Poll: What is your Bill Walton tolerance level?

Bill Walton called his first ever Kentucky game last night and he lived up to expectations. Walton’s commentary covered a wide range of topics — including approximately 200 Rex Chapman shout-outs, candles and sweetgrass — and it has Big Blue Nation divided on whether or not fans can stomach his incoherent ramblings on a game broadcast.

Listen to some of his finer moments from last night’s game and then share your Bill Walton tolerance level in the poll at the bottom.

“Love the virgins, yes.”

Psttt! Pssttt!… That is a Wildcat getting serious.”

More sound effects:

“Guards, the lowest level of the evolutionary ladder, supplanted at the bottom by second-string guards.”

“Allergic to sweetgrass?… Allergic, I’m addicted.”

Now let’s see where everyone stands…

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Poll: What is your Bill Walton tolerance level?

1. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    11:44 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Here is the thing, number 1. id smoke some sweet grass with Bill, hes obviously a stoner. 2. We played like $hit last night so whoever was announcing the first 35 mins couldn’t save us from that disaster. 3. Every year we suck to start the season, like were really bad. We just got to hope the football team can keep us entertained before Cal hopefully rights the wrongs on this ever changing ship. Its like deja vu every year now.

• gobble gobble
      12:49 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton is ridiculous, but he made me laugh a few times while the cats were sucking at basketball, so my tolerance isn’t too low…

• 4everUKBlue
      1:48 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Number 1. explains a lot of your comments SSP.

2. Cole28
    11:53 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

What happened to the “this 2020 recruiting class shows the importance of recruiting the trenches in the SEC”? Clicked to read it and it’d been taken down.

3. ClutchCargo
    11:58 am December 19, 2019 Permalink

Late night, and I was feeling a little slap happy anyway, so whatever. It wasn’t any worse that what I saw happening on the court.

4. memphis wildcat
    12:03 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I could not take it every game but was a big slap happy as well so what the heck. Also, if I was a Ute fan, I would have gotten mad at how he was saying how great UK was despite putting on a beat down. Now to Walton’s credit, he was more confident that UK would close the 17 point gap than I was. I thought he was, well, smoking something…

Two of my favorites:

A candle lighting another candle does not lose anything

Its LAS Vegas (not Vegas) – have you ever been to Rouge?

5. Bluebloodtoo
    12:06 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Typically sweet grass isn’t going to get you amped up like he was. There was something different/additional going on in his stream.

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:01 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

To be clear, I’m not convinced that he was “on something”, just that sweet grass alone isn’t going to produce his behavior.

6. Nugget01
    1:39 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton was magical last night. I must’ve pulled pulled 7 or 8 tubes throughout the journey. It was beautiful – didn’t even care about the loss.

7. Bill Jackson
    2:00 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve watched other games he has announced, didn’t like him then, and certainly not last night. Never was sure if he was actually serious about all his praise for UK, Calipari, etc? Remember he was a UCLA bruin under Wooden, and self centered back then, as he is now. Seems it is all about him, and how cute he can be with his remarks. He could be an excellent announcer, if he would cut out all the cute remarks. NOT a fan.

8. KYFAN4LYFE
    2:04 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Somewhere between 0, and my waning tolerance level for Dick Vitale.

9. catheaven
    2:25 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

This is our new Dick Vitale, and it’s awful. Walton was on my nerves last night and would not ever shut up. Crazy chatter. Get rid of him and all the ESPN jokers, even surly Jay Bilas. Give us Tom Hart or any SEC Network announcers. The rest are worthless. Never talk about the game being played or call the game. When a foul is called, I want to know who it was called on and how many fouls that guy now has. Tired of ego inflated announcers.

10. 2Dogs
    2:29 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton and Pasch were the only things keeping me from throwing something at my tv.

11. Craig
    2:44 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I love Walton IF he’s not doing a UK game. He’s incredibly entertaining during some game I only half care about but during a UK game I want to focus on our team and the game.

12. Aar
    2:45 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Due to the quality of play and the Cats trailing badly, I was not in the mood for his spew of whacky color commentary. If the quality of play was better or the Cats were leading, I suspect I would have enjoyed him. About 10% of his commentary is really insightful stuff that you probably can’t get anywhere else. His pro PAC12 rhetoric and gratuitous shining on of fan bases, venues and sponsors have no place – especially not on an unbiased broadcast to the general public.

13. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:45 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Walton made the beat down of the first half far worse. The game was nails on a chalkboard and he was a fork grinding a plate.

14. ukbradstith
    2:59 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I rarely hear Walton, as I usually don’t stay up and watch the games he calls. I honestly don’t think he was on something, I think it’s his shtick. He plays it up because that’s his character. Same thing Dickie V, Bilas, now Tom Hart do; they find something that makes them popular, attitude, catchphrase, demeanor, etc. and that becomes their “thing”. I absolutely loved it. It made me laugh at loud several times. I might get tired of him if I listened all the time, but in small doses I think Walton is great.

15. makeitstop
    3:57 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Whatever dosage he was on should be halved. I thought he distracted us from a shit show. So… ok

16. UKWillGetNine
    7:57 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I made it 5 minutes. Thank God for TuneIn Radio, and it’s ability to delay an audio stream…….