PJ Washington turning heads on Day 2 of the NBA Combine

PJ Washington is off to a great start on Day 2 of the NBA combine. He opened the first 5-on-5 scrimmage by hitting two 15-foot jump shots. The midrange jumper is exactly what he needs to show off to catch the eye of the NBA, and he got right to it as soon as the Friday action got going.

Jeremy Woo, the draft expert over at SI.com, tweeted, “Kentucky’s PJ Washington has been the best player in this first scrimmage so far. Think he’s helped himself this week. Showing consistency with his jumper and willing to bang on the inside. Uses his hands and length to compensate for size. Interesting draft decision for him.”

There is still more combining to go today.

You can follow along on ESPN2 until 7 p.m.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for PJ Washington turning heads on Day 2 of the NBA Combine

1. BCO
    4:37 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

Travis Reid, come on down…

2. david8577
    4:42 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

He’s gone, and best of luck to him. But man, he needs to work on starting his shot higher up. He starts his shooting motion with the ball at stomach level.

3. bhb71
    4:47 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

He GONE

4. Alex90
    5:10 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

Bye PJ. I genuinely wish him success in the NBA but I just dont understand why he so determined to leave UK to be a 2nd round pick.

• BBNDan7
      5:58 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

Did you question Ulis when he did it? Ulis also got a guaranteed contract as a 2nd rounder

5. 206Bones
    5:35 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

I turned my head for the last time after the 10th missed FREE throw

6. runningunnin.454
    5:45 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

I like PJ; but, playing against other draft hopefuls is just not the same as going up against the big boys in the League.

• BBNDan7
      5:58 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

Is say GM’s know that too

• runningunnin.454
      6:19 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

You would think; but, sometimes you see what they do, and you have to wonder. The Suns will probably draft SGA…because they need another guard.

• BBNDan7
      7:17 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

You’re not wrong there lol or the Kings

7. Underdog
    6:33 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

Obviously, if he was truly ready, he wouldn’t have taken so many college games off.

That’s the biggest factor, if I was a GM or NBA coach. If you played hard and were mentally “in it”, let’s be kind and say, 70% of the time, that won’t cut it in the NBA. It really doesn’t cut it in college.

But he’s a freshman, so I get it. He just needs to mature, and “bring it” 100% of the time. He can’t take any games off, or not be focused, or not play D on some of the games. Coach Cal is fond of saying, “they’re not machines”, as he makes valid excuses for their inconsistency. But for the owners who write the checks, there is no excuse. The consequence is not getting drafted, or getting cut, etc.

I think PJ has a good career ahead of him in the pros.

The question is, does he want to make 1/6 of a paycheck, or maybe 1/10 of a paycheck and play this year, or can he wait and make a full paycheck next year. I think next year, if he proves consistency, he’ll be a mid first rounder and get paid a “full” check.

There’s no dishonor in playing one more year at UK. Michael Jordan played 3 years. Ulis played 2. The twins played two. Come back to UK and be a leader, and then make your money next year, getting paid anywhere between 6x to 10x what you’ll make this year.

True, maybe he could get a club to pay him $300,000 this year. Wait one year, and that same club will pay you $1.8 million.

8. TreyTingle
    6:39 pm May 18, 2018 Permalink

I hate to beat a dead horse. But seriously he’s a small ball five at best in league. Draymond Green has built the archetype for this role. But what Draymond can do his guard 5 positions and knock down threes consistently. I don’t see any of these videos showcasing PJ hitting a three. That’s all the league is now. Good luck to him. But for me if T Jones doesn’t have a spot in this league how can PJ make a roster. Best of luck to him.

9. catsfan9508
    12:20 pm May 19, 2018 Permalink

It’s just so frustrating when they’re so determined to leave and they know they’re a second rounder. Then they end up in G league coming back to uk games talking about how much they hate it. Well I’m sorry but you brought that on yourself. Some of these players I lose some respect for when they do that. Because they know they’re being begged to come back to improve their draft stock. Ulis couldn’t improve from what he already was which was a great player I’m not bashing him. I understood his decision. But you’ve got Teague, Orton, Lamb, Dakari etc. All those players knew if they came back they could improve. But I now honestly believe there’s a mindset now at UK that if you don’t go your first year you’re a failure and they lose confidence. So they listen to all the wrong people and make these bad decisions and regret it later. Listen I’m blue through and through till my last breath. I watched the Kansas st game the day after I had heart surgery. How do you think that felt. I watched the ole miss football game that we blew up 10 points while I’m in the hospital being monitored for possible heart attack lol. Point being is I’ll watch and root for my Kentucky wildcats even if it’s the death of me. But I’m sorry I don’t have to support some of these decisions when they’re so uninformed. I believe we have a big mindset problem on our hands with having to leave. I want them to succeed more than y’all know. They’re the reason i started watching nba again. Because I pull for our nba cats. I just don’t get the hurry up and leave mindset tho. PJ I love ya man but you’re going up against college kids right now. I think you’re best being like draymond green and IMO the grown men are not going to let you be like that yet because of consistency. It aggravated me when shortly after the season he post that video of him knocking down threes. Ok why didn’t you do that during the games. Yes I know some games Cal wouldn’t let him. But he took enough that barely hit the rim or even air balled to show in real games he can’t be consistent. Good luck to you kid I hope you accomplish what you’re looking for. But we all get the answers we want if we look hard enough. We can twist a word here or there and make ourselves believe whatever we want. GO CATS!! #BBN