Pitino to UofL fans: “I will not resign and let you down”

Calipari has this many wins against me?!

We’re trying to focus on things other than Louisville today, promise, but Card Nation makes it too easy. This morning, Peyton Siva Sr. told us he wants SEX SEX SEX, and a little bit later, Rick Pitino uploaded a post previewing Louisville’s basketball season, but who cares about that. The most interesting part is Rick’s vow not to resign and let Louisville fans down:

First, above all, I’m sorry we all have to endure the pain of these allegations. I so appreciate your support and friendships.

I will not resign and let you down. Someday I will walk away in celebration of many memorable years but that time is not now. I do not fight these accusations by others but rather turn the other cheek. Couldn’t do it at 33, but at 63 it’s the wise thing to do. Let’s let the investigators do their job and we will play basketball.

Of course, he ends the post by mentioning the Pope and his famous words “We will let God judge.”

As BTI pointed out on Twitter, what Pitino fails to realize is by not resigning, he is letting down the portion of his fan base that wants to move past this scandal for a fresh start; however, we all know his ego will never let him do that. But that’s fine. If Rick did resign, he’d really be letting UK fans down. Calipari is 7-1 against him, after all.

Click here to read the rest of Rick’s post, if you’d like.

63 Comments for Pitino to UofL fans: “I will not resign and let you down”

1. BlueKel
    12:08 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Pitino channeling his inner Bill Pullman in Independence Day:
    “We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We’re going to live on!

We’re going to survive!”

2. J-Dub421
    12:14 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Just a thought for all the people who think Andre McGee acted alone and was a “rogue” assistant coach: Do you pay for work-related expenses out of your own pocket??? If you go to a conference for work, do you pay the registration fees, hotel, meals, etc. yourself, or does your company pay those?

This is why I’m pretty certain that McGee wasn’t acting alone. Someone else was funding this. Not to mention that McGee made arrangements for Antonio Blakeney’s visit, three months after he went to work for UMKC.

• J-Kwon
      12:50 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I would agree with you. But I’ve also thought maybe he did pay for this out of his own pocket. If he was considered responsible for recruiting these guys, it would help him land him a more lucrative coaching job.

• Booby Petrino
      12:59 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Dude played pro ball for 1 year in Germany, doubt he had too much money to pass out.

• Mc
      1:03 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

So why would he have made a payment for Blakeney when he wasn’t even on the UL staff at that point as he landed a different job? There has to be someone else involved.

• J-Dub421
      1:06 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

He ended up making good money at U of L, but his first two seasons he made around $35,000 as a graduate assistant. The $10,000 dollar figure people keep throwing around only represent the money he paid to Powell directly for organizing the “parties” and does not include additional money paid to the strippers for sex with players/recruits, nor does it include money that was given to players/recruits in singles to throw at the strippers. The actual amount McGee would have been out has to be at least double, if not more. Would you pay that much out of pocket? $20,000+?

• J-Dub421
      1:07 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

*represents.

• rockatao
      1:10 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Remember that $10,000 figure was over four years though. He could have done it himself.

• J-Dub421
      1:17 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

It’s more than $10,000 grand though.

• But
      2:57 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I think he also lived in the dorms rent free.

• J-Dub421
      2:59 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

You all still aren’t answering that yes, you would totally pay $10,000 dollars or more out of your own pocket for work related expenses. I know I wouldn’t.

• theWilkman
      3:24 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Pitino said himself that McGee had no responsibility to get someone to commit, only to make sure they were academically eligible, going to class, etc. So if he had no reason to do so, why would he pony up thousands of dollars for recruits and their dad’s to get laid? Especially after he wasn’t even employed by UofL?

There is no denying that he did not act alone. Not saying it was Pitino, but someone was giving him money.

3. 2bigblue4u
    12:15 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Is there any word on when the NCAA will announce their findings? My Faith in the NCAA is already very small but I have a feeling we are going to be severely disappointed with the punishment they give the UofL basketball program.

4. Willis talkin bout
    12:16 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

UofL needs a new President, and new AD, and a new Basketball Coach. Nothing will change until the first two are removed. So of course Pitino is going anywhere… Hopefully between the national media attention and the NCAA, some of the board members will see that change is needed. its almost a criminal organization at this point..

5. The Pope
    12:16 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Please stop referring to me. I don’t even like basketball.

6. UL Beat Writers
    12:17 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Can anyone ask Pitino the questions: Who hired Andre McGee? Who did Andre McGee report to?

7. Catlogic15
    12:18 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

What he fails to realize is that in this case, the NCAA is God.

8. realme
    12:19 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I really would be fine with it if he would get struck by lightning today. This hypocritical lie fest has gone too far.

9. BenHur
    12:20 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I hope they keep him. He’s a trainwreck and I can’t turn away from looking at it.

10. The Obvious
    12:26 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

2bigblue4u,
    The NCAA hasn’t even announced the findings of the UNC investigation that happened some 18 months ago about their over decade long academic fraud case! There is no end in sight or timetable. The NCAA is the worst run billion business in the country!
    Sincerely,
    The Obvious

• NCAA
      1:08 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

To be fair, it is not completely the NCAA’s fault (I feel slimy writing that). The delay is caused from UNC. UNC self reported new allegations (I guess that’s the right word) that is causing the delay. Actually, it was pretty smart on their part. UNC will have a decent team this year. These new self reported findings will most likely enable the basketball team to complete the year as they get sorted out. If I were a betting man, I’d say the UNC punishment will be handed down after the season.

11. DEPUTY323
    12:27 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

“The Captain must go down with the ship”

12. Kytenorman
    12:28 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

If no one else isn’t going to do anything about this sad human being. Shouldn’t we take down his banner from Rupp? Replace it with CALAPARI. Pitino is a disgrace! Someone should take a stand that his behavior is not acceptable!

13. Richard Pitino
    12:29 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Dad is going to keep coaching until he can name me as his designated successor, ala Eddie Sutton / Sean Sutton and Bob Knight / Pat Knight.

14. Mark
    12:29 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

So embarrassing UofL with a second sex scandal isn’t letting them down? Sounds good Rick.

15. Mc
    12:32 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

It’s going to be interesting seeing how creative opposing school’s student sections can get with this.

16. Rick Pitino
    12:32 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

What I meant to say was, “I will not abort you”

• DREWBLUE
      12:39 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

But I will foot the bill.

17. Rambo
    12:49 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

These last 2 post are perfect for Nuts Day!

18. Mike
    12:53 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Interesting to me is the ring he chooses to wear on the ring finger of his left hand … Nitpicking, I suppose, but interesting just the same.

• Katina Powell
      1:05 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah. That hurt when he lobster-clawed a couple of us.

19. ok-cats-computer
    12:55 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

So he isn’t fighting the “accusations” because he has grown wise in of age and wants to be the bigger person? Sure thing Rick. The vast majority of the “accusations” have been investigated and verified as the truth by ESPN. Louisville would fight this vehemently if it wasn’t the truth.

20. BigO
    12:59 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

The longer he stays the worse it if for UL. Every game he will take what already is a horrific scandal for that program and multiply the scrutiny and attention exponentially. RP’s ego is taking a beating here….left Boston in shambles and now is doing the same at UL. The Boy Baron and Camelot image has long faded.

It is too bad for RP because he did some great things in Lexington that will now forever be tarnished because of his tenure at UL.

• Blue Mist
      1:39 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

^Yeah, that old ego demon just want let go of him, even in his so called mellow years.

21. Dreams Come True
    1:06 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Louisville has to have the most embarrassing, most pathetic, athletic department in all of college sports. Just when you think it can’t get any worse, someone else opens their mouth. This goes for the players, fans, coaches, parents, you name it. They all are embarrassing themselves each time their mouth opens. PATHETIC. No penalty will be too harsh for them, they deserve all of whatever they get. Sad Sad Sad

22. John The Revelator
    1:31 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

The way Slick Rick is acting right now, while throwing around
    the Pope and referring to Christian Bible verses, is why people
    the world over (most famously Martin Luther,) hate Catholicism.

He has no capacity for true remorse, yet wants to force other
    people to “forgive” him and “forgive” those who have done
    wrong. Just because someone is “forgiven” that doesn’t release
    them from paying their debt to society for their actions.

Everything this man touches turns to scum. You think the
    dorms at UL are bad. You should see what goes on at the
    “Pitino Shelter” for homeless women, in Owensboro.
    U N R E A L.

23. Old Ball Coach
    1:33 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Please don’t silence the Old Ball Coach again. You can’t spell Citrus Bowl without UL!

24. UKinIN
    1:41 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

When Pitino says “[I will not] … let you down.” is he talking to the joke writers that will mine this field for years?

25. ClutchCargo
    1:42 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Translation: Dammit, I can’t believe we’re in the news again for something embarrassing! Resigning and going to live in a cabin the wilderness in Idaho sounds really good about now, but I’m going to stick it out and make them fire me. I’m old and washed up, so what do I have to lose? Who knows, maybe if they fire me they’ll have to buy out a good chunk of my contract, and it would be crazy to throw that away. I’m not going to fight these accusations and look even more stupid, so we are going to circle the wagons, keep our mouths shut, pay off Andre and hope he doesn’t sell us out.

Go Me! I mean, Go Cods!

26. Don
    1:43 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

What a total POS. Fiff-Tino…. you have already let UL fans down with your inability to control your own libido. Do everybody a favor and leave Louisville so us UK fans in Louisville don’t have to hear your constant lies. UL fans don’t seem to care about integrity or honesty as long as you win ball games so you do seem to have found a home in Louisville. Louisville hired a football coach that no other program in the entire country would touch due to his sexual escapades. UK fans demanded Gillespie be fired and what he did was pale in comparison with Pitino or Petrino. Tom Jurrich is no better for allowing this culture to grow under these two wonderful coaches. Many people have known for a long time about the sleezy culture at UL but feared retribution if they said anything. Although I do enjoy beating you more than just about any other team in the country ….. it’s past time to go.

• Not so fast
      3:04 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Hang on a minute. Why in the world should we want this investigation to go fast or Pitino to leave? I’d prefer to drag them through the mud for a couple years and then take their banners down and Pitino to stay 10 more years. He will NEVER beat us again and we will make fun of them forever. Pitin leaving is the last thing I want.

27. TSmithPage
    1:45 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s going to be very difficult for Louisville to remain relevant on the national stage, especially in the ACC, if Pitino resigns now. They’d have a tough time finding a prominent coach to come here with sanctions looming, recruiting would tank and the losses would mount. I think they’d quickly join their brethren in Bloomington, Indiana in obscurity. So, I don’t blame either Pitino or UL fans for attempting to weather the storm and stay the course at this point. It seems pretty much undisputed that the prostitution allegations are true, but it’ll take some time for the NCAA or University to determine whether school money was used in paying for the services rendered, which will affect the severity of the punishment. Even Eddie Sutton limped on for a year after the envelope popped open. I suspect Pitino will play out the upcoming season and then start transitioning towards retirement with an eye towards Richard replacing him as head coach if he can manage it. Whether the University and AD allow his exit plan remains to be seen.

28. GatorCat
    1:48 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Why would he resign? Would Ramsey, the hand-picked trustees (looking at you, Gov. B.) or Jurich demand it? Of course not. Would the UL fans? Of course not. Would Rick just suddenly decide to swallow his ego and do the right thing? Heavens, no! The press have no say. The NCAA can’t force him out (UL ignores show cause anyway to keep mouths shut). Bottom line, Rick is here to stay………and I think that is right where UK fans should want him.

And for all this crap about coaches being like CEO’s and not able to know everything…….college b-ball is certainly big business, but running a team is a small operation. If your $5M per year job is on the line, a smart man would make sure there were truly trustworthy people (not Rick’s poop-scooping handlers) watching his assets (players) like a hawk.

29. Eddie Sutton
    1:48 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I also said I would never resign.

• Sean Sutton
      3:39 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, but dad, you played for a school and a fan based that rejected Petrino, and a long list of players that could only go to UL. While they are not a first class place, they do serve a purpose. The school of 3rd and 4th chances. The rapists, drug pushers, illiterate scum of the world have to have somewhere to call home. I love little brother, but dad, at some point he HAS TO grow up!

30. KevinM
    1:56 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I hope he stays, because we have been benefitting from his escapades.

Do you really want some ‘outsider’ coming in and cleaning up that ineptness?

He gets paid either way, so let him work for it instead of a big direct deposit to his bank in Miami.

31. Just Say'n
    2:00 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Man he does look like a vampire.

• BDP
      3:41 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

If he looks like a vampire, sounds like a vampire, acts like a vampire, he IS a vampire……

32. Lynda
    2:18 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Notice how many “I”‘s in his post? What an egomaniac!! P1P4 Pitino First, Pitino Forever.

33. yeah
    2:21 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

As a parent I cannot see how you could let your child go there now. If a university employee bought a prostitute for my high school son I would sue that sleazy place to hell and back. (Although at UL it is probably disclosed in the fine print).

34. HadtoHaveKnown
    2:38 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Did Pitino never have a staff meeting?? Did he never talk to McGee about work? Staff meeting: Andre, what do you have to report this week? Nothing? C’mon.

So with all of the parties and money, no one knew anything except McGee? Makes no sense, but that is what UL is going to say…that McGee was a rogue staff member acting completely on his own with his own money. The McGee character assassination as lone wrongdoer will begin soon.

• BDP
      3:42 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Yes, but what some call staff meetings, others call adult entertainment!

35. BigBlueComingAtYou
    4:07 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Pitino knows that if he steps down, he won’t find another job making the same kind of money. Might as well get fired if that is what will happen and i don’t think that will happen either because UL is a win at all costs school. They run the most immoral athletic department that supports this type of behavior. Crap hasn’t even fully hit the fan yet because we have yet to learn where the banded stacks of money came from that Magee was able to get late at night. When that comes to light, UL basketball will be done for quite some time.

36. Suffering Fools
    4:27 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Nice picture. “Cal has beaten me THIS many times!”

37. Enquiring Minds
    4:33 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Is there any chance that the money trail leads to one PAPA JOHN SCHNATTER?

• Ann Chovee
      5:10 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Pehaps! Perhaps.

38. snarkster
    4:48 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Translation: I’m gonna stick around and let you down time after time, after time…instead.

39. Rixter
    6:17 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Even the most delusional U of L fan wouldn’t say that Pitino staying is what’s best for the school. This is what is best for Rick Pitino, plain and simple.

R1P4!!!

40. Catsrus
    6:29 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

The Yum Center is aptly named for the big bucks. Also, yummy BB dorm.

41. Dwane
    8:26 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Hey TT — I bet you were a big RP fan when he was running the show at UK. Obviously you are still not over him leaving BBN. Hell hath no fury….

• Ha!
      8:32 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, and you hated RP at UK before he came to your school… whats your point?

Oh, and hookers. 😉 This shit is hilarious….

#LittleBrothel

• Dwanes mama
      10:31 pm October 22, 2015 Permalink

I told you boy BBN really appreciates little Ricky 3 stacks.
      First he resurrected the cats program and now he is murdering ul program
      L1C4nicate

42. Catsrus
    12:21 am October 23, 2015 Permalink

UofEllers this is your time in the barrel. When I recall the taunts and snide remarks about the UK program since the internet, it seems seems like justice. Just like the IU people used to taunt us and then came Kelvin Sampson, UNC and now Louisville. UCLA taunted until Jim Harrick, Kansas never did because Larry Brown came around early on. Duke when will their turn come?