Players voice their support for Willie Cauley-Stein

willie

After starting the season on a tear and looking every bit like the NBA lottery pick many believe he’ll be, Willie Cauley-Stein has hit a slump.  Starting with the Arkansas game (where he presumably saw his girlfriend, an Arkansas student), Willie has reverted, letting smaller players push him around the paint and looking downright depressed on the sideline.  There are several theories floating around the Big Blue Nation for his funk, including girl troubles, his interests outside of basketball, and even the fact that he dyed his hair from blond back its natural color.

While the BBN is ready to throw Willie an old-fashion sleepover with bleach bottles, chocolates, tissues, and a copy of “Love and Basketball” to get him through this tough time, his teammates are confident he’ll bounce back soon.  Alex Poythress, Julius Randle, and Dakari Johnson were all asked about Willie’s struggles last night, and here are their comments:

ALEX POYTHRESS

Alex is no stranger to slumps.  The sophomore has finally turned the corner after a difficult freshman year, emerging as a confident, decisive sixth man who elevates his team’s play with hustle and energy.  His turnaround could be the story of the season so far.  When asked what advice he would give his fellow sophomore after going through struggles of his own, Alex said that Willie just needs to keep his head down and continue to work hard in practice:

“We know what he can do, we know what he’s doing. He’s just in a little funk right now.  We’ve all been through it. You know, just keep on doing good in practice, it’s not nothing that he can’t do. He’s just in a little funk. He’ll get out of it, because we need him to go down the stretch.  He’s a big part of our team.”

JULIUS RANDLE

Like Alex, Julius stressed how important Willie was to the team’s success, and said that unless he’s playing well, the team won’t be able to have the type of season they want:

“I can’t really speak for Willie. All I can really say is this season we’ve all seen what he can do. As far as the defensive end, he changes the game completely. And offensively if he’s aggressive he really changes the game. We’re not going to be where we want to be unless Willie’s playing well and we all know. I can’t say it’s a lack of him no practicing hard or putting in extra effort or extra work at night with coaches. I’ve seen him do it before practice, after practice, stuff like that. So I think it’ll come around him.”

DAKARI JOHNSON

You could argue that Dakari has the most to gain from Willie’s struggles.  Dakari stepped in so ably last night that Cal started him over Willie in the second half; however, Dakari was humble about the opportunity and said that the team really still needs Willie to do well.

“I’ve just been trying to come off the bench and give a little spark to the team, bring energy. So that’s what I’m trying to do.”

On Willie’s struggles: “I’m not sure. I know he’ll bounce back. He’ll have some great practices. We really need him to step up if we want to do anything special, but he’ll be fine.”

On whether or not it feels good to help the team out while Willie struggles:  “Yeah it does but we still really need Willie. He’ll have some great practices and me and him have been going at it in practice. As long as I’m making him better, he’ll pick it up.”

Just remember, Willie: We’re all Willie Cauley-Stein men (and women):

25 Comments for Players voice their support for Willie Cauley-Stein

1. trey
    1:08 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

So idk who else follows Pierre the Pelican on Twitter, but somebody from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did an ‘interview’ with him and it may be the best thing you read all week. Many mentions of Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and John Wall.
    Best quote from it: “…But then I think to myself, somewhere out there is a little boy or girl attending their first ever Pelicans game and damn it if I’m not gonna show them the best human sacrifice they will ever see.”

2. stevem
    1:09 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Willie has all the classic signs of girl problems…pw’d we used to call it. He better pull out of it or he’s going to be left behind.

• M
      1:10 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

….and a daddy

• NKYUK
      2:18 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

^nice

3. binarysolo
    1:16 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

“I come to this site to read about The Bachelor! All of this basketball crap shouldn’t be on a Bachelor blog!” — Big Bachelor Nation

• inside info
      2:33 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

this comment made me laugh harder than anything the bachelor guy has written here so far this season.

4. Rick
    1:20 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Bring back GoldieBlocks.

5. Korean Tacos
    1:20 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Girl trouble is my guess for WCS. Seems depressed more than just in a basketball slump. Anyone know if the new tree tat covered up the word that was on his neck? Was the word a girl’s name or is that the lion king thing?

• tat
      1:56 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I could be wrong but I think the tat on his neck said hakuna matata (from lion king) and the tree is not a coverup

6. WillieNilly
    1:21 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

The Big Bohemian will be fine…….as for girl trouble, the Big Grizzle can pull birds like Drake…..if he’s getting jerked around by some Arkansas stank he needs to drop her like 6th period French……there are 100 in line just to meet Willie……..

7. Daniel
    1:29 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I mean… He was in deep deep foul trouble last night. no callers pointed that out.. he’ll be fine.. of coarse he isn’t having fun he’ll be back once he catches a break… I don’t think it has anything to do with a girl… Centers in college can sometimes go through it in these games, which 2 out of the 3 games he was in foul trouble for the entire game people forget that or don’t factor in.. I believe in his ability it hasn’t gone anywhere he just needs to realize he’s fine mentally and pull himself through.

• Well Yeah...
      2:33 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

…of course he was in foul trouble. He was fouling like crazy because his head wasn’t in the game. The fouls he committed were silly fouls that come with a loss of focus. I don’t know if it’s girl trouble, or what’s up with Big Willie Style, but I hope he comes out of it soon…WE GOT YOUR BACK WILLIE!!

8. Dr. Phil
    1:29 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I have joined UK’s coaching staff, retro-active to just before Willie’s slump.

9. Vidal Sasoon
    1:35 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

I am happy to work him in if he wants to go back to platinum!

10. Kristen Geil's Abs
    1:39 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

For the record, I’m not worried about him. Everyone has slumps through which they must fight.

11. BobKYCats
    1:39 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Randle made the Midseason Wooden Watch-List.

One day, WCS will be back and with a vengeance.

12. Obvious
    1:53 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Talk about ‘clutter’…

WCS is the biggest accessorizer on the team in 50 years. If he’s serious about being a draft pick he’d focus on basketball and quit looking like such a flake.

• ...
      1:59 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

you are specifically what is wrong with out fan base, congrats

• AnthonyBBN
      2:07 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Don’t you understand that they are just monkeys for our entertainment and are not allowed to have personalities of their own?

• TheTruthAboutCats&Fans
      2:30 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

OBVIOUS is the biggest blowhard in our fan base in 50 years. If he’s serious about being taken seriously, he’d focus on basketball and quit sounding like such a biggoted moron.

13. Luke
    2:09 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Maybe we got ahead of ourselves and put too much emphasis on all the great things he did against teams like Cleveland State, Robert Morris, Providence, etc. And now we are expecting him to repeat that in conference against better quality opponents. It very well could be that he is not one of the best big men in the nation, in the conference, or on the team.

14. BEAUMONT
    2:41 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Willie will be fine… He’ll bounce back soon.

15. Mack
    2:45 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

It’s the hair, in basketball it’s always about the hair, but never discount the girls.

16. Mudcreekmark
    3:53 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Just a few games back he was the player that we couldn’t afford to get into foul trouble because when he was out, the other teams seemed to get layup after layup. When he was in, he blocked everything that came inside the lane. We need for him to get back to trying to block every shot, Cal needs to show him film of himself when he was doing that.

17. maybe
    8:28 pm January 22, 2014 Permalink

Did I put out too much info? I got deleted.TT e-mail me.