PJ Washington’s Father Urges Fans to Relax

P.J. Washington’s absence from the Kentucky basketball team since the beginning of the NCAA Tournament has caused some fans to go crazy.  While we wait to see how quickly he can recover from a sprained left foot, Paul Washington Sr. has one clear message for fans: relax.

“It’s like looking at that cup,” he told the Herald-Leader. “Either it’s half-way full or half-way empty. The water level is at the same level…Tell people to just relax. PJ will play when his body says he can play.

The message echoes the same sentiment Washington Sr. shared with Kyle Tucker Friday night.

“This isn’t about his draft stock, and it isn’t about Kentucky. It’s about making sure my son is healthy,” he said prior to UK’s victory over Wofford. “I would say those people just gotta try to be a parent in this situation and stop being a fan. And just relax.”

If fans believe he’s sitting out to save himself for the NBA, there are no financial motives.  For those who question his toughness, allow Washington Sr. to remind you what his son did last season.

“Where were these same people when he played from January to March last year with a broken finger? Where were these people saying he wasn’t tough? He laid his health on the line then,” P.J.’s father told Jerry Tipton.

Fans will have to wait a little longer to learn more on Washington’s status for Friday night’s game against Houston.  On his call-in show, John Calipari revealed doctors plan on removing the cast from his left foot “probably tomorrow,” however, we will not receive another update from the team until UK’s media opportunity in Kansas City Thursday afternoon.

Until then, take Paul Washington Sr.’s advice, relax.

[Herald-Leader]

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

75 Comments for PJ Washington’s Father Urges Fans to Relax

1. Blue Mass
    9:58 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

I really wish people would realize what a bad look this is having to have a player’s father call BBN out. PJ is definitely an important cog on this team but he is clearly injured. Let’s get behind the coaches and the players who are available and enjoy this run. This is a very capable team with or without PJ. BBN support your team, that is our job, not second guessing and running down our coaches or players.

• BallDontLie
      10:15 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Couldnt agree more. Sad, and embarrassing that someone has to defend their kid like this and especially when he is having to defend him from UK “fans”, which are obviously last people he should need defending from.

• ThankfulCat
      10:44 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Wut?

UK fans are passionate and want the team to win. No one is calling anyone out.

• nocode96
      12:09 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Not at all true, there have been dozens, maybe hundreds of comments in KSR alone calling out his toughness and saying he’s just sitting to save himself for draft night.

• jahanc2uky
      8:02 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

hundreds to a fanbase of millions is considered no one.

• WWITB
      8:18 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I really wish people would realize that PJ’s father is the one who ran to the media and kicked this mess off in the first place.

• skyzoo5
      6:39 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

@Blue Mass, I agree with you, and the other posters who are stating what you are saying. It’s amazing any recruit would want to come to UK, and have to put up with some of the negative comments being made. I know it happens at other programs, but I’m not worried about them. If the young man is hurt then, he’s hurt. I just wish the best for him, our team, and our wonderful fans!

Respectfully,

Tim

2. StillBP
    10:00 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

He’s not wrong. Really it’s a small portion who is questioning PJ’s toughness. The dumbest are typically the loudest.

• TonyMontana
      12:04 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never heard anyone question PJ. I’m kinda confused by all of this. I dont know where Senior is getting this information from. We know he wants to play. We know he will play if he can play and if he can’t play, we’re not going to be mad at him. I’ve got nothing but respect for PJ.

• nocode96
      12:11 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Tony, there have been dozens, if not hundreds of comments here in KSR calling PJ out, saying he’s not tough, he’s faking it, or that he’s just saving himself for draft night. If you haven’t heard that, you haven’t been in the KSR comments the last week or so because those idiots are EVERYWHERE!

• Go Deep
      7:41 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Ever heard of Twitter? The dumbest fans think it’s important to comment directly to a player or their family.

• unbridled
      8:18 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

So the question is….does mr Washington really read the Ksr comments? I’m saying NO. If he doesn’t…why?!?

3. clarks
    10:03 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Exactly they a bunch of idiots. Get well soon big fella Minneapolis is calling your name.

4. Mad Max
    10:04 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Mr Washington. You can’t fight trolls. We have a few. 99% of us know how tough PJ is, love him like a brother and know that if that young man says his foot is hurt, we believe him. Don’t let the few morons get you down. You’ve got a great kid, and we all want the best for him. Trust.

• jahanc2uky
      11:36 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Can a follow-up story be had sharing these sentiments? Very very small portion of fanbase is calling him out.

• tmcclan16
      6:59 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more

• sp
      7:25 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

It doesn’t help that this site won’t stop making new posts about it every few hours. This is a click bait site now which gives a platform to the trolls and maniac fringe of the fan base. KSR used to be a great place to keep up with UK sports. It’s nothing more than an advertising business anymore which needs clicks to pay the bills. We will find out about PJ when we find out. Stop pushing the story down our throats to pad the bottom line. Or at least turn off the comments. It does more harm than good to Give the trolls a place to post every few minutes.

• 4everUKblue
      8:38 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

sp is right about KSR fanning the flames with constant articles to draw in all the trolls and about this site becoming a click bait site. KSR needs to be better than this. I’ve been a UK fan all my life and always will be, but I’ve just about had enough of KSR, BBN was much better off before KSR came along.

5. jeri
    10:09 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Well said Mad Max

6. wyatts1
    10:09 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

I think he’s a strong competitor and love his heart, anyone questioning his heart just hasn’t been watching him play these last two years, he’s a stud. I think some of the turmoil came about by the manner in which UK has seemingly handled the situation after last year’s situation with vando. Either way the chips have fail the way they’ve fail, now it’s time to support our team and hopefully kick some ass in the tourney!! If PJ isn’t ready this weekend then maybe we can go on a run and buy him some time, Lord knows we’ve got the talent!! GO BIG BLUE!!

• unbridled
      11:35 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

I agree. I feel like some of the angst stems from the mixed signals and contradictions coming from the staff. Obviously everyone wants PJ to be healthy and play. I’m just saying when coach cal says he expects PJ to play and everything is precautionary, then PJ shows up in a cast and scooter….people start asking questions and freaking out.

• unbridled
      11:38 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

It just seems like coach cal and staff like to shroud injuries with uncertainty and mystery. Not sure why. In cal I trust though.

7. Rixter
    10:14 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

LOL, Kentucky fans… relax. You ain’t from around here, are ya Mr. Washington?

8. playmorezeppelin
    10:16 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

I think there’s a difference in someone questioning his toughness and someone wanting a straight answer about what’s going on. No one expects him to play on a broken foot. But telling us a week ago that he’s in a boot for precautionary measures and then sitting out in a game that we could have easily lost aren’t consistent with each other. Maybe they’re telling us all they know. But it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve been jerked around with injuries in March.

• KatFan48
      10:59 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Mr. Washington nor his son owe any fan any medical information. The kind of idiocy displayed by some of the “fans” on these posts would make me really want to send my McDonald’s All American son to play at Kentucky — N O T

Thanks P. J. for 2 GREAT years, best wishes for a complete recovery.

9. knoxctfn
    10:17 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like a wise father.

• chrislarkey
      12:22 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

A wise father doesn’t get involved.

• catsarerunnin
      6:43 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

It’s evident yours didn’t.

• BluejayK
      4:56 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

In this instance you are correct Chris. As a parent, some battles you have to let them fight on their own, and I feel like this is one of them.

• 4everUKblue
      8:34 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure larkey ever knew his father.

• chrislarkey
      8:46 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I can have an opposing opinion. I dont have to agree with anything and yeah I can say something about how tough I think someone is.

10. BigJohnC
    10:21 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

We knew this

11. UKCatAttack
    10:32 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

It’s UofL fans trolling as UK fans that are spewing this nonsense. PJ and his father need to understand this is not coming from BBN.

• mikeintn
      10:52 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

What you said! Get well PJ.

12. Marginal Prophet
    11:39 pm March 25, 2019 Permalink

Actually, I am perfectly ok with P.J. and the coaching staff not revealing whether he will play until Friday at game time. Why would we want to give the opposing team a good idea about what they should game plan for? Plus every fan worrying about it will not improve the situation. If he plays great. If not, that is just the way it is. The young man is undoubtedly a fierce competitor, he will play when he is able. If our bigs can play without fouling, and we have good guard play, I still like this team over majority of this field.

13. michaelb
    12:06 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

This injury makes me want to see the end of the season – im just over it – I can’t handle how dramatic everything is right now & im actually ready to move on from pj Washington . Sounds crazy but yeah , NEXT

• nocode96
      12:13 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Bye Felicia. For someone who is “over it”, you sure are jumping at the chances to complain about it. As we all told you earlier, don’t let the door hit ya. We do t need people like you here.

• ScoggDog
      12:23 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

You know what nocode – you’re exactly right. Kentucky don’t need people like that here.

Here – take my seat. I don’t need it no more. Not like I’ve been using it much lately anyway.

To Hell with ’em.

• Go Deep
      7:45 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

This guy is not a real fan. Why would anyone say let’s just give up…? See ya sucker

• 4everUKblue
      8:29 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Good riddance Scogg and anyone else who has had enough.

14. chrislarkey
    12:22 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Well he did play with a hurt finger last year his dad said.

Ronnie Lott of the 49ers had a piece of his pinkie finger cut off so he could play.
    Ronnie Lott is in HOF

It don’t bother me a player is hurt, I just hate hearing a small sprain and be back quickly
    Now a hard cast and probably out for the tourney

• 4everUKblue
      8:31 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

You’re among the top of the biggest idiots on here and that’s saying something. You obviously dropped out of school judging by your grammar. Go back to your meth lab.

• runningunnin.454
      8:49 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

There you go; let’s just cut off his foot, problem solved. Let’s quote your man, Ronnie Lott.
      “We are losing the compassionate side of sports. We are becoming gladiators. If I ever become a coach, I hope I never lose sight of the fact that players are people.”

15. [email protected]
    3:15 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

As I read many of the comments in this thread it becomes clear why a kid wouldn’t want to live in a fish bowl even if it is for one year. An opposing coach would show this to a kid and what kid wouldn’t take a step back and wonder if he can handle the BBN.

• Cokely53
      5:24 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

You realize the NBA is only 100 times worse at even the smallest market clubs right? And that every other big name school has the fish bowl as well. Asinine comment.

16. Kerosenerag
    6:16 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Get well soon PJ…we all know your tough as nails. You do what’s best for you long term. Go Cats!!!

17. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:37 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Hope P.J. gets back out there obviously. However, I see no way North Carolina is prevented from winning that region regardless. They have been by far the most impressive team in the tournament so far.

• KYcats11
      6:54 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

We already beat them…

• CahillsCrossingNT
      8:40 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I’m well aware of that. Seton Hall and LSU already beat Kentucky too. I guess that means Kentucky can’t possibly beat either of them either.

18. weneedpitino
    6:38 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Washington is tougher than nails and I suspect he might be back soon. Reminds me of I guy I had play for me on the church rec league team, his name was Wilbur Martin, this guy here was the definition of tough. The night before our final regular season game he got in a fight the night before. He caught 3 guys breaking into his barn so he confronted them, he took one out with a broom handle, the other with a 5 gallon bucket, and the last with his fist. The next day at our game his hand was darn near the size of the basketball but he played anyway. If I remember correctly he finished with 34 points and 12 boards. Come to find out his hand was broke. Go cats, and go guys tougher than nails!!

19. tmcclan16
    6:50 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

He is right. The kid is hurt and has a very bright future ahead of him. If he’s ready to go great can’t wait to see him in the lineup. If not then so be it next man up and let’s play. Don’t rush back because a very small portion of the fan base are idiots.

20. KYcats11
    6:54 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Get well soon PJ

21. kurofmi
    6:58 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

None of this adds up. Not disputing the injury…eventually the truth will out. Daddy needs to drive his own lane and let Sonny carry his own weight. MHO. Go Blue!

22. Dodge a wrench
    7:58 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

From a fathers standpoint I understand his comments, but, from a fans standpoint this comment resonates no care for the University or his team, only that of his draft position!

23. weneedsanity
    8:01 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

GO PJ! And GO PJs scooter! I’ve got it! Scooter races for the halftime festivities. Maybe we can petition the NCAA do this. Then send another one to the UK athletic dept for PJs medical records. Gosh darn…we’ll get to the bottom of this!

• weneedpitino
      8:46 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Lol, that’s pretty good stuff weneedsanity. Go cats, and go weneedsanitys sense of humor!!

24. Racerr11
    8:04 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I believe it’s been blow out of proportion by both sides. I read the internet daily sometimes several times a day including ksr. I have only saw a handful of comments about PJs toughness or if he’s really injured. In no way has there been 100s of comments that’s grossly exaggerating . Of course we want him to play if he’s able to play but otherwise in no way are we a 1 player team. We have a great chance with or without PJ. I believe PJ senior is overreacting himself . Come on BBN let’s act like the class act we are not like the school up the road. Remember we are the Gold standard of college basketball are tradition is 2nd to none let’s act that way.BBN

25. krscat
    8:08 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Upset after UT loss. Kicked wall or locker. Broke foot. Next man up.

• Dodge a wrench
      10:04 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I admire his passion if true, the truth would set everyone free!

26. makeitstop
    8:14 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

I can’t speak to twitter, I’m not a twit so I don’t tweet, but in this site I honestly haven’t seen any fans question his toughness or his motives. I’ve seen trolls who are fans of other schools do it to look like UK fans and each time the do they draw incoming fire from actual fans. I may be wrong – obviously I hv not read every post – but isn’t that a fair observation? The actual fans on here have hammered anyone who questioned his toughness or motives.

• runningunnin.454
      9:10 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

May be a fair observation; and, I won’t say there have been hundreds, but there have been several comments questioning PJ’s toughness. They say he’s quitting on the team, he’s soft, he should play through the pain, he’s shutting it down to protect his future in the NBA.
      Some people said he cost us the game last year against K State; but, he was the only reason we were even in the game.
      I hope the Washingtons do realize the overwhelming majority of UK fans have their back.

• catsarerunnin
      9:48 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

His toughness has been questioned here by the usual suspects. There are those here who are obvious UL Trolls (Slater and his multiple IDs) but there are also “fans” who actually enjoy the Cats losing because it gives them an opportunity to whine,cry and say “I told you so”. I actually know people who do the same and have for years yet they look the part with UK apparel and all but they enjoy it when the Cats lose. They aren’t real fans and neither are the ones here.

27. clarks
    8:18 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Shame he got hurt on those vicious dunks on Tennessee. Now we know why he was short on that bunny putback.

• 4everUKblue
      8:32 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Find another team with the kind of players that measure up to your standards.

28. rcope58
    8:39 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

PJ came back to help win a championship. No one wants him to play more than he himself wants to play! BBN needs to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I am sure that Cal is planning scenarios for either outcome.

• chrislarkey
      10:13 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

Both PJ and Cal already know that he isnt playing the rest of the year. ITs just to keep people guessing.

This could have been our year.

• BigJohnC
      12:58 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

Eww the optimism gushes from you

29. Kizzy
    11:28 am March 26, 2019 Permalink

This is Kentucky you know when you come here your life is in the fish bowl. We demand excellence. Having said that, I will not stop being a fan, it’s my right.

30. binarysolo
    12:18 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

Don’t forget he’s been in a boot since the SEC tournament, been scooting around on a scooter since then. Even if his cast came off today and he’s cleared to play, he’s got some catching up to do in terms of conditioning. Best case scenario he plays limited minutes against Houston.

31. sportsbird66
    12:49 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

Jarred Vanderbilt all over again

• chrislarkey
      12:53 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

His dad acts like he would have died if the finger got hurt worse.

I mean its a finger, not his heart or kidneys. he seems pretty dramatic.

I hope PJ is good to go, but im sure he isnt and Im sure if he was he would play.
      I just hate the whole thing.

• UKBigBlueForever
      12:54 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

Not even close to Vanderbilt all over again…

32. BigJohnC
    1:00 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

His conditioning won’t be affected very much from a week and a half. If nothing else he’ll be well rested ready to go. Years f conditions don’t wear off in 10 days lol

33. weneedsanity
    2:09 pm March 26, 2019 Permalink

If he has the misfortune to see what many from the Big Batshit Nation have said about him, I’m sure his mental conditioning we be lackluster. GO cats and Go batshits!