Quade Green: West Virginia a “must-win” game for Kentucky

Quade Green wasn’t quite himself in his first two games back from injury, scoring only six points off 1-10 shooting, but he told reporters today that he finally feels 100% after hurting his back at Tennessee three weeks ago.

“I’m feeling more like myself now. My back is 100% better, so I’m back, getting used to everything.”

The line isn’t out yet, but the No. 7 Mountaineers will assuredly be the favorite. Never one to be shy, Quade is embracing the underdog mantle.

“I like going in as the underdog now. We haven’t won any big games yet. This is the game we’re going to win. So we’ve got to come out and win it this time.”

Did Quade not learn anything from Daxter Miles?! When Jerry Tipton asked him if he was making a prediction with that statement, Quade simply reiterated that tomorrow is a must-win for Kentucky.

“We’ve gotta win this game. This is a must-win game for us because we’ve been losing. Everybody’s doubting us so we’ve got to punch them in the mouth.”

When informed that Quade is billing tomorrow’s matchup as a “must-win,” John Calipari did not seem thrilled.

“I hope they don’t — if that’s what they said, I’ll talk about it. This is only a big game if we win; then, it’s a huge game. Short of that, it’s the next game and it’s not even in our league. It’s a hard game, but it’s not a must-game. I would say Bob Huggins is saying the same thing. It’s gonna a hard game, but it’s not in our league. They win it, it’s a big game for them. We win it, it’s a big game for us.”

Something tells me Quade’s going to get an earful on the plane ride to West Virginia.

[mobile_ad]

23 Comments for Quade Green: West Virginia a “must-win” game for Kentucky

1. Truman Claytor
    1:31 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Glad somebody on this team has a sense of urgency…and is honest about the situation – EVERY word he said is fact!

• Booby Petrino
      1:53 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

“This is the game we’re going to win.” So you’re telling me that’s a fact? Good to know!

2. Jiminy Crickets
    1:37 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I like the confidence, I don’t like the immaturity. Show ur game on the court not talking to media

3. BBNDan7
    1:40 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Y’all overplay everything

4. Realme
    1:44 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Last time Quade talked big before a game it worked out in our favor… by 29 points, I think.

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:45 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I like Quade’s attitude better than Cal’s on this. Quade is burning all of the roads to retreat, which is the attitude you want if you’re expecting to win. Cal is hedging his bets, which is definitely the more reasonable approach. But I like Quade’s better.

• ukbradstith
      2:41 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Amen brother.

• unbridled
      3:45 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I love where green’s head is. Hopefully is teammates are in the same mindset

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    1:47 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

And for the record, I think Quade’s comments are much different than Daxter Mile’s. Mile’s seemed derogatory towards their opponent, while Quade is just saying this is a really big game.

• Catsby80
      2:18 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Agree 100%.

Additionally, it seems like Quade is showing WVU the respect they deserve. He’s saying this is a big game, which it most certainly is, against a good team, which they certainly are. Nothing arrogant about what Quade said at all.

7. Danny44324
    2:22 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

OMG, get off your damn high horse people. WhT he said is nothing close to what Daxter Miles said. I like the urgency. Unlike most of you who respond to this thread and the writers on KSR. Filled with pessimism.

• Realme
      2:34 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Get off your own high horse. There’s literally one comment on here so far that had a problem with what Quade said.

8. KYcats11
    2:41 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Still trying to find what Quade said wrong.

9. Underdog
    3:11 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

What our reckless, short-sighted Wildcat said that was wrong was: “This is the game we’re going to win.”

For people who don’t “get” it, my explanation won’t help you, because you reject it, since it can’t be scientifically proven.

The reason talking smack/ disrespecting your opponent/ predicting victory/ etc. is bad is that the game of basketball or any competitive game is in part psychological. In fact, ALL great coaches understand this and study the art of psychologically inspiring their players to play harder. Lou Holtz was great at it. Pitino was great at it. Calipari I would say is great at it. Holtz was a “10” at playing the underdog. Pitino and Calipari at right up there, maybe a “9.9”.

I guarantee Calipari will say something to Green because his prediction hurt UK’s chances significantly. I’ve tracked results, making mental notes for years, and the results are stunning. The team that talks smack usually (not always) loses. So why, for heaven’s sake, would you want to take a chance and give WV locker room material?

Not too bright.

I know, some of you will disagree. You can’t be helped.

One story: I coach basketball. There’s a big game tomorrow. I KNOW we will beat our opponent tomorrow. Someone close to the opposing team was asking me my thoughts on playing them, like, “do you think you’ll win?” I replied, “It’s gonna be a tough game. We’ll have to bring it and hope to catch them on a bad day,” with a straight face, and no hint of my real belief that we will win, decidedly.

It’s not that Green is wrong to BELIEVE what he said. He darn well better BELIEVE we will win. It’s just unwise to say it publicly.

Because of Green’s comments, I’m less confident we win now. I say we take a loss. Now if a WV player had said that, and we remained humble as a team, then I would def predict a victory.

One more story: I remember a couple years ago JoJo Kemp ran his mouth that we were gonna beat Florida in the Swamp. “This was the year!” What happened? We lost a tough one in the third OT. Without Kemp’s mouth, I bet we would have won convincingly in regulation. Such cause-and-effect real sports stories are a dime a dozen.

I further predict Green personally has a sub par performance. I hope not, but the odds are against him now because he gave the other team a psyche edge.

• RealCatsFan
      3:32 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I agree with a lot of what you have said. The smart approach is to stick with the “sports talk” cliche’s about respecting your opponent, going to be a tough game, etc., even if you believe that you are going to trounce them. In the words of one of our greatest POTUS’s, “speak softly, and carry a big-ass stick”.

• Blue Bill
      9:51 am January 28, 2018 Permalink

Good “loss” we took there Mr. Basketball Psychologist.

10. chief_cat
    3:31 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I have no problem with Green’s comments. He didn’t trash talk WVU – in fact he gave them props since he said it would be a big game and that we would be the underdogs. He understands the immediate need for a marquee win – that opportunities are dwindling to get one during the regular season. His comments tell me that he is paying attention and understands what needs to be done. I also like his confidence in himself and his teammates.
    Predictions can be fraught with peril, but I love that Green understands the moment and isn’t afraid. Now he has to find the courage to back it up and to have his brothers stand up with him and “have his back”. Who knows? Maybe this will be the thing that really helps this team gel and stand together as one.

11. SoCalCat
    3:37 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Love the comments he made. They will have 5 weeks after this game before tournament time. I know Cal has been setting up for a round of 32 exit, so we need someone on the team to push them ?

12. TB112162
    4:29 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

It’s not even close to the same thing he didn’t say 16-5 after Saturday

13. TB112162
    4:43 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

He didn’t say West Virginia doesn’t play hard

14. runningunnin.454
    6:38 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Nooooo,
    Not another must-win game.

15. luke_emberton
    11:09 am January 27, 2018 Permalink

Quade is right the Cats need this game. In case you forgot Cal we are unranked right now. If we’re lucky we’ll be a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. For seeding purposes and player confidence this is a must win game.