RANK the Top 10 Buzzer Beaters in UK Basketball History

clutchshots

On today’s show, the guys took a break from the RNC proceedings to rank the best buzzer beaters in modern UK Basketball history. It’s a fun topic and today’s a slow news day, so I thought we’d bring that debate over to the website. There are a lot of contenders, but here is my Top 10:

1. Aaron Harrison, Wisconsin (2014 Final Four)

Aaron saved his best buzzer beater for last. I still get chills when I watch this clip.

2. Aaron Harrison, Michigan (2014 Elite Eight)

Even with a hand in his face, Stone Cold Aaron drained this three to take Kentucky to the Final Four. After a similar shot by Aaron vs. Louisville, this is when UK’s run started to feel like fate.

3. Brandon Knight, Ohio State (2011 Sweet 16)

Like Knight, this shot is always underrated and underappreciated.

4. Aaron Harrison, Louisville (2014 Sweet 16)

This shot gave Kentucky the lead for good after a huge comeback vs. defending national champion Louisville. I fully admit that, against any other team, it would be lower on this list, but Louisville is Louisville, and the celebration in Indy that night was one for the ages.

5. DeMarcus Cousins, Mississippi State (2010 SEC Championship)

Otherwise known as the shot that made my husband a UK fan. The best part? Boogie and Wall thought they had won the game, when really, that shot only forced overtime.

6. Nazr Mohammed, at Vanderbilt (1998)

Some may have this shot lower on their lists, but I was a HUGE Nazr fan growing up and watching that improbable floater fall through the net and the ensuing chaos was just awesome. Remember Tubby rushing the team off the court? And Heshimu Evans “Superman” celebration? Classic.

7. Patrick Sparks, Michigan State (2005 Elite Eight)

This shot forced overtime vs. Michigan State in the 2005 Elite Eight, and even though Michigan State went on to win that game in double overtime, Sparks’ three was one for the ages.

(TIE) 8. Cameron Mills and Scott Padgett, Duke (1998 Elite Eight)

Not a buzzer-beater, but a clutch shot all the same. Padgett’s three with 39.4 seconds left to give Kentucky the lead for good was even bigger:

9. Sean Woods, Duke (1992 Elite Eight)

Laettner’s shot will always steal the headlines from this game, but Woods’ shot to take the lead with 2.1 seconds left should not be ignored. (Warning: the rest of that clip includes “You-Know-What,” so keep your finger on the pause button.)

10. Jeff Brassow, Arizona (1993 Maui Invitational)

Look how young Rick looks!

Honorable Mention: Brandon Knight vs. Princeton (2011 NCAA Tournament), Cedric Jenkins vs. Louisville (1987), Anthony Epps vs. Arizona (1997 National Championship game), Kenny Walker vs. Charles Barkley & Auburn (1984 SEC Tournament)

I’m sure most of you disagree with this list, but luckily, the wonders of technology allow you to weigh in on your favorites. Rank your Top 10 below:

23 Comments for RANK the Top 10 Buzzer Beaters in UK Basketball History

1. sincitycat
    2:18 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

For us old guys I would include Vernon Hatton’s near mid-court shot against Temple to send the game into its second overtime in 1957. I fondly remember listening to this game with my dad and how the radio seemed to jump off the table from the roar of Memorial crowd.

2. nybrasky
    2:24 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

I recall an Erik Daniels buzzer beater against Miss St, but think that was just a regular season game, even though it was a big W because MSU was good then.

But, that run in 2014 was something else. I still don’t think people appreciate it enough. It’s too bad they came up short against UConn with some help from the stripes.

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      2:27 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Beat me to out with the MSU game.

3. Bobbum Man
    2:24 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Can’t believe the P sparks shot against mich st is 7th right now, that was a crazy sequence of events. I got that third behind Harrison against Wisconsin and Michigan

4. madarchitect
    2:27 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

I ranked the top 10 shots from games we actually won. I saw the Cedric Jenkins tip in live at Rupp!

• CPACAT
      3:34 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Me too! Section 32, Row J, Seat 12..we were standing on the arms of the chairs….

• DagummitLarry
      4:06 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Make that 3! I was standing on my chair in section 38!

• Bobbum Man
      4:55 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Make that 4! I was standing on my chair in section 39

• ClutchCargo
      5:05 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Same here. I was going crazy in whatever section the band used back then, I can’t remember now.

5. Sentient Third Eye
    2:39 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Roger Harden at LSU belongs on the list.

6. JTaylor22
    3:08 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Lotta people must be too young to remember Ced’s tip in (or was it Felton Spencer’s?). Cats were heavy favorites in that game, and that tip-in averted a complete disaster in a game in which we were outplayed most of the way, but one of the most exciting of the rivalry.

7. KevinM
    3:16 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Its all about advancing through the tournament. Aaron will always be the best in the clutch!

Can you imagine the legacy of one Sean Woods had his shot been the game winner? No Mash, and completely creative of him to even give us that shot.

8. easy
    3:44 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

So instead of ‘buzzer beaters’ it should probably just be ‘important shots that happened in the last 1-3 minutes of a game’ maybe? Only 4 of those are actually buzzer beaters

9. DagummitLarry
    4:08 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

I added a couple of suggestions:

1. Jody Meeks against Florida in 2009
    2. Walter McCarty’s 3 to take the lead in the LSU comeback.

10. JHannibalSmith
    4:23 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

If you’re including games we lost, how do you leave out Jim Master’s floater to send the “Dream Game” to OT? It was a region final. And, it was one of the biggest games in UK history. UK & UL hadn’t played in decades & the stakes were enormous. I still haven’t seen a UK game that had MORE anticipation & hype. People act like UK’s history & winning tradition started with Pitino & the 90’s. If you only know about the Pitino era thru the present then do a little research if you’re attempting a credible all-time list. Or a disclaimer ranking buzzer beaters of the last 25 years.

11. runningunnin.454
    4:29 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

The ’92 Elite 8 and ’98 Elite 8 are ranked too low. They were both against Dook; and, if you’re old enough to remember them, you know they both had the entire state rockin’.

• runningunnin.454
      4:36 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

I also fondly recall the James Lee 1978 dunk that put the cherry on top of the National Championship.
      That was also against Dook….I guess I just don’t like Dook.

12. mcmermaid
    4:34 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Kansas Jayhawks led UK, 66-60, with just 31 seconds remaining in overtime.
    With 18 ticks to go, Kansas more or less conceded a basket to guard Dwight Anderson. But as KU tried to get the ball in to Valentine, the Jayhawks’ talented sophomore guard was whistled for bumping Anderson. Later, Anderson admitted to the media he had taken a flop.
    Moments later, Anderson missed the front end of a one-and-one free throw opportunity, but Kentucky rebounded and KU’s Paul Mokeski fouled out when he hacked Anderson at :10. This time, the freshman guard nailed both charities to cut KU’s lead to 66-64.
    Then the ubiquitous Anderson stole John Crawford’s inbounds pass, flipped the ball over his head to teammate Kyle Macy and Macy drilled a 12-foot jumper to forge a 66-66 tie with :03 on the clock.

The worst, however, was yet to come.
    At least three KU players begged for a timeout after Macy’s basket. Oops, the Jayhawks had used their allotment. And so Macy, an 89 percent foul shooter, stepped to the line — a technical foul was just one free throw in those days — and hit it. UK then threw the ball in and the clock expired.

As Reported by Chuck Woodling

13. Bluebloodtoo
    5:09 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Kyle Macy had 2 of them. At least one of those should be on there. My personal fav was vs LSU.

14. somerset bill
    6:04 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

great work pulling all those videos together. enjoying them.

15. MakersMike
    6:08 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

2012: Anthony Davis block on Jon Henson fade away for the win at the buzzer. Cemented that team was for real.

16. sincitycat
    7:11 pm July 21, 2016 Permalink

Another overlooked huge shot was Anthony Epps’ three at the end of regulation against Arizona in the 1997 championship to send the game into overtime.