PJ Washington declares for the NBA Draft

In what is the most expected of Kentucky’s draft decisions, PJ Washington has declared for the NBA Draft and will sign with an agent.

“It’s been a little over a week since our season ended but it still hasn’t hit me that I’ve played my last game with Kentucky across my chest,” Washington said. “This place has been my home for two years and it’s hard for me to put in words how much I’ve grown in my time at Kentucky. The staff challenged me from day one to become the best version of myself and to work hard to become one of the best players in college basketball. I feel like I’ve done that.

“When I decided to come back to school a year ago, I knew there were things I still wanted to accomplish so I challenged myself to become a better all-around player, to develop more consistency and to become a leader for this team. Although we fell a couple games short of our ultimate goal, I’ll never forget the season we had with my brothers. We did some special things this season and made memories that I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life.

“I want to thank God, Coach Cal and the staff with challenging me to become the player that I am. They believed in my potential and never accepted anything less than my best. Thank you helping me grow into a man that’s ready for this next step. To my teammates: Wow, we have been through so much. Thank you for putting your trust in me and for inspiring me through every workout, practice and game. I’ll never forget this group. And to everyone at UK: Thank you for your support and for helping a kid from Dallas see his dreams come true.”

PJ declared for the draft last season, but after going through the combine and receiving feedback, decided to return to Kentucky for his sophomore year. The gamble looks like it will pay off, as PJ is projected to be a lottery pick in all of the major mock drafts. He finishes his Kentucky career with 932 points, 475 rebounds 120 assists and 74 blocks and was named an NCAA Consensus All-America Third Team selection.

“I’m so proud of PJ and what he’s accomplished over the last two seasons,” John Calipari said. “When he was in this position last year, he had to determine what was best for him. He looked at this and said, I want to come back and work on my game, to be coached, to become one of the best players in the game and to help us be one of those teams in the mix. And I told him, do not come back to school unless you’re going to drag your teammates with you. And boy did he ever.

“PJ transformed everything about his game. He became a national player of the year candidate, he showed his full set of his skills and he improved his stock while helping us become one of the best teams in the country. What I’m most proud of is how PJ developed into a leader. Every kid is on their own timetable, and the one that PJ followed – which was the best path for him – has put him in a position to do some special things at the next level. I can’t wait to watch his continued growth.”

Thank you, PJ.

[mobile_ad]

25 Comments for PJ Washington declares for the NBA Draft

1. StillBP
    10:12 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Best of luck to PJ! Thanks for the 2 years of fun!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

And, Gomer says…surprise, surprise, surprise.

3. KyCats8x
    10:13 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Good luck big fella!

4. Thanks for all the hard work PJ!!!

And thanks for showing guys they can improve their stock exponentially by coming back!

5. ClutchCargo
    10:17 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Hate to see him go, but we knew this was coming. It was great to see him come back and improve so much this season.

6. J-Dub421
    10:18 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Thanks PJ, and best of luck!

7. nocode96
    10:23 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for everything P.J. Now, go tear it up at the next level.

8. Larkin123
    10:25 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Cals only shot at title Is he doesn’t get the best of the best and gets the next group down. And some of those come back. He might back into a title like a Roy has a few times with failed one and done..

9. Alex90
    10:26 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

He definitely should’ve come back to work on his free throws….huge mistake

Ok just kidding….sort of

10. VulcanEar
    10:28 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Why achieve your dreams and make millions when you can play for free one more year? So selfish /S

11. BamaBlue
    10:31 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Good luck living your dream PJ. One of my all time favorites. Go Big Blue.

12. mashman 93
    10:38 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

PJ Washington is pure class and boy did he ever help himself by coming back plus our team had a heck of a season. Go get em PJ. GO BIG BLUE!!

13. jr
    11:20 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

All I can say is PJ, you made the best and grown up decision, and with the hard work you put it this ya, and also showing everyone you are a leader, you are going to make millions! Thanks for making this team fun this year, and keep up the hard work, and you don’t need luck, just keep doing what you are doing and have a great NBA career!! Hopefully others will see that one and done isn’t the be all to the NBA!

14. travbub
    11:49 am April 9, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for everything P.J… wish you nothing but success and happiness… Good Luck!!!

15. Kerosenerag
    12:03 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Congrats PJ…may all your wishes come true. Thanks for the memories and for being such a class act. Go get your dream man…you earned it. BBN love’s ya!!!

16. Jiminy Crickets
    12:42 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Best of luck to PJ

17. Jiminy Crickets
    12:48 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Guys like keldon Johnson could learn a lot from PJ. KJ could learn the SG position next year (most likely where he’ll play in NBA)… but he won’t. He’ll leave and after 2 years in Gleague maybe he’ll play for Rick in Greece. The Gleague is filled with 6’6” SF with no real defined skill set.

• JT919
      1:22 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Spot on analysis. A consistent jump shot and actually using his athleticism would make Keldon a pretty solid big 2-guard. Maybe not a star but certainly a rotation piece.

18. Kat4Life
    1:04 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

When he was dialed in he was as effective as any power forward we’ve had. Gonna miss him

19. Ol Jim
    1:06 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

PJ has been nothing but a class act and a hard worker during his time with our Cats. I hate to see him go but I couldn’t be happier for the young man. Now go to the league, make yourself several million dollars and represent the University of Kentucky!

20. 4everUKblue
    1:14 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Good luck PJ and thanks for all your dedication!

21. catheaven
    3:27 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Will be watching the draft just to see your name called and the joy you experience. Rooting for you PJ. You deserve it for the mature man you are by realizing you were not ready last year, and coming back to work harder of your game. Now go get em! Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

22. catheaven
    3:30 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

I hope the entire rest of the team are as mature as PJ and decide to come back to work on their games. They all need to. It saddens me when they leave too soon and end up playing in the D league and quietly fade away because they just weren’t ready.

23. Wildcat homer