Quade Green will transfer from Kentucky

UK has officially announced the transfer of Quade Green. He told folks yesterday it was going to happen but he would sleep on it, but Green obviously was comfortable enough with his decision to make it official on Wednesday.

Here’s quotes from Green and John Calipari via the UK press release:

Green:

“I have loved my time at Kentucky and love Coach Cal and the staff,” Green said. “This was a difficult decision and one I didn’t take lightly. However, after talking with my family and the coaching staff, I just felt like it was best that I explore other opportunities for my athletic and academic future. I have enjoyed my time at Kentucky and I’ll never forget the Big Blue Nation for its love and its support.”

Calipari:

“I met with Quade yesterday and we talked through a lot of different things,” UK men’s basketball head coach John Calipari said. “The thing that struck me most is what a great kid Quade is. He felt like he was in a position that he couldn’t overcome and he had the maturity to come in and sit down and talk through it with me.

“Quade has my full support with this decision. We haven’t had many kids leave, but when we do, we always support them and, in just about every case, stay in touch with each other. I hope that will be the case with Quade.”

T.J.’s Take:

I think this is pretty big news. Green was UK’s best shooter and now he’s been taken out of the equation. Obviously Calipari and UK’s staff wasn’t crazy about Green’s overall game because he was playing nearly 10 fewer minutes than last season, but he was always a threat to hit open threes and seemed well liked by his teammates. In my opinion, Calipari saw a higher ceiling from Tyler Herro, Ashton Hagans and Immanuel Quickley and that’s why those three guards played more in the first nine games of the season. All three players were better defenders than Green.

I haven’t heard anything about Green being a distraction in the locker room, and like I said he seemed well liked, but if he didn’t want to be at UK I’m not surprised that things moved this fast. Green’s mom suggested that Green may not make a final decision until after the weekend, but I couldn’t imagine Calipari allowing that to hang over the team for that long. This does provide a nice opportunity for Jemarl Baker to come in and be an outside threat for the Cats, but UK’s primary backcourt is going to Quickley, Hagans and Herro. Three freshmen. How quickly they can grow up will likely determine the type of season the Cats have this year.

Best of luck to Quade. Matt Jones thinks he ends up at Washington but also mentioned Syracuse and Villanova as possible destinations. I think he stays close to home, but there’s no inside info on that guess.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

70 Comments for Quade Green will transfer from Kentucky

1. DelrayCat
    1:26 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Looking at you Immanuel…time to step up!
    Good Luck Quade.

2. Just saying
    1:27 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good luck young man. We hope the best for you. You have been nothing but class at KY.

3. bruce122767
    1:27 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good luck to him

4. thebigcat44
    1:31 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Take the coach!!!!!!!!!

• CatsfaninFL
      1:55 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Take bigcat44!

5. tampawildcat73
    1:32 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Everything seems right except Cal saying we haven’t had many players leave.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      2:18 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

We haven’t compared to other schools. It is the nature of college be everywhere now.

• Han
      2:36 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Considering he brings in a top 2 recruiting class every year, yeah, we don’t have a lot of guys transfer out. A lot leave early for the draft, but that’s different.

• tdub
      3:26 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good luck young man. I hope you do well wherever you go. Hate to see you leave.

6. ScottGreene22
    1:33 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good Luck Quade! Hopefully it’s turns out well for both parties!

• DelrayCat
      1:49 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Quade should go home and go to Penn. He ain’t playing in the NBA, so get a degree from one of the best schools in the country. Plus, they just beat Nova!

• notFromhere
      1:51 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Penn IS an awesome school

• Luether
      2:26 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Ky IS an awesome school…

• runningunnin.454
      2:29 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

The Wharton School of Business is excellent. I agree that UK is awesome.

7. Joe B. Y'all
    1:39 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I think PJ has actually been the best shooter, which is crazy. Time for Herro and Baker to step up.

8. StuckinLville
    1:39 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Kids give up too easily. But whatever, best of luck to him.

• BigolBlue
      2:12 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Cal barely plsyed him seton hall game. His minutes went to a guy that was missing every shot he took

• Luether
      2:27 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

If you can’t take it, you can’t stay…

9. BPatte
    1:42 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Hate this!

10. A_Blue_Wildcat
    1:43 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

He’s a 5’11” guard who has no point guard skills, below average athleticism, can’t defend anyone, but has a good jumper. How was he a top 100 recruit let alone an all-american coming out of high school?

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      1:47 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

It sounds harsh but he’s basically what Jaylen Patterson was for LSU a few years ago, and thats not a compliment

• Wade
      2:08 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

He was supposed to bring in no bamba and be the glue guy for the whole recruiting class! Sga out played him and it’s happening again this yr. I wanted him to be the starting pg with lots of size on the rest of the roster that could hide his deficiencies .He was given the opportunity to compete at ky! He quit so he’s nothing to me ,good luck won’t worry about it anymore. He gone! Not a big deal!Let’s get ready for Utah. Time for coach to get this team right. Starting with nick. He needs a big game and he’s very capable.

• WildcatCam
      5:11 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Great assessment blue!

11. Gnarly Wiggums
    1:44 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good decision for all I think…good luck Quade and thanks for all that you’ve done!

12. catsfan1995
    1:44 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Nothing but love, Quade. Best of luck to you!

13. Irish son
    1:50 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Peace out Quade. Good luck to you

14. notFromhere
    1:50 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Hope he does well wherever he goes and keeps it classy. Love the way he addressed it with the coach directly and in person.

15. DukeFan1
    1:52 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Curious to see if this helps KY with Edwards. Hope not, obviously, but would be interesting to see.

• Bobbum Man
      1:54 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I doubt it matters at all

16. Jiminy Crickets
    1:53 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

“Don’t have many kids leave” we average a transfer out of program every year since Cal has been here. I’m not saying it’s Cals fault, so Booby and his band of nut huggers can calm down, but don’t say we don’t have many people leave when clearly we do

• Bobbum Man
      1:54 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Can you list the transfer every year that we’ve had?

• BigolBlue
      2:11 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Bobbum got served. Like all the other cal apologists

• Jiminy Crickets
      2:01 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Dodson, Wiltjer, harrow, Lee, Wynard, SKJ, Green, Poole and Matthews in 9 years and already talk Richards may do so. So 9 players in 9 years, if Richards leaves after season the ya 10 for 10

• Jiminy Crickets
      2:13 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Only reason Derek Willis didn’t transfer was because his GF talked him out of it. I live in Bullitt County, trust me this is a fact

• Urincatland
      2:30 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

You busted Bobbum Man’s bubble! Lmao!!

• BallDontLie
      2:03 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Poole, wiltjer, killeya jones, matthews, quade, harrow..what are the other ones?

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:05 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

We have lost in no order. 2010 Cal cleaned house before he got here.. Stacey Poole, Sacha Killeya Jones, Matthews, Marcus lee, Wiltjer, Quade, Harrow, Darnell Dodson. All I can think of.

• Booby Petrino
      2:13 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

glad to see I’m on your mind, crickets. Maybe he meant ‘we don’t have a lot of good players transfer’

• BigolBlue
      2:18 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Booby and others have fresh knee pads today. They knew they had to be ready to defend Cal today.

• Jiminy Crickets
      3:24 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Our good players leave for NBA, GLeague, and Europe, or “4year guys” transfer. Cal has been here 10 years. We’ve had more people transfer out than we’ve had guy go through senior night, but unless it’s a walk-on

• Booby Petrino
      2:15 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

crickets likes to use “would have” and “may” a lot because he doesn’t know a lot. he just acts like he can see into the future.

• Booby Petrino
      2:24 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Bigol that shows how much you know about defense…if you play defense on your knees no wonder you’re such a loser

17. Aar
    1:53 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good luck, young man! I hope your size and skills fit better with your new team. I will be pulling for you and wish you all the best.

18. BigolBlue
    2:10 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Don’t blame him. Cal promised his minutes away to unproven talent. UK now has 0 guards that can shoot at all.

19. BigolBlue
    2:17 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Cal needs to go. Now say ” get real” . ” find another team”( which is hilarious) ” he is god. Who will replace him” . This program is crashing down, some are just too blue tinted to see.

• Booby Petrino
      2:18 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

you need to go but you’re still here. So Cal is just doing what you’re doing…staying when some people don’t want him.

• secrick
      2:21 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Really you have your opinion so who do you want to coach us?

• Bobbum Man
      2:24 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

#2 recruiting class, looking good for next year recruiting wise… slow start as with just about every year but still gonna have a good team and the “program is crashing down” lmao I’m not sure if ur actually this dumb or if ur just dramatic for reactions but man you are honestly delusional. Most every program in the country with the exception of 2-3 maybe would kill to be in our situation yet you label it as the program crashing down lolol

• Booby Petrino
      2:26 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

he named them the other day. a bunch of dudes who have like a 60% winning percentage in $hitty conferences.

20. Wade
    2:21 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

It’s not over this yr! and quickly, herro, Baker , and keldon, can shoot and all play well except unproven baker and from what I saw in 1 minute of action he looks ready to prove himself. Pj is hitting shots and Reid and nick need to be in the post. Ej is the wildcard coach has some toys! Go cats!

21. cats646
    2:27 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I understand completely. Best of luck to the young man. GO CATS!!!!

22. michaelb
    2:27 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I really wish they’d ban booby Petrine. The name speaks for itself . Just completely ratard’d only says non articulate things vs people because no other reason of boredom. Grow up

• Booby Petrino
      2:35 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

the irony of you telling someone to grow up after calling someone “ratard’d”. Of course you probably don’t know what irony is but you can Google it. And seriously, are you drunk? Your sentences don’t make any sense and you can’t spell. Sober up and go to school.

• Bobbum Man
      3:25 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I swear it seems like a good 40% of commenters are just trolls who never say anything positive… but I wouldn’t count on a site that puts 40-50 ads per page on taking clicks away

23. KYjellyRoll
    2:37 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Baker coming into the season helped with this decision. Baker would likely play more than green and I hope baker torches the nets from here on out. Full support to green and his decision. Go cats

24. KYjellyRoll
    2:41 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

I think Richards will stay here. It’s his only chance at becoming NBA caliber. To practice against great competition. No chance he leaves

25. CopenhagenCat
    2:41 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Was a decent player. Would have helped to have him around for four years. But dont blame him for leaving.

26. sincitycat
    2:51 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Good luck Quade and remember, once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat.

27. RkyMntCatFan
    3:32 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Best of luck & good riddance. Kid is not good enough to play significant minutes or start for any top tier team. He’s a huge liability on defense & a turnover machine on offense.

28. shelby
    3:35 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Easy to see why recruiting has slipped: matthews, skal, sacha, nick, quade. All used against cal in recruiting

29. Shively1978
    3:42 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Another one who will go somewhere else and be a star happens almost Everytime. Why don’t Cal just say you can’t have more minutes cause I need to give them to someone who will go pro next year. I wish UK would quit letting him use this program as an NBA stepping stone and make it about UK basketball again. And I don’t wanna hear crap from all of you on Cals jock strap. His record here may be good but as I said before stats don’t lie. Tubby 1 title Cal 1 title. Cals won a whopping 20 more games with top 2 recruiting classes. Wake up its not about titles with him he uses this program to promote the NBA and guess what recruits have caught on and don’t want to be used by Cal just so he can say I have sent thirty nine kids and over a billion in scholarships. Bla Bla Bla and don’t talk to me about bandwagon I’ve watched this program longer than a lot of you have even been born. It’s becoming a damn circus. Good kids leave because there good players and don’t get minutes get dogged fir some kid who is not good now but has potential.

30. Shively1978
    3:42 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Anyway good luck Quade. Go average 20 somewhere else.

31. Shively1978
    3:46 pm December 12, 2018 Permalink

Someone called him a liability. Must be a Richard’s fan haven’t seen anyone as clumsy as nick richards so ce rob lock back in the day. Quade Matthew’s wilcher do you guys only watch UK. Everyone that transfers us GOOD somewhere else and yes they play against good competition.

• mikeg84
      12:07 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Ok who outside of Charles Matthews that has transferred has been good. (Wiltjer doesn’t count Bc be played a very pivotal role as a freshman and won us a title. Then he was a starter who played a ton of minutes. He thought he was being recruited over, but he never gave it a chance to be a part of.). You are a clown – this team will be outstanding and will be a final four team this season. If you think I’m wrong – email me and we can sort out a wager on this. And we can also prove how ridiculous you sound about Calipari. He had a team in the elite 8 2 seasons ago who lost to the National champs on a last second buzzer beater. A game we were flat out cheated by with the officials. We win that game, we win the title. Last years team was close too…. I’ll take bringing a unit into March with the type of talent and caliber we have every year Cal has been coach. It’s incredibly hard to win 6 games in a row – only why only one program has one more title than we do since he’s been here. He’s been to the finals twice and four final fours with 6 elite 8s in 9 seasons but he’s no good? You’re ridiculous

32. Shively1978
    8:11 am December 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m a clown right yes I can count wiltjer because he left. My point is this UK was UK before Cal and will be after Cal. I don’t know why everyone thinks he’s so irreplaceable.