Predicting UK’s SEC Record

fortune-teller-378w

After a rougher-than-expected start to the season, the Kentucky Wildcats will begin SEC play on January 8th in hopes of earning a top seed in the tournament. While the SEC is one of the weaker BCS conferences, there are still a number of teams that will challenge the young Wilcats in the upcoming months. Using Sagarin ratings (the best system if you ask me), I’ve listed the predicted outcomes for all of UK’s SEC games. The final record is pretty much what you would expect.

Predicted Wins

Predicted score: LSU – 87.83  UK – 87.56

@ Missouri
Predicted score: Missouri – 87.78  UK – 87.56

@ Florida
Predicted score: Florida – 91.8  UK- 87.56

Predicted SEC record: 14 – 4

While we Kentucky fans are prone to lofty expectations, I think this record is a fair prediction. Road games have always been an issue for Calipari’s young teams, so it isn’t surprising that all of UK’s predicted losses occur on the road. Kentucky’s two toughest games look to be at Florida and Arkansas. Other tough ones include Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss, and Florida on the road, along with Florida and Arkansas at home.

What do you think? Will Kentucky have a better or worse record in the SEC?

Article written by Caleb Epley

Vanderbilt student, Kentucky fan. Skilled at using big words and telling bad jokes. Twitter: @CalebEpleyKSR

8 Comments for Predicting UK’s SEC Record

1. robuk
    11:14 am January 4, 2014 Permalink

How in the Sam-Hell do you think UK got off to a sub par start? Just because a team of freshman who were playing prima-donna high school ball months before couldn’t beat carolina and Mich st early in the season? Come on they took both teams to the last minute and couldn’t spell defense at that moment. Now they look like they might be a top 10 team. Now we see what they can do and I pity any team they play from now till the NCAA tourny.

• Mark
      12:53 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Man, I agree with you on everything you said. Kentucky had the toughest preseason I have ever seen and they played ranked, seasoned teams and barely lost to any of them. A few more made freethows and we would unbeaten. I want to mention one more thing… The SEC is not weak. I am so tired of hearing that crap. The Big East is Over and they got 8 or 9 teams in the tourney ever year. The SEC gets 4 in there every year. And over the past 10 years Florida has won twice, Kentucky once. I would be surprised if the CATS lose another game.

2. Caleb Epley
    1:18 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

#1. I don’t know; I think a 1-3 record against ranked teams was disappointing for this team despite the youth. However, I do think the late start time played a significant role in the Baylor loss, and the schedule was tougher than usual. So you may be right, haha. I’ll change the wording.

3. bigblue091812
    1:30 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

2 out of 3 is not bad, it’s getting better. I’m glad to see more people on here that know what they’re talking about. 14 total points from being unbeaten against 3 top 20 teams none in RUPP. Road games are tough, the games at Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, Ole Miss and LSU will be tough but I look at the CATS going into the NCAA’s with no more than 5 losses and at worse a 2 seed. After coming out of Camp Cal I look for Willis, Lee, Johnson and Hawkins to make more of an impact going forward. I for one woud love to have another shot at Baylor, UNC and MSU right now. No one will be happy to see the CATS in their brackets come NCAA’s.

4. Tom Seaver
    1:42 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

Undefeated in the SEC. Right there with 40-0 overall.

• Mark
      2:10 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

They have done it before since Cal has been coach. I even have a T-shirt that says so from a few years back.

5. bigblue091812
    1:43 pm January 4, 2014 Permalink

THE YEAR OF THE CATS IS UPON US, balance has been restored in the Bluegrass. UK beats down LOSERVILLE, Behanan and Ware done, Teddy Touchdown (LMAO) gone, Charlie Strong gone. Unlike UK where overall we’ve had a great 100+ years the little run for LOSERVILLE was at most a mere 18 months. We all know SLICK RICK JR. will be taking over the LOSERVILLE RED TURDS in the near future, I wonder what big name FB coach takes over their tradition rick program.

• Mark