PJ Washington declares for draft, but not hiring agent

PJ Washington just announced on social media he is declaring for the NBA Draft, but will NOT hire an agent.

“After meeting with Coach Cal and talking through my situation, I am going to test the waters and see where I stand after my freshman year,” PJ wrote. “I want the fans to know that I love school, I love this program, and I love Kentucky.”

“I’m not in a hurry to make any type of decision but Coach believes I should evaluate where I am right now.”

Washington averaged 10.8 points and 5.7 rebounds in his freshman year but came on strong in the final stretch of the season, averaging 12.9 points and 6.8 rebounds in the last 12 games. He led the team in total rebounds with 211 boards.

“PJ and I met and talked this week about his future and the process that he would be able to go through if he chose to,” John Calipari tweeted. “I think it’s very important that each kid understands where he stands at this point in the eyes of professionals.”

“PJ has improved physically and mentally. His ability to play winning basketball isn’t even close to where it was at the beginning of the season. I’ve seen a tremendous growth in all those areas. Like all these kids, I would like to continue to coach PJ, but I’m going to support him as he goes through this process.”

Smart move. Best of luck to PJ as he goes through this process.

[mobile_ad]

36 Comments for PJ Washington declares for draft, but not hiring agent

1. kjd
    3:35 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Will hear what Diallo heard, develop a consistent jump shot. Hopefully, PJ will.

2. BBNDan7
    3:35 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I can’t wait for the people who don’t understand the process to get here and bash his decision

3. rcope58
    3:36 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Good luck PJ! I really would like to see you back in blue next year. This will give you the chance to receive an unbiased opinion on where you stand.

4. maximumscott
    3:37 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

If going to get evaluated then ok but this dude gotta be high AF if he thinks a 6’7” frame with no outside shot or free throw shot can play in the league.

5. njCat
    3:38 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

If the kid that just scored 31 winning a national championship doesn’t declare, why would Washington? Let him watch some tape of himself and DiVincenzo and he can do his own evaluation. Same goes for every other player on this team.

• KYWildCatsFan
      3:47 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Why not go and get evaluated by scouts who can give him valuable info? He’d be dumb not to. It doesn’t hurt him at all, and get can return to school. Absolutely no downside.

• J-Dub421
      4:51 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Yes, let’s judge solely based on one game. Washington and DiVincenzo have fairly similar stats for the year, by the way.

• njcat54
      11:53 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Did you ever see Washington look like DD did on Monday? Can he make a three? Can he shoot 80% from the line? Give me a break…

6. chrisg18
    3:40 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I thought he was having surgery? If so, I don’t think he could participate in any workouts. But maybe he holds off on surgery until he goes through the process.

• ukcamel
      4:11 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

You can also just declare so that you can meet with NBA folks. Basically nothing changes if you decide to remove your name, except that I think once you declare and withdraw once, you can’t do it again (and my feeling is P.J. will be a one or two-year player regardless).

• JerryDamage
      4:26 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

They said the other day that you can go through the combine twice. Not sure on if the NCAA will allow you to test the waters twice though.

7. mothandras
    3:43 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Let the head scratching begin.. Hopefully he figures out what we already know.

8. Wade
    3:47 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Nba is a scorers league don’t know if he can do it yet but evaluations aren’t a declaration there just info to help you. Like a business seminar.

• King Kelly Coleman
      5:09 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Yes and no, it is a scorers league but you also have to have guys like Deandre Liggins too. I’m not saying PJ is anywhere near Liggins defensively…but he could be if he chose to work at it.

9. lexslamman
    3:48 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

With the league favoring 6-8 to 6-10 guys who can shoot at both forward spots now, PJ has a ways to go before he’s really ready for the NBA. He’s still smart to test the waters – I think he’ll be back, though.

• secrick
      3:55 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I agree very smart and will be back.

10. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    3:56 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I don’t understand why he needs to go to the combine to listen to the experts when he could just come to the comment section here and hear the exact same thing. I KEED! I KEED!

• bluecrowe
      4:07 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I think you are not kidding because that is exactly the correct answer. He has no outside shot, he cannot shoot free throws and he is 6’7. If he does not grow 2 -3 inches he is playing in a third world country anyway. I love this kid. I hope he comes back rather than playing in Boise. He must learn how to shoot.

11. BlakeBlueNation
    3:57 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Though this is somewhat good news for us (Not signing an agent) the fact he at least wanted to go to the combine likely means he is interested in going to the nba. This means it is near certain some of his friends like Knox and Shai are for sure gone now. It may have been obvious before but this really proves it. Oh well, we still got Quickley and Johnson for next year. It’d be nice if Pj comes back however.

• ClutchCargo
      4:10 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Jump to conclusions much? Ha!

• az1006
      4:25 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

He’s clearly interested in going to the NBA…Every kid that plays college basketball is interested in going to the NBA. By doing this, he’s getting valuable information about how scouts and teams view him now, and can understand what they expect him to improve upon in order to get a “guaranteed” spot in the first round. He may not even participate in the combine (has to be invited), but at least by doing this, he can have conversations with NBA folks firsthand and make a more informed decision. I think he still comes back, but if I were in his shoes, I think I’d want as much information as possible.

• BBNDan7
      4:26 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

No shit he’s interested in going to the nba

• theWilkman
      4:33 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

When I was in the Gatton School, I wonder if anyone thought I was interested in working for a business?

12. jomani
    4:12 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get why you wouldn’t do this? You get to get face to face feedback from your future employers and in the meantime get to train and scrimmage with the best of the best. He can either practice against the likes of Marvin Bagley and Deandre Ayton, or come here and practice post moves against Brad. Smart move by PJ

13. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    4:22 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Smart move! He can now get feedback from the most high. These kids live for this stuff, well the big time competitors. Who wouldn’t, if the opportunity presented itself, not go and see what most would be afraid to hear. To me it speak volumes of his character… Hes not afraid of failure or criticism, and boy is he about to get some. The beauty of it is he can get it from other people he has no connection with, and it’s not from people who love him like his family and Cal. It’s a win win!

14. Fake Donald Trump
    4:39 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I read a lot of comments on Twitter and Facebook of folks saying PJ and others aren’t ready in their opinions and are taking a lot of crap for it and that is wrong. I think people should be allowed to opine whichever way they wish without having to take heat for, and it doesn’t mean they’re not supportive of the player or being selfish about them wanting to stay.

With that said, I think he would be better served to stay and develop BUT happy he is exploring his options. I can see Terrence Jones potential with him, inside that is, and if he can develop a mid to outer range shot to complement what he current has, then all the better. He can rebound well also.

Shai should probably do the same explore his options and not hire an agent. As far as development, he can slash and drive but his outside shot is a bit inconsistent from my view. He’s a great leader as well. I think he’s closest out of the bunch to being ready to go.

If those 2 come back and Knox does too they have a great chance next year to be special, especially with shooters coming in, like Herro.

15. StuckinLville
    4:50 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Remember when the changed the rules and the whole team declared? Any kid in PJ’s situation would be dumb not to go be evaluated so the NBA experts tell you exactly what you need to do. I except several players to do this.

16. Randall lee
    4:57 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Hopefully all the freshman follow their dreams and play in the pros. We can build a team around that 3-point shooting assassin the amazing brad calipari.

17. The Professor
    5:05 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

There actually is a downside to declaring now. He can test the waters only once so this means there is no way he stays past his Soph year. He is a tweener who may never go high in the draft or make the NBA so why waste this opportunity when there is no chance of you being told to stay in the draft. My Aunt Matilda could tell him what he needs to work on to get better. He doesn’t need to enter the draft to find out! Why not wait a year to see how your game has evolved and then see where you stand in the market.

18. BigBlue4Three
    5:11 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I miss the days when only the elite college players even considered jumping to the NBA early. Now it seems every kid EXPECTS to be a one and done despite the fact that they are no where near ready to compete at an NBA level.

The NBA is mostly to blame for the whole draft kids on potential mindset. Draft them, pay them for 2 or 3 years and if they don’t pan out let them sit on your bench, never get coached or developed and then send them to the G league.

I hope the 2 or none rule gets serious consideration. If a kid has zero interest in college, let them go straight from high school, but if they commit to a college then require a minimum 2 years in college.

19. dballrb
    5:47 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Letting players declare to get proper feedback…That’s one thing the ‘league’ got right

20. dballrb
    6:05 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

If you can get 10 boards,and/or play great D..You’ll have a spot on any roster and a very long career and a ballers bank account..or bankruptcy soon after.