Police investigating alleged rape of 16-year-old in Kansas basketball dorm

Campus police at the University of Kansas are investigating an alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl in the university’s new McCarthy Hall, which houses the Jayhawks basketball team and other male KU students.

According to the report from The Lawrence Journal-World, the alleged rape and other related crimes occurred the night of December 17, the day after the fall semester ended and Kansas defeated Davidson in Kansas City. The suspect in question is believed to have known the victim, and is also accused of contributing to a child’s misconduct, furnishing alcohol to a minor and possession of drug paraphernalia. Officers confiscated two smoking devices with residue at the scene.

No arrests have been made in the case, but all five people listed as witnesses are members of Bill Self’s basketball team.

For more on this ongoing accusation, read the full story here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Police investigating alleged rape of 16-year-old in Kansas basketball dorm

1. Catsby80
    1:48 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Without doing any research at all, are the “other male KU students” that live in the dorms just regular students or are they members of another male sports team? Just curious on the occupants of the residence.

After the Lloyd Tubman thing, I refuse to make judgement until the facts of the case are presented. I encourage others to do the same.

• kvltclassic
      2:02 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Should be randoms because they’re not able to have “special housing” for just a sports team. It has to be at least partially available to the general student population.

• Yev
      2:43 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

The dorm cannot just be for the basketball team, but I dont think that it has to allow the true general public. I think they can get around it by allowing people such as student managers, student trainers, tutors for the team, etc. I think that all of the “regulars” can be somewhat tied to team, but not be a member of the team.

• J-Dub421
      2:47 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

I agree to a certain extent, but what is a 16 year old girl doing in their dorm?

2. Sunshinesbright
    2:44 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Probably student managers, trainers or other athletic department part time staff. Doesn’t necessarily have to be traditional students who aren’t affiliated with athletics.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:15 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

16? Think before you post.

• Based God
      4:39 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

UK Big Board, I can’t tell if your posts are serious or not. I’ve seen several of your posts and been made that much dumber for each one I read.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:12 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Awww, you tried.

3. bennyd113
    2:56 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

screw who the “other male KU students” are….. Im curious who, on the basketball team, was there and allowed it to happen

• Catsby80
      3:05 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

it says there were 5 witnesses and no arrests… Perhaps the story is not as it seems… You shouldn’t jump to conclusions.

• Based God
      4:42 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Just because you are a witness doesn’t mean you sat and watched the crime take place. A witness in this case could have simply been someone who saw the alleged offender walking in or out of his dorm at the time of the alleged crime. Wait for the facts before you start pointing the finger.

4. rickwhitetx
    3:08 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

It could possibly be a freshman with his high school girlfriend. That would be statutory rape. Then there’s the, I’m guessing again, weed consumption. If my first guess is correct, then the drugs wouldn’t be a first occurrence.

What do you think?

• ClutchCargo
      3:33 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

In Kansas, like Kentucky and possibly some other states, the age of consent is 16. So it can’t be statutory rape. Drugs, though…

• Megan
      5:51 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

First, as Peter asked Quagmire, how are you so familiar with the age of consent in different jurisdictions? That’s kinda creepy right there.

Second, just because she’s the age of consent doesn’t mean she consented. The allegation is one of rape.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:13 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

^^ Burn, and burn.

5. Sticky Ceiling
    3:10 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

tomayto – tomahto
    potayto – potahto
    Minardi – McCarthy

….see what I did there?

6. RealCatsFan
    3:31 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Is that cop holding up a bong? 😉

7. RealCatsFan
    3:34 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

No point in jumping to conclusions – we wouldn’t want others doing the same if it involved UK. The fact that a 16-yo was involved may be a case of her misrepresenting her age. She could have been tagging along to a party on or off campus. A little makeup and a lot of 16-yo young ladies could easily pass for 20+. We will need to wait for the facts to emerge before passing any judgement. Still, I would hate to be the coaching staff at KU and have that pall hanging over the program. No laughing matter.

8. Megan
    6:11 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

So … any bearing you think on Trae Young’s decision?

9. UKfanman01
    10:31 pm January 25, 2017 Permalink

Young-Kansas
    Knox-Uk 70%-Duke 30%
    Bamba-UK
    As far as the alleged rape and 5 basketball players being witnesses. I can only hope that none of the team were involved. I seriously doubt the players had anything to do with it as there were bongs (I’m assuming) found with residue and no arrests made. Even if the cops didn’t arrest I would trust that Self would take matters into his own hands and suspend them indefinitely. I’m giving the players the benefit of the doubt

10. kfwa