RECAP: Kentucky is not good at basketball right now

Kim Klement | USA Today

Kim Klement | USA Today

Kim Klement | USA Today

There were a lot of awful, telling moments tonight, but for me, the first came midway through the second half when John Calipari sat down in his chair and just watched his team implode. Kentucky wasn’t in this one from the start, but when Florida began to pull away by double digits in the second half, everyone’s suspicions turned into painful reality: Kentucky is not a good basketball team right now. People can blame it on illness, Kentucky being everyone’s Super Bowl, or whatever, but there’s no denying this truth: this team has regressed in the past month. It was hard to watch, but Kentucky lost to Florida 88-66, their biggest loss as an AP Top 10 team since 1992.

How bad was it?

Some stats to put this into perspective:

• Kentucky scored a season-low 26 first-half points
  • Kentucky shot only 38% from the floor, 33% from three-point range
  • Florida outrebounded Kentucky 54-29, 17-6 on the offensive end
  • The Gators dominated fast-break points 18-8
  • Florida had 18 assists to Kentucky’s 7 (a season low)
  • Kentucky lost by double-digits for the first time this season
  • Kentucky trailed by at least double-digits for the fourth straight game
  • Kentucky finished with only 66 points (a season low)

The game was never tied. The lead never changed. Florida dominated.

Calipari called it

Calipari saw his team’s implosion coming after their loss at Tennessee a week and a half ago, the first of three losses in a four-game span.

“I knew after Tennessee we had an issue, and I said to them, you’re going to lost the next two or three if you don’t change. You’re not passing the ball, you’re turning it over. We’re making hard plays, we’re making cheap plays. We’re not — we just kind of got away. We’ve got to get it back. At the end of the day, we know how they can play because we’ve all seen it. Now we see them at their worst. Now, it’s a choice, do you want to be at your worst or be at your best?”

Right now, they’re choosing to be their worst.

Not at 100%, at least De’Aaron Fox tried

Fox is still recovering from the virus going around the Lodge (SKJ and Tai Wynyard are the most recent victims), but he played 25 minutes tonight and, despite clearly not being at 100%, led the team in scoring with 19 points. Fox’s grit was the only reason to keep watching the game in the second half, but even he couldn’t make up for the rest of the squad’s lackadaisical play.

“It was kind of difficult,” Fox said of playing while still recovering. “Legs kind of weren’t under me, but people play through sicknesses and I’m back now. So, I’m not going to make any excuse.”

Hopefully his teammates follow suit.

Malik Monk didn’t score a point in the first half

Coming into this game, it seemed that as Malik Monk went, this team went. On his 19th birthday, Monk was scoreless in the first half, but finally warmed up in the second, finishing with 11 points off 4-14 from the floor. A bad day got worse when Malik was spotted laughing on the bench in the final minutes of the rout:

Granted, Florida students were singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Monk at this moment, but still, not a good look.

Kentucky went from first to third in the SEC

The Cats entered tonight’s game in first place in the SEC. After the loss, they’re now third behind South Carolina (9-1) and Florida (8-2, but has the tiebreaker). Kentucky has lost its last two SEC road games, and with trips to Alabama, Athens, and College Station on the horizon, life is certainly not going to get easier for them.

This may have bothered me most of all

Florida had 25 more rebounds than Kentucky tonight, an appalling stat made more so when you hear this quote from Gators forward Devin Robinson. According to Fletcher Page, Robinson said Isaiah Briscoe called the Gators soft early in the game tonight, which — understandably — led to Florida wanting to prove themselves, which they did. I love you Isaiah, but if we’re going to call other teams soft, we can’t play like Charmin. Kentucky dropped more balls than a daycare full of baby boys tonight, and if I have to watch someone take the ball to the floor instead of dunking it again, I might puke.

So…what now?

For all the reasons listed above, it’s clear Kentucky sucks at basketball right now; however, will they continue to flounder or is this rock bottom and the start of a great story, ala Aaron Harrison and the 2013-2014 group, which also lost at Florida by 20+? Calipari refused to compare squads after the game, but told reporters he called some players out individually after the game.

“Very short — I mean, very short,” Cal said of his postgame message to his squad. “I just said, hey, either you’ll get back to work and we’ll do this — I said I’m not cracking. I’ve been doing this 30 years. I’ve seen everything. So, I’ll go back to figuring out what I have to do to coach them. Like I said, I’m not cracking. I don’t know if anybody in here is, but I told a couple guys you’re not playing well. You’ve gotta play better.”

I’ll let you guys debate over who those players were in the comments. I’m going to bed, because that was horrible.

84 Comments for RECAP: Kentucky is not good at basketball right now

1. 8xchamp
    12:08 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

We suck

2. KYcats11
    12:09 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Well if they were singing happy birthday, I’m going to have to defend malik on this. He was just trying to laugh it off. But, I still wish this team cared more about this loss.

3. Ridge Runner
    12:09 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Hoping for a better tomorrow is all I can come up with…

4. 3 fan
    12:09 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Our bigs are horrible. Notice how bad it’s gotten since the “feed Bam the ball” crap started? He can’t score and can’t make FT’s and turns the ball over. Our other bigs are Sheray Thomas bad. I’d take Woo over Tai, Isaac or SKJ no question. We have 21’of suck on the bench.

Run the damn ball. This team is bad so use your best weapon…speed.

• syrin
      12:27 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Yep, Bam had one game where he went 7 of 8 and 7 of 8, but usually he goes 2 of 7 with 4 TO’s and misses about 6 free throws with a whopping 5-7 rebounds. Pitiful.

5. syrin
    12:25 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

It’s time to get real. This team’s defense is terrible. I would love to see a stat chart of how many lay ups we’ve given up the last 4 games. I have never seen someone with Fox’s and Monk’s quickness get so burned. Bam is the softest big guy we’ve seen in years. For his size, strength, quickness and athleticism, to average about 6 rebounds a game is pitiful. Briscoe has his worst games against good opponents. Always has. Average player that now misses a lot of lay ups he used to make with no jump shot. Monk is streaky, and seems to be playing for himself. I am not convinced this team can get better. Even when we were scoring 90+ points a game, we gave up 80 points a game. This is probably the most athletic team Cal has ever had, and may lose in the first round of the tournament. Or, they could win it all. A disciplined team like Gonzaga will eat us up right now.

6. maximumscott
    12:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Cant run if u cant play good defenseZ

• UK_Steve
      9:39 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Why not? We let North Carolina score 100 and we scored 103, so I would have to say we didn’t play good defense in that game

7. maximumscott
    12:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Bam is more than what we need. The issue is effort on Defense and no 4 spot.

8. BrandonKY
    12:34 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully they can raise those ticket prices even higher now said no one ever

9. KYPIP
    12:34 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Bam has a lot of upside. I hope.

10. ChuckHayesIsAFullGrownMan
    12:37 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

“It was hard to watch, but Kentucky lost to Florida 88-66, their biggest loss as an AP Top 10 team since 1992”

Hard to watch? Yes.

Lost 87-66? Yes.

The rest of this sentence is nonsense. I love KSR, but come on. At least try to be accurate.

11. maximumscott
    12:44 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Its starting to look like Diallo could play after all. If I were Cal I would seriously consider it if he is practicing well enough. If not, then dont play him but if he is on par in practice then ask him if he wants to play. Diallo would be a great answer to our lack of 4 spot with length and who knows maybe Cal has something up his sleeve right before tourny.

• binarysolo
      1:01 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Pssst… Diallo is a 2. He might have long arms in that photo of him touching the floor but he’s not a 4.

• EdC
      9:08 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Back in December when it was looking like Diallo might come to Kentucky I stated that I thought playing him could cause problems with team chemistry. Remember waaaaaaay back in December when there was team chemistry? Seems more like I dreamed it than reality. Now there is absolutely no team chemistry to spoil.

• TBW3011
      9:26 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

He doesn’t even dress out. How is he the chemistry problem?

12. ChuckHayesIsAFullGrownMan
    12:46 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Florida is an AP top 10 team? I guess you mean biggest loss AS an AP top 10 team.

13. ChuckHayesIsAFullGrownMan
    12:50 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Crap. I am wrong.. can’t read. Fefrwfhuklkrefkwdhhbwrggg

14. jaws2
    1:01 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Diallo must be looking at this and thinking why the hell would I want to stay around for this? This team has some real ‘want to’ issues. We’ve got to many soft players, not team players. That’s OK though, they’ll change their family’s lives when they get drafted. I’m sick, SICK, of this players first crap. Give me kids that give a crap about UK first!

15. binarysolo
    1:02 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Also, Fox had his first zero assist game tonight.

16. runningunnin.454
    1:11 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Once again, 1992….we lost to Tennessee by same 22 point margin.
    We went on to win 29 games, and played in the game that most basketball analysts consider ” the best collegiate basketball game ever played”.

Are you all sure you want to give up this early?

• WeareBBN
      6:10 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

we also had a different coach and kids that knew playing FOR UK meant something.

• Cat68
      9:44 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

BOOM! Sizzle! Agreed.

• kenny
      9:13 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Yeah we had the coach that has been at UL since 01 and still only has 3 ff, and 1 ship. I’ll take cals 4 ff in 9 less years which include a ship,and a runnerup. Let’s not forget their head to head record and the 2 sex scandals. You people are crazy!

• EdC
      9:16 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

The 4 team captains … all seniors. Only one player who had an NBA career. Comparing this team that has vastly under-achieved to that one who vastly over-achieved doesn’t make much sense to me.

• hensley79
      3:04 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m not giving up on this team or cal!!! They are struggling but it can be fixed and cal can fix it he has shown he can and he will!!! I would play Diallo to see what he could do to help!!!

17. cats42301
    1:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I still say recruiting mainly one and done players only works if the players are more mature than their age reflects or if you have a returning player or two who are proven leaders that can show green freshman how it’s done and help keep them focused and this team doesn’t have a proven leader that will step up to do so. The freshman on this team are only concerned with one thing it seems their draft status and how much money they are going to make in the NBA. I have a hard time getting behind any player or team that I feel isn’t giving it their all every game and right now this team is not giving their all.

• thenamerobdigity
      4:38 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

So recruit worse players? What should UK do alternatively? It is easy to say what isn’t working, but a solution must be presented.

• WeareBBN
      6:12 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

There are hundreds of quality players that actually stay 3-4 years in college. You constantly get them with a phenom one and done guy like AD or Wall and you have great, experienced teams year in and year out. Do you think all NBA players are just former Freshman sensations?

18. jaws2
    1:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

OMG, please get rid of the frick’n Four Roses pop up!!!

• Cat68
      9:46 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

And all the video ads! Enough already.

19. ClutchCargo
    2:06 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Maybe the first time I have ever actively pulled for the other team to pour it on my Cats. Maybe they learned a lesson, but I’m not holding my breath.

20. runningunnin.454
    2:50 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Many commenters on here tonight obviously just can’t handle the one-and-done cutting edge of college basketball.
    I think many of them would be happier on the Gonzaga bandwagon…hey, they haven’t lost a game….they just won another one….they’re 24-0.
    They could go to the Zags fan site, if they’ve got one, and it would all be so idyllic. They could catch most of their games on ESPN from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.
    “What A Wonderful World This Would Be” Sam Cooke

• GhostofCawoodLedford
      4:13 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

This team should be criticized right now.
      Gonzaga is fooling anyone. They play in a terrible conference, and Few has NEVER been to a Final Four. (They went the season before he took over as head coach). Even the most stubborn UK fan wouldn’t wish for Mark Few as a coach. He’s never delivered in March.

• thenamerobdigity
      4:37 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Gonzaga has never made a final 4 in the history of their program.

• GhostofCawoodLedford
      5:10 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

@thenamer
      Oh that’s right, they made it to the Elite Eight the year before Few took over.

• EdC
      8:31 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Right because it is either trying to get all one and dones or it is Gonzaga. You don’t hear how silly that sounds? Duke and UConn have both won 2 championships during Cal’s tenure at UK.

• maximumscott
      8:54 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Cal jad booth of his teams in the Final Four in those years?!?!? Whats your point. The problem with most you is your expectation from Reg season. Cal has said this time and time again, it is a process. But his goal isnt the regular season title. He would rather loose a few or whatever it takes to get his team ready for
      march. If you have ever noticed his game pressers he will adamantly say im glad those got in foul trouble, i wanted to see how they reponded. Honestly, 5 out of 7 times Cal
      Has had this team ready for March. Ill remove one bc Of the 2012-2013 team bc NOEL got injured and thay ruined us. So basically, he has been to at least the elite 8 in 6 seasons as our HC amd 4 final fours and 1 NC and NCRUP. And you all are complaining?!?!?! Geeze.i know this team isnt playing well right now, but UF wasnt our last game. The Tourney isnt till a more than a month away. Also, tourny games are on nuetral sites, not packed hostile environments.

• AGSlater
      9:10 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

imagine if cal had Gonzagas players. They would be 0-24. Few is a good coach. He would have a title if he could get better talent to come out West. If he had Cals kinda talet he woulda won more than 1 title

• kenny
      9:22 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Ag, here’s another way to spin it, few can’t recruit, he’s a good coach, but he’s never even been to a ff. We all have shortcomings, but it’s mark fews job to recruit, how about dogging him for not doing it well.

• runningunnin.454
      12:19 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

EdC: Not silly at all; many people on here want players that stick around, and they expect to win every game…I just thought they would be happier being a Zags fan….they’re perfect on the season.
      My point is that most people on this board seem to be miserable…why make yourself miserable? It’s a game…it’s supposed to be fun. Why not just support the players and the coach?
      We don’t know how the season will end….just enjoy the ride.
      There was plenty of grumbling in ’13-’14, too…double digit losses, 6 losses in the SEC, the Harrisons are slow and can’t play…why did we recruit them? That was a pretty fun ride, wasn’t it?
      Never give up
      Winston Churchhill
      Jim Valvano

21. MrNoItAll
    4:46 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Obama!

22. BlueWildcat_99
    5:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

This team has undoubtedly regressed, as Ms. T stated in her recap. We’re obviously not doing anything well, but I’m not worried about the offense. We have to much speed and talent; our guys will get back in the groove. Our D however scares the shit outta me. Let’s call this game what it was: a normal defensive performance. How many many MANY times do we have to get burned before we try something different? I know a zone d isn’t the end all be all, but man-to-man clearly has not worked and will only get us beat going forward. I’m all for mixing it up, but a 2-3 zone should be our primary defense, only switching to man-to-man occasionally. How many times last night did De’Aaron and Derek get burnt? How many times did Wenyen and Bam find them selves out of position? This team will NEVER get to the sweet 16 by playing man.

• maximumscott
      8:56 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Honestly, we played great first half defense. The problem was their ability to get offensive rebounds amd score off of the 2nd chance points. Other than that i thought their first chance defense was great. 2nd half was not good, but UF wouldnt miss anything when we were trying to make a run, then they got frustrsted.

• TBW3011
      9:31 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

The zone was effective in the first half, just like last game. 95% man and get torched in the 2nd half, just like last game. This teams problem wears a suit. An empty one at that.

• EdC
      9:27 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Imagine that, UF wouldn’t miss any layups and put backs from their massive rebounding advantage.

23. blukat
    7:01 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

SEC road games are always tough. Everyone needs to take a deep breath. UK was probably not as good as everyone thought early in the season and they are not as bad as you all think now. Natural ebbs and flows to a season are normal. It is always surprising how critical our fan base gets so quickly. UK will be fine by tournament time, the only time of year that really matters.

24. DerBaron
    7:48 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Where was Willis last night? Why didn’t he play?

• Bill the Cat
      9:26 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Willis doesnt play defense. Cant put him in there. (Sarcasm).

• TBW3011
      9:33 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

He can’t stop generational poverty. Cal can’t sell Derek Willis to his next group of 5 stars.

• Cat68
      9:54 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Is it that Willis can’t play D or that help side D cannot be coached? He’s a shooter and a darn good one. Can he be streaky? Yes but understandably so when you’re in, you’re out, we depend on you one game, then you play 3 mins the next. The kid is on such a roller coaster it’s no wonder he struggles from time to time; but several guys are struggling and receive no bench time.

25. NCkatfan
    8:04 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Okay, so the last post I wrote from here in the land of Tar Heels and Blue Devils was after the football loss to Southern Miss when most everyone was ready to fire Stoops and start dreaming about basketball. Here we go again…SOME of you have the right perspective…others? You have either short memories or are just prone to hysteria! The reality is (and I love it) is that every year we are going to get a “new” team of the most talented young players in America…new players to watch, get to know “who they are,” and…wait and see how they develop. We’ll get the joy from watching and knowing the Anthony Davises and Tylers and the heartbreaks from the Alex Poythresses. We’ll get national championships and losses to Robert Morris (probably at about the same level of frequency). But we’ll also win many, many SEC championships, go to the NCAA’s practically every year, and go to a lot of final fours. And as for coaching? Cal is the perfect coach for the America’s greatest program…Marketing genius, owner of the No. 1 or No. 2 recruiting classes each year, and deliverer of more NBA players than all other top programs combined in recent times. But best of all, he hasn’t embarrassed his family, his program hasn’t embarrassed his university, and he doesn’t have an “elitist ego” (like the coach of a certain program here in Durham or the one in Louisville). As the captain says before takeoff, “Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.” Keep the one-and-done excitement coming as long as it lasts!

• catsarerunnin
      8:36 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree with a lot of this. 2011,2013,2014,2016 and now 2017….all seasons with frustrations. All seasons that some folks on KSR jumped ship but also got back on the bandwagon with the possible exception of 2013. The past couple of weeks have been painful but I think Cal will right the ship. No question there are big problems with this team but I think a lot of it is attitude. They are terrible on defense because they’re not playing hard. The same when it comes to rebounding. For the most part,as usually the case in the Cal era,freshman are the key players. Freshman are teenagers. Ever have any dealings with teenagers? They do dumb things. Sometimes over and over. Plus they can get an attitude. That’s what I’m seeing right now with this team much like the other teams I mentioned. But I certainly think Cal knows what he is doing. And he knows more than any of us…with the possible exception of Mrs. T.

• maximumscott
      8:59 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I would remove 2013. NOEL injury hurt us badly! We were in an ok position with him prob a 2nd weekend team.

• EdC
      9:35 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Right Cal / UK have put a lot of players in the NBA. Those players weren’t recruited for the very reason that they were going to the NBA already. Tell me which ones that are in the NBA right now who were recruited by Cal that wouldn’t have been there no matter where they played.

As I said in another thread. Cal claiming it was his genius or UK’s program that caused those players to be in the NBA is like me putting a mouse in a cage with a snake and claiming I taught the snake to catch and eat the mouse.

• unbridled
      12:26 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

EdC your response is just stupid and uninformed. No offense but please just stop it. You look foolish. All of the “one and done” are recruited by EVERY SINGLE ELITE COLLEGE PROGRAM. Not to mention that playing for UK and Cal definitely helps their draft status and their career as a whole. You don’t know what your talking about if you say otherwise and you can’t be taken seriously.

• EdC
      1:03 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

So please … tell me which ones that he has recruited that wouldn’t have made it. Since Cal “definitely” helped them tell me where they would have been drafted. See … you can’t. It’s all opinion.

What isn’t opinion is where you unwittingly helped make my point that they are recruited by all elite colleges. That is exactly the point. EVERYBODY knows they are already elite. I get that you are the type that has to make opinions based on emotion because you have no analytical ability but the NBA doesn’t draft on emotion.

• unbridled
      3:46 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

Again ed, your response is just stupid. Many of cal’s players have climbed the draft board from their original projections. Regardless, look at the other one and dones that enroll at other schools. How are they fairing in the NBA? All of Cals former players have commented on how well prepared they were to make the transition from collegiate to professional. Were they lying? Sorry but your emotional response
      to the “one and done” philosophy defies logic. Go cheer on a different team. It’s really not that hard.

26. SoCalCat
    8:28 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I think Cal needs to do some soul searching on where to go from here. At this point, the team will likely lose at Georgia and Texas A&M and possibly Florida at home. Alabama and Tennessee are toss-ups. His freshman are weighing down on his coaching antics, Briscoe is no Ulis, and his seniors are marginally good and wilting under the pressure. A team with so much promise is about to go down the drain.

• maximumscott
      9:05 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I will say this. If you are right, then we are likely a 6 or 7 seed and will loss 1st or 2nd weekned NCAA.

LSU game on Tuesday is big for mental. We should have no problem with this game. It should gives us a bounce. After that u got games where u should win and if you do it is bc you sfe getting better. Keep an eye for the LSU game its key and reallly the next 3 to see how they respond. They have either hit rock bottom and will build up or they will fall lower. We will know in the next 3 games.

• maximumscott
      9:12 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I wish i could snapshot how many times this exact scenario has happened under Cal. Brandon knight couldnt win a road game and we had no Center (Ended w FF) Randle and Twins couldnt get on the same page ever (ended with NC runner up). Wall and Ad years there werent many questions but both were ready in peak form by March. Elite and NC, respectively. Hell, Ullis/Murray were a big man away from doing something special.

The point is thay this team has the talent and make up to go to FF. Its a matter of when they all get together and say this is enough.

Bilas still says UNC is one of the top 4 teams in the nation even though they arent playing well. We played them at their best on a NCAA game envrionment and beat them. This team has played great, average and now terrible. But if anyone knows what to donits Cal.

27. psacatfan
    8:59 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

This team seems to lack the desire to be the best and certainly is NOT willing to give the effort to show the world what it’s capable of. Some of our players seem to want to put on a show of personal offensive highlights but refuse to give the effort to play basic team defense. A change of attitudes will be required to turn this around.

Also, I am now questioning Cal’s competence at teaching defense. Has he ever had a UK team that could adequately defend the pick and roll? Certainly not this one.

28. mcp157
    9:05 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Their front court sucks. Bam is strong and has a good drop step and dunk but that’s it. Otherwise he’s very ordinary. The rest of the front court is terrible, with my best Charles Barkley impersonation.

• maximumscott
      9:19 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Cal just needs to realize that playing through his guards is his recipe. He has been forcing the Bam issue. Now that will help us later when we need to get a bucket or two, but i think the guards are getting frustrsted bc they arent playing fast. Cal will figure it out.

29. Bill the Cat
    9:17 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I’m tired of Cal and his player’s first mentality. I’m tired of wading through an NIT year every 3-4 years when AAU players are overwhelmed with the college game. I couldn’t care less about players in the NBA and all that crap. Seeing those kids laughing on the bench while getting blown out speaks volumes to me. It tells me they (the ones laughing) are in it for themselves, they don’t care what anyone thinks or says (including the coach). I’ve seen that type of behavior many times before and, most of the time, that person is a cancer with respect to the team concept. There are still alot of fans that bleed blue and believe the name on the front stands for something. We need one or two more of those types on this team.

• maximumscott
      9:24 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Youre delirious. First, they were chsnting halpy birthday to him and he had a moment like “really mfrs ok?!??!” Second, we been to NIt once and that was because Noel was injured. We are very rarely in position to loose in March. When Cal is gona u all will get what u want. A TUBBY OR IZZO TYPE COAch. Izzo develops amd can Coach and Cal has done more since 2009-2010 than even him! Even he is adopting 1 amd done. Talent typical wins. Experience gets your road wins in league play. But playing win the lights sre the brightest is what Cal looks for. Stop it Bill! Spare us your we have to win every game attitude. Its about the NCAA tourny

• TBW3011
      9:38 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree with some of this, but the Nerlens injury being why we went to the NIT is a myth I continually see stated as fact. That team was on or outside the bubble before he got hurt.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:36 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

You dishonor your screen name BTC. I love Willis and Hawkins but if you think three more of them will win us a ‘ship you are a Catnip smoking fool.
      With love,
      Steve Dallas

• Bill the Cat
      9:46 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Once again, did I SAY three more Willis and Hawkins? Or, is that how you received it? I mean players that buy into the TEAM concept. Pick your own person there whether it be Anthony Davis, MKG or Travis Ford or so many others. I don’t see that in some of the players this year. Just my opinion guys. I let you get back to eating the poop ice cream now.

30. Bill the Cat
    9:39 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Did I say we have to win every game? No! My point if that this team is not developing and I believe it’s bc we have some that are not coachable. And as for you saying we went to the NIT bc Noel was injured, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. The team I saw that year was an NIT team all along. But that is MY OPINION. Forgive me if I’m not buying into a roster full of one and dones as you have. Talent IS good and does win most of them time but you also need a component of experience to be really good. Personally, I’d like to see an experienced PG running the show with 2-3 one and dones around him. I dont demand 40-0 but I DO like to watch smart bball. Not seeing either of those this year.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:21 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

An NIT every 3 or 4 years. Fallacy. One under Cal. We aren’t NIT this year.
      In fairness to you I agree with your final statement but your intro is based on false premises. 4 final fours in 7 seasons. That is not an “on average” NIT team.
      How many coaches in history have won 2 or more championships? The tournament is almost a crap shoot. The parity in BBall today is such that Rupp would struggle to compete with his historical record were he coaching today.
      I am not pleased with the current direction of the team but Cal’s record shows we are FAR more likely to be relevant in March than most teams. That is based on facts.
      The unforgettables are Vanderbilt without Mash.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:28 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

I incorrectly replied to your next comment. What you have said here is sensible and reasonable.
      I acquiesce.
      Deathtongue rules.

31. 502CodeRed
    9:46 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Did you hear that? That’s the sound of a #1 seed going out the window. How many 5* players are on this team again? smh

• Booby Petrino
      9:56 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Aw look who finally came crawling out of their hole. You’ve been quiet since right before UK beat your birds in football. Welcome back, hopefully this means you’re over the loss.

• 502CodeRed
      10:04 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

So you did hear it. Just checking. Nice obsessed username too.

• Booby Petrino
      10:53 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

No, i didn’t hear it last night, i heard it after the TN game, moron. I would compare losing with these 5 stars to losing with the Heisman quarterback and other NFL prospects on your team…on your own turf, to a team you call slapd*cks.

• Booby Petrino
      10:53 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

You would know all about obsessed since you’re on a UK site sweating us.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Did you hear that? It’s the sound of ho’s squirting to the ceilings in Minardi Hall, and another scandal at UofL.

32. roundball fool
    9:54 am February 5, 2017 Permalink

Well Bill, I wish we had Caleb Swanigan on this team, but that ain’t happening. We are regressing and it’s on Cal and his staff to get it figured out and on the team to execute. We were bad across the board last night. It’s one thing to tweak the defense but this team needs work in every facet of the game. I was hopeful after the comeback/scare of the Georgia game. Maybe this game will be a wakeup call.

33. Lip Man 1
    12:47 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

This is one of the issues with teams that are always so young, you’re going to have nights like Saturday and you’re going to have issues as they learn.

This team has problems…you can only hope they figure it out.

34. kentuck1
    1:35 pm February 5, 2017 Permalink

It appears that they have turned into a one-man team? If Monk is hitting his jump shots, they win. If he is missing, they lose. Somewhere they lost the “team” concept.

They have the potential to win it all but changes will have to be made. At their best, they are not a jump-shooting club. They share the ball and get bunches of assists. They play great defense and use their speed against their opponents. They do not play for a position in the NBA draft.

There are weaknesses on the floor. The coaches and players will have to decide who they prefer to have on the floor if they want to be the best team they can be? They are playing to their weaknesses, not their strengths. Changes will need to be made. Players will need to change their attitudes. Otherwise, they will not be a team that plays up to their potential.