or when the UL banner comes down it’ll have been like 30 for you all

• Booby Petrino
      10:05 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Then go away. Bye.

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Why can’t you understand that it’s not all about the TITLES. It’s about the ride, and watching great young men represent our University and State with honor, pride, and dignity.
      North Carolina may win the title, but would I trade UK for that institution of shame…..no.

• AGSlater
      10:56 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

???? Why play the games if not to try and win title. You play to win the game. Get outta here with your ride nonsense

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Spend more time worrying about the NCAA hammer that’s about to come down on your boys at UofL.

• sp
      10:32 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Then why do we always talk about banners and our chase for number 9. It is about titles. I’m glad we don’t have to make fake classes or hire prostitutes to get players, but it’s still about winning even for us. there are plenty of other players who would grow up and be good people. Why doesn’t cal go after them? He recruits kids who can help potentially win a title. Period.

11:01 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I love this team, I love Cal and I love this program. I am proud of the way they fought tonight. What I don’t love is all the negativity among a lot of so called UK fans. Either you’re with us or your against us…take a stand on one side or the other. University of Little Brother is accepting new fans!

11:03 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

AG just get the f**k outta here period with your idiotic remarks!

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

AG is an immature whining crybaby. Check his posts under the live blog…psychosis is a terrible thing.
      @sp yeah sure, everybody wants to win; but, we have 8 titles…what does it take for you and AG to be satisfied?
      Look at Gonzaga and South Carolina; they’ve never been to a final four at all; Oregon hasn’t been since 1939; Northwestern had never played in an NCAA tournament game ever; but, I doubt their fans are as childish as some of the UK fans I see on here.

• AGSlater
      12:05 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Comparing uk to s.c and gonzaga is under phsycosis. Please. Look at the recruiting.

• catsarerunnin
      7:53 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Slater good luck finding a sport where “your” team never lose. If you can’t handle heartbreak maybe you shouldn’t be a “fan”. Instead you should start your own snowflake/bandwagon site so you and others like you can complain,whine and make insane comments.

8:09 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Very well said catsarerunnin! Slater IS a snowflake or a flake at best!

• Rixter
      8:53 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Slater, if you’re not sure why you spend so much time watching the Cats, and posting on this board, I’ll tell you: You have no life. No friends, and no prospects. I think if you’ll hang a pork chop around your neck, maybe the neighborhood dogs will play with you.
      Good luck.

15. AndTheDevil
    10:07 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

We played the first half with 4 of our 5 starters on the bench and lost on a last second shot. I hate the lose, but can’t blame the kids.

• Luether
      12:02 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Who missed all the FTs??

• AndTheDevil
      1:36 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

And UNC missed more FTs than us. They hit theirs, we lose still. “If we…” only works if you do it for both teams. Don’t forget the UNC kid missed the front of a 1 and 1 before Monk tied the game. He hits that and it was over anyways.

8:10 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Seems Luether and Slater are snowflake buddies.

16. AndTheDevil
    10:11 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

*loss

17. Mc12
    10:12 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

This needs to be pushed for: 6 foul limit, quarters to reduce ref influence vs the bonus, and coaches should get 1 challenge per game. If they win it they keep it

• Angelo
      10:39 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

great ideas! how about one challenge per half? refs decided this game…

• Rixter
      8:56 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. On the Jackson 4 point play, Monk touched him on the hip with his fingers. Yet, on Monk’s last 3 pointer, TWO guys banged full body into him, no call. Not to mention the mugging Fox got on that last drive to the basket in the first half. Cal could have challenged and won 10 calls that game

18. sp
    10:13 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I hope that one of these years a couple of our freshmen decide to return and go on a mission to win the title instead of reloading with more freshmen and continuing to lose to teams that had players come back and were on a mission to win a title.

• AGSlater
      10:59 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Cal pushes them out though. Kansas, nc have really good players that arent all one and dones.

• ClutchCargo
      11:49 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Kansas consistently chokes. Try again, dumbass.

• Luether
      12:03 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

People in hell hope for ice water…

• catsarerunnin
      7:32 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

And people who are stupid hope for intelligence…

• BigBlueMeade
      9:41 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

We have had a lot of guys stay at least two years. The twins, T Jones, WCS for three years, Poythress for four, Johnson, ect.. if you can’t see that Cal has tried many times to recruit guys who might stay 2-4 years then you haven’t seen the guys coming off the bench like Humphreys, SKJ, Gabriel, and Wynyard. Cal knows what he is doing, makes sense when you think about it. You know, he is the millionaire coach that everyone wants and you negative folk posting here are just random guys who think they know better.

19. Aar
    10:13 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I’ve loved this team from the day they signed through Monk’s pre-season reachback dunk, the losses, the step-aside D, the Reboot and Dom’s offensive maturation to everything they each do in the future. I hope they all achieve their dreams – wherever that may take them. That is true of whether it is professionally, in Lexington, at another school (still love Wiltjer) or outside the sport. This has been a really fun ride! Looking forward to the next Kentucky Wildcats basketball season…

20. Lip Man 1
    10:16 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Wish all the players well in their future. I expect four to leave although Briscoe has no business even thinking he’s going to be drafted but again, that’s his call and he’ll have to live with whatever happens.

On another note just thinking here in the aftermath and I was struck by something. Fair or unfair Cal is going to have to start dealing with a perception (maybe accurate for all I know) of his teams falling apart at the end of important tournament games.

Consider:

* The loss to Kansas in the NCAA title game with the missed free throws. The game was seemingly in hand and a title won.

* The loss to Wisconsin in the Final Four game. UK has a four point lead with four minutes to go and then not once, not twice but THREE TIMES is called for a shot clock violation. That simply doesn’t happen anywhere let alone to a program on UK’s level. But it did. And the perfect season vanished.

* Then you had Sunday, trip to the Final Four on the line, UK is up five with five to go. UNC goes on a 12-0 run to take control…poof end of season (granted UK hit some impossible shots to get the tie but they ultimately still lost the game)

Like I said it may be very unfair but there’s an old saying if something happens once, it’s a fluke…twice it’s a coincidence…THREE TIMES? You’ve got a trend. And that’s something he may have to start to address or at least examine closely to see if there are any solid reasons it seems to keep happening. That way he may be able to make some adjustment to correct it.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      10:23 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

UK never lost to Kansas in a title game under Calipari. Every game in the tournament is important and only 1 team is happy at the end of the year.

• original slappy
      7:21 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

He’s talking about when he was at Memphis. Everything doesn’t revolve around UK basketball.

• Rixter
      8:59 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Falling apart? I’m sorry you missed yesterday’s game, it was a good one. Cats trailed by 7 with 50 seconds left, and scored 9 points in 43 seconds.

21. ukrain
    10:20 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I like what we have coming in next year, along with some guys staying. Very proud of this team. This group was really young- not the size of previous teams, and Cal took a group of kids that few thought would get here and took them far!

• AGSlater
      11:01 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Yeah ksr eill hype the crap out of the team for ratings undeserved and we will be crushed once again at the end of the year

• catsarerunnin
      7:33 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

UL lost earlier Slater. Still butt hurt?

22. KYcats11
    10:23 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Here goes the worst period of the year. No major UK sports. I fell in love with this team as it was walking away, as did many. That video brought tears to my eyes.

23. BMT
    10:26 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I kinda figured after the game against UCLA, we’d struggle against UNC tonight. Honestly, I was expecting a 6 – 8 point loss but then to actually have a chance to win and lose on last second shot…..man, that really sucks. I don’t have a problem with the one and done system necessarily but I do feel like the kids who’ve stuck around the program (especially the KY kids) tend to endear themselves to the fan base more. I’m really gonna miss Hawkins and Willis. I also hope that tonight gave Humphries a new perspective on his ability to be a contributor and ultimately that he decides to come back next year.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:32 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Just as UCLA found out, it’s hard to beat a truly elite team twice in a single season. Had UNC won in December, we would have probably won yesterday. There were no historically great teams this year, but there were about twenty pretty good ones, and UNC and UK were two of them.

24. wildcatstrat41
    10:37 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

25. Aar
    10:41 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

If I may, this evening, I’m really proud to be a part of Big Blue Nation. My memory is not that clear but I recollect a program that initially denied that an assistant coach had ever overnight shipped money to a recruit. Then, it acknowledged the truth, internalized it, cleaned house and thoroughly fixed the problem. Well, we don’t know that the problem is fixed but there’s no smoke. So, I assume there’s no fire.

This program is overflowing with players who finish their seasons saying they love their brothers. Players take medically challenged people into their lives and hearts. Former players donate millions of dollars of their pro contracts to charity. That gives me pride as a member of BBN.

It’s about the way you do it!

26. Angelo
    10:46 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

I want the bigs to try more three’s like the NBA. Cousins, Humphries, Karl… Hell, Mayes beat us trying a three that turned into a two…

27. etp714
    10:57 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Just think of the team we would have next year if two or three of the main starters would come back

28. UK Maine-iac
    11:21 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

Are you going pro?

Fox and Monk: We’re not thinking about that.

Are you going pro?

Lonzo Ball: Get me out of here immediately.

It didn’t start off this way, but these guys have heart and today it showed. Played through bad calls and with an elite team. Had a chance to win. That’s all you can ask for. Really going to miss this team.

11:50 pm March 26, 2017 Permalink

True. Let me ask all you negative people on here what you would do if you had the choice to either come back to school or be a millionaire over night at 18 or 19 yrs old. I think we all know the answer.

• AGSlater
      12:08 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Easy. Come back. 😁

5:48 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

AG you are pathetic…go back to your frat house in Loserville.

• catsarerunnin
      7:35 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

No frat house. His parents basement.

8:12 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

My mistake catsarerunnin. I think you nailed it!

29. bluegrassstu
    1:32 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

19 Fouls called on UK, 18 called on Unc. I fail to see how the calls were one sided. Yes there were missed calls, on both teams. It was a great game, too bad a team had to lose. This is a free country, losers are allowed to complain. When loserville lost to michigan, some of the loserville fans complained about the refs. When michigan lost to Oregon some of the michigan fans complained about the refs. Looks like a trend here.

• maximumscott
      2:11 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

It wasnt the amount of fouls. It was when they were called and who they were against. Our entire stsrting line up minus Briscoe had 2 fouls with 10 minutes left in first half. There were alot of hard fouls that werent called but stupid touch fouls were. Meeks continuosly bumped, bodied and went over the back but never got called for it and Bam did it once and gets a call. The phantom loose ball foul on willis when Berry didnt have the possession. The blocking foul called against fox when Stilman ran him over and lowered his shoulder. Yes, it was pretty bad. The 2nd half was better but the 1st half was pathetic. When Jay Williams tweets about it amd supports the notion that the reds are calling it one sided, then that is an objective opinion from a non UK fan. We still should have won but failed to stop them 1 last time. Fate.

• UKfanman01
      5:02 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Apparently you’re eyesight is that of Stevie Wonder. Doesn’t matter what the foul total was. You didn’t watch the same game I did. How could you constitute Willis foul when he was fighting for the loose ball in the second half? It was going to be UK ball with numbers under the basket. Refs couldn’t allow that. What about when Briscoe was shoved out of bounds and hit the deck al-a #3. What about the MANY over the backs that weren’t called? How about the 2 baskets that were taken away from Bam? What about Jackson’s amazing block when it was right in front of the basket? The box score didn’t have all of that did it? But I guess because you’re blind I’m compared to that of Louisville and Michigan fans? Well I’ll let you believe what you want but go back and watch the game that just went down. Don’t know what you seen pal

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:39 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

There were some bad calls, and the two offensive interferences were bunk (as replays proved in both cases), but these were early enough that it did not control the outcome. The teams both adjusted and battled it out in the closing six minutes in a way that made the earlier stuff not as important to the outcome.

9:13 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Jay Williams‏Verified account @RealJayWilliams 15h15 hours ago
      All for a great game but do the refs have UNC winning in their bracket or something. @finalfour #UNCvsUK

30. Big DAWG Loggin
    5:48 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

GO OREGON!

31. catsarerunnin
    7:55 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

The dreaded morning after. But still love my team and BBN.

32. DrewP
    8:10 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

I hope Oregon beats the brakes off them Bichezzz!!!

33. Bleedblueky
    8:11 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Thanks all for this Great Season! LOVE your guys and Best of Luck 🙂

34. Ettish
    8:12 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Anyone know where John Higgins lives?

35. Sentient Third Eye
    8:21 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

UK and UNC are built differently as teams, but they are perfectly matched. As the two games this year proved, they could play ten times and each would probably win 5 with every game decided on a last second shot. Nothing to be ashamed of there. Given the weak FF field, that was probably the true national title game, to be honest about it.

36. DrewP
    8:25 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

R – Referee
    A – Assisted
    V – Victory

37. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    8:29 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

It is really hard when success is measured ONLY in Championships. In 8 years we have 50% FINAL FOUR appearances and 75% Elite 8 appearances…that is really amazing. Count me in the camp that wishes more guys stayed for multiple years…but who am I to complain about any of it?

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:36 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

We should also measure success in terms of the awesome representatives for the university that the program produces, kids like Fox. Sitting in a locker room in defeat, he raised my estimation of him more than he ever did with his amazing abilities on the court.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:41 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Totally agree.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:47 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

My thought is that next year we are going to struggle as well with so many young players…but if they stay(By that I mean don’t transfer) We will have an amazing team after that for years to come. The WORST thing for UK is not one and dones. It is this thought pushed by the media and our fans that if you aren’t one and done you are a failure. Many fans were practically pushing Humphries out the door a couple of weeks ago. They are idiots.

38. KY Blue in SC
    8:51 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

I think the biggest coaching mistake happened at the end of the game. We should of called time out after Monk hit the three pointer to tie the game. This would of forced them to go the length of the court with our defense set as well as settled and focused our young team. We were in disarray and UNC took the ball down the court with little resistance and hit a wide open shot. Leadership makes a difference in close games.

39. LongRoad2017
    8:53 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

It’s hard to complain about Cal’s track record here at UK. He really has done an amazing job…but I can’t help but think with the sheer amount of talent that has been ran through here, he should have at least one more title to show for it. I think he will hang one more–maybe two–but he should have a little more to show for the plethora of talent he recruits.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      9:08 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

It’s hard to win it all when you are put with the highest profile matchups year after year and get everyone’s A game.

• LongRoad2017
      9:30 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

I understand….but the NCAA seeds us because of ratings and $$$$$. It’s the hand we are dealt. I’m not sure we will ever get that corrected.

40. 4everblue
    9:05 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

I love Cal, there is no such thing as a perfect coach….not even K, the basketball coaching god, is perfect. Roy sure as hell isn’t, he is just in the right place at the right time. Hell the only difference and winning in the tounament and getting a diploma at UNC is the actually IS a tournament and you actually DO have to show up!

41. W F Reserve
    9:25 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

How about an: I
    HATE
    HIGGINS

T-Shirt? I will take several right now.

42. wolfmans uncle
    9:26 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

What a great game. Cats fought back hard and almost pulled it out. The game was lost in the horrible shot selection immediately after we got up by five. Willis took a bad shot and then monk took a terrible shot and had a BAD turnover right after that shot. Bottom line for me is that monk cost us the game with his disappearance act until the very end, his turnover down the stretch and his atrocious defense on jackson on the homerun play. How do you not at least foul the guy on that play and make him earn it from the stripe? Bizarre.

43. Big Meech
    9:34 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

It’s hard for me to understand that some of u all are fans. Downing the kids and the coach…really. They are out there fighting. So things didn’t go our way, missed shots and the kid hits a huge shot. It’s obvious that the ones downing ours kids never played sports at a competitive level. It’s very difficult to win 6 games and Cal is the best coach in the game. Hands down. Cheer for another team, support our squad no matter. Proud of our boys

44. bddfmfc
    9:46 am March 27, 2017 Permalink

Agree with all the post. Love this team. Love the heart they showed yesterday. I’ve said it since Dec that we were a flawed team and missing a couple of guys. The issue I have with Cal and the one and dones is not the Lotto guys (Wall, AD, Boogie, etc) but rather the mid to late first rounders who if they stayed could contribute signficantly the following year. Go back and look and you will see one or two guys each year who should’ve stayed to improve their game, mature, and weren’t ultimately ready for the league. Off the top of my head:
    * Marcus Lee (transfer)
    * Skal
    * Dakari
    * Ulis
    * Harrisons
    * James Young
    * Archie
    * Teague
    * Lamb

Imagine if a few of these guys would’ve stayed just one more year. Marcus lee would’ve been huge yesterday as UNC had size on us. You think we lose to IU in Sweet 16 with Dakari with Ulis and Jamal. I don’t. Each one of these guys could’ve easily stayed one more year. Yesterday, 2 Non McDonald AAs kept us in the game. Dom in 1st half and Humpries in the 2nd. Yea we won in 2012 with Freshman but we had Darius Miller (sr) Lamb (soph) and JOnes (Soph).

Experience is huge in the tourney. It’s incredibly difficult to take 3-6 new guys every year and get them to play together and win big games. Frankly, I think Cal does a great job getting them together and keeping us in the mix each and every year. Look at DUke this year. By in large they had the most talent (8 McD AAs) and they underachieved all year.