We’ll have a lengthy recap of that exciting game here in a moment, but allow me to share a few immediate thoughts and overreactions from the W before I get some pre-Signing Day beauty rest. Tomorrow is going to be an early (and busy) one for this guy as I am manning the KSR ship all by myself on football recruiting Christmas. (Please join me for that by the way.)
Anyway, some quick thoughts…
1. Malik Monk is a savage. He started the game cold — 1-for-5 for six points at halftime — but found a groove and murdered Georgia in the end. He shines brightest in the biggest moments and seems to shoot better with someone all up in his face. When he’s dialed in, there’s nobody more fun to watch.
2. Isaiah Briscoe flirted with a triple-double. Briscoe was two assists shy of the fourth triple-double in the program’s history and his second in two months. Even more impressive: Briscoe played all 45 minutes in the game.
3. ZONE!!!!!!! He did it!!!!!!!!! John Calipari ran a zone defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. The Georgia bigs did whatever they wanted when Bam was on the bench. They did plenty when he was in the game too; although, Bam deserves some praise for the way he defended down the stretch while playing with four fouls. He also hit some big free throws and had some big dunks in key moments. We’ll let those five rebounds slide, for now.
5. Dominique Hawkins deserves more playing time. He’s the only guy on the team who can be trusted on defense. I can’t defend that three-point attempt late in the game, though. There’s no explanation for that shot.
6. I loved Brent Musburger signing off with an invite to Las Vegas. Appropriate farewell to sports from Musburger as he invited everyone to Vegas to share a drink and a couple of wins with him in the next phase of his life. Speaking of Vegas and wins, I bet the Georgia money line at +1400 and I’m not the least bit upset about Monk ripping that winning ticket out of my hands and shredding it at the end of regulation. More than happy to see that one go.
7. The team played hard in the absence of Fox, Mulder and Killeya-Jones, and with Bam on the bench in foul trouble. Gutsy comeback and finish with a depleted roster in a must-win game. NOW CAN WE GET SOME HAND SANITIZER IN THE LOCKER ROOM?! HOW IS EVERYONE SO SICK!!!!!!
8. Was that the spark the team needed? We’ll find out on Saturday when they travel to Florida.
Stick around for Tyler’s recap and then come back to join me for National Signing Day, bright and early in the a.m.