Reason 1,302,199 I love Kentucky fans

Yesterday, Willie Cauley-Stein told Jerry Tipton that if UK were an animal, they’d be a raccoon because raccoons are feisty and “come at you” when cornered.

The comment struck a chord with UK fan Mandy Schum, who found a sick raccoon on her doorstep yesterday. Mandy wrote KSR to ask for advice and her husband called into the show this morning, telling the guys that they felt obligated to care for the raccoon after Willie’s comment yesterday. After Matt and Ryan told her leaving the raccoon alone to die would definitely be a bad omen, Mandy put out some water and food for the sick animal:

After “Willie” got some food and water, the Schums carefully got him into a box and took him to the woods to roam free:

Good on ya, Schums. “Willie” and Willie appreciate the kindness.

10 Comments for Reason 1,302,199 I love Kentucky fans

1. DT in DC
    12:44 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

We just had a raccoon that tested positive for rabies found in our neighborhood. I hope these people didn’t put a rabid raccoon back out in the wild. #BuzzKill #partypooper

2. kentuckymjw
    1:11 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Is buzzkill your screen name? It should be.

• symphonist41169
      1:32 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

DT makes a valid point. More people get rabies every year from racoons than from bats.

• BigBlueBoom
      1:37 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

well symphonist they could’ve just left it to roam in the neighborhood.

• J-Dub421
      3:12 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Animals with rabies typically act very aggressive. This raccoon doesn’t seem to exhibit such aggressiveness.

3. Wilder Treadway
    1:23 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

This is awesome.

4. Sin The
    1:50 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

It probably had rabies or distemper. It should have been killed with a shovel and disposed of properly.

5. RealCatsFan
    1:52 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

Yep, always highly suspicious of rabies when I see a (normally) nocturnal critter roaming around in the daylight and acting strangely. (Although raccoons are technically diurnal). I guess they did a good deed, but at some risk to themselves. Hopefully “Willie” was just having a bad day or a little under the weather, and not infected with rabies. It’s a pretty horrible disease.

6. kentuckymjw
    1:56 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

People get a grip. I have 30 kids in this neighborhood and I had to get it out. No one was hurt and he was dropped in the woods with no houses around. Maybe I should have posted here and then one of you geniuses could have come to my house and taken care of it properly.

• J-Dub421
      3:09 pm March 26, 2015 Permalink

I thought it was very nice. Good for you. No good deed goes unpunished…