Pitino doesn’t deny allegations in another bizarre interview

Rick Pitino taped an interview with John Ramsey and Mike Rutherford this afternoon, and well, it was bizarre. Once again, Pitino didn’t come out and deny any of the allegations surrounding his program, insisting that the only person who knows for sure what happened is Andre McGee, and he’s not talking.

“None of us — right now — can see any reference to what was written because only Andre McGee knows those questions right now, and obviously he hasn’t talked,” Pitino said.

When discussing how the alleged activities could have taken place for four years and the coaches not known about it, Pitino oddly brought up Roy Williams.

“Think about this. I’m a big Roy Williams fan. I know Roy Williams. He has never cheated in the game since he’s been a coach. You mean to tell me that for 20 years, 2-3,000 students went by and not one student after they took the course wrote in to the university anonymously saying ‘this was a bogus course’? So if something goes on for 20 years and nobody finds out, if there’s something wrong here — which we don’t know — then that doesn’t necessarily mean that nobody knows or doesn’t know. Until you investigate everything that’s said, you don’t have the answers to things. And I certainly don’t have any answers right now to any of this. I have no knowledge of what went on, what didn’t go on, if anything went on.”

Huh? After comparing himself to Roy Williams — I think — he compared himself to the Pope:

“You know what I love about the Pope? The Pope is probably the most popular in some time because when they ask him about things, whatever it may be, he said ‘I’m spreading our doctrine, but I’m going to let God judge. I’m not the judge. I’m going to let God judge.’ And that’s the way I feel about this tough game of life. I’m going to let God judge my integrity.”

From there, Pitino talked about how upsetting it was that all of these things allegedly went down in the dorm named after his brother-in-law, who died on 9/11.

“When I heard all of this and it took — it allegedly took place in the dorm I named after him, quite honestly guys, I cried myself to sleep that night hoping that it wasn’t true because it was Minardi Hall. It still bothers me. I have not slept because the allegations are it took place in Billy Minardi Hall. That’s really a knife in my heart.”

Next, Pitino brought up the “Kentucky’s Shame” Sports Illustrated cover as proof he can keep his program successful amidst scandal:

“Many, many years ago when I took over at Kentucky, there was a little boy on a cover called, and the cover read, I remember it cause I had it hanging in my basement, and the little boy and it said something like, um, Kentucky Shame. That was the title: Kentucky Shame. And I went in there and said, you know what? I didn’t focus on the shame part, I focused on the solution to the problem. Two years later, we had the largest crowd ever, we were on two years without television and Jamal Mashburn chooses the University of Louisville (sic),” Pitino said, obviously misspeaking.

“No NCAA, no television, the first year we had record crowds and we had the largest crowds in the history of Rupp, and then the second year we win the conference and it’s turned around. We found the solution to the problem. I didn’t dwell on whatever went on, I didn’t want to know the problems. Right now, we’ve got to find the solutions to what’s true and what’s now true. Right now there’s only one person who knows the answers and he’s not talking.”

I’ll give Pitino this: he repeatedly said that if it comes out that the allegations are true, he and his program will own up to it. In listening to this interview, he sounds more convinced than ever that’s the case.

65 Comments for Pitino doesn’t deny allegations in another bizarre interview

1. Rajonrondo9
    4:04 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Wth is he talking about? He’s all over the place.

• BigBlueSkyDog
      4:41 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Spin, spin, spin. Rinse and repeat. He’s learned well from all those liberal politicians he admires.

• 'Ole Roy '
      6:50 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Looks to me like those daggum Pecker Heads at Louisville , no pun intended, have got themselves a full blown “HO GATE.”

First daggum class in African American Studies at UNC teaches Student Athletes to never get involved with a daggum HO.

And people said African American Studies classes were a daggum sham. Now the value of those daggum classes is clear. No daggum “HO GATE” under ‘Ole Roy’s’ watch!!!

2. BlueBloodtoo
    4:07 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

This sounds like a bunch PBS (political Bull Sh*T). Pitino is trying soften public perception and isolate himself from the issue. Blah, blah, blah

3. Z-Rex
    4:17 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

It was “Kentucky’s Shame”, and it wasn’t a little boy – it was a Richie Farmer look-a-like. Just for clarification.

4. UK
    4:17 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

This was nothing more than a PR move by UL why else would it be a recorded interview. I’m betting Jurich wrote out the questions for Ramsey. I’m surprised Ramsey was so understandable with Pitino’s d… in his mouth.

5. BenHur
    4:17 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

“The only person who knows anything sure as hell isn’t me. I’m out trying to hook up with milfs instead of keeping a watchful and mentoring eye on the players like I promised their parents.”

6. Joe Kyle
    4:18 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

When he took over at Kentucky, what went on was not on his watch. At Louisville, any problems he is so sure he will find the solution to, took place on his watch. Surely as smart as Rick Pitino is he can see the difference?

7. somerset bill
    4:24 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

it’s really not too hard to imagine rick getting his own “louisville’s shame” sports illustrated cover.

• Han
      4:30 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

You wonder if he realizes he’s Sutton in the comparison, not Rick Pitino, savior of UK.

8. AlinIndy
    4:24 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

I stopped it at the 42 second mark when he said the one thing you’ll get from me is the truth…….
    There’s a lie right there!

9. PalmettoCar
    4:25 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

As much as it is amusing to watch UL dance, I don’t take a lot of joy in this whole thing. Putting the rivalry aside for the moment this is just crazy and I hope the program there finds a way through it. I like beating a capable UL team, not a team full of also rans because the program has been decimated. If this is all true (as it seems to be) I know they will have done it to themselves, but it’s not something I am celebrating.

• Dude
      4:29 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

We’ve done just fine without Indiana… we’ll be fine without U of What the L as well.

• BlueBloodtoo
      5:58 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

I would have to agree with this. As much as UL is a rival, it’s more like the rival that just can’t ever get things right. You want to hate them, but you just can’t help feeling sorry for their stupidity.

• ukjaybrat
      7:36 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

i’m willing to bet you don’t live in louisville… most UK fans in Louisville that I know want that program to burn to the ground. not just because we hate that program but because the people that run that program deserve it. from the president, to jurich, to petino and petrino (who is awfully quiet during all this btw), and even the women’s basketball coach who all of a sudden is pulling in #1 recruiting rankings which in typically OWNED by notre dame, uconn, and stanford. seems fishy to me.

10. Blake Hendrickson
    4:26 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

I can tell KSR isn’t going to give this one a rest. I’m as big of a Cats fan as anybody, but damn if I were another school I’d absolutely hate us. Our fans are borderline annoying. I mean we’ve already touched on the issue, let’s let louisville work out their own problems instead of hoping all these allegations are true. I mean I want to beat louisville in everything too, but the rivalry aspect is just for fun and being competitive at the end of the day. Everyone is human and makes mistakes. And it’s not like louisville dominates us in any aspect so why should we care so much? I just think KSR writers take their “fan-boying” for kentucky a little too far. You all act like dweebs over freshman kids in college who play basketball. Yes, we’re kentucky and it’s different, but c’mon.

• Ha!
      4:31 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

U mad, bro? 😉

Send Jurich & Co. a Hallmark card if it makes you feel better, but save it on us, K?

• RICK
      4:32 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Hell no don’t give it a rest, maybe you should stop reading for a while if it upsets you. I love it and hope they get nailed.

• Han
      4:33 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Maybe you need to see how many threads show up on Louisville boards about our players, like how sure they are Skal was bought and will be ineligible.

This is a big story about our in-state rival with our former coach and a title a year more recent than ours. It is a story, whether you want it to be or not. Likewise, the UNC story was and is big because of how big it was and the fact that they are a rival in the sense of being another elite blue blood team.

This is sports fandom, you know. We root for our team and we show interest in the game outside of the confines of Rupp. If all you care about is the game itself, stop coming onto blogs and messageboards.

• BigRush
      4:38 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

You don’t live in Louisville… CLEARLY. Borderline annoying? Try going to a public place in the city of Louisville and watching a UK event. Then tell me about annoying.

• BigBlueSkyDog
      4:43 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Did Jurich promise you a Subway sandwich for that screed?

• Rajonrondo9
      4:48 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

A-to the freakin- men Bigrush. Living in Louisville is unbearable when trying to watch a UK game out in public. You don’t even have to say anything and UL fans start stuff. Hate us cus’ they ain’t us

• Blake Hendrickson
      6:30 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

You all are clueless. Some of my best friends are Louisville fans and live downtown on 2nd street. We like to trash talk but you idiots on here have nothing better to do in life than to wish bad things upon people. Its just college sports. Rick won a freaking championship here in 1996 while I was a kid AND LIVING IN LEXINGTON off Man O’ War on McCurdy Court. Some of the best memories i ever had with Kentucky basketball and meeting the players at the airport when they arrived home. Quit taking it so damn serious. If you all hate Rick so much, go rip that banner hanging down in rupp arena and burn it.

• tommycatsfan
      6:39 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

If you have UL fans, then you know 5 minutes into any sports conversation they start telling you UK and
      Cal are headed to probation, put the title flag up with Velcro, etc….
      That’s what so rich about this to me and I hope UL dies a slow and painful death. I’ll be savoring every minute!!!! I’m small minded like that.

• Bourbon Breath
      6:45 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Blake Hendrickson: guy who likes to argue with those he thinks are clueless. Makes sense.

• res ipsa
      10:13 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Borderline?

• catfanmike
      10:51 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

All I want is the truth. If they broke rules and had kids under 18 at these parties, then everyone involved should face the consequences. I absolutely don’t want them(or us) getting away with anything for the sake of the rivalry or saving the skin off anyone’s ass. There has to be lines drawn…you just don’t get away with this kind of shit.

• ukjaybrat
      7:40 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

“you idiots on here have nothing better to do in life than to wish bad things upon people.”

Not one person has wished a bad thing on any ‘person’ … we just want to see the louisville athletic program get what they deserve

11. theSkinny81
    4:26 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Here’s the grim reality all Louisville fans need to come to terms with:

At this point, it’s pretty apparent that something happened.

If it did happen, and he knew about it, how do you send your child to a program like that?

If it happened, but he wasn’t aware of it, how can you trust him to protect your child from things like this?

What top-tier recruit wants to associate with that?

Basically, you’re screwed, Louisville. Pun intended. Your program is about to hit an all-time low. You just better hope the NCAA doesn’t come down too hard on you.

I’d hate to see one of your precious title banners, especially one that took you 26 years to get, come down. 😉

12. Han
    4:29 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Once again, sounds like UL’s legal people have told him there’s at least a kernel of truth, so he’s just playing up the honorable victim side of it. Putting everything at the feet of one guy. Of course, comparing it to UNC, where they continue to deny everything and blamed it all on one or two people, is still a bit odd. Suggests he thinks both cases are true, and maybe he’s hoping if they’re honest about it, they’ll be treated at least as well as UNC has been so far.

• L1C whore
      9:08 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Tommy, don’t forget the former Ms. Kentucky Softball player that was kicked off Tennessee ‘s Softball team for beating up her boyfriend with a bat ended up transferring to ULoL as well. It’s not just revenue sports. They will take any piece of sh!t as long as they can win .

• ukjaybrat
      7:43 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

when i read that just now, i thought you meant Miss Kentucky the volleyball player and thought “Damn she’s too small to beat up a dude. must have been a tiny dude.” lol

13. RICK
    4:29 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Good bye Rick and Tom , can’t say it’s been fun.

• Han
      4:35 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

How uncomfortable would Bobby P feel if that happened, eh?

• ukjaybrat
      7:44 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

He’d be fine. as long as the president is still there, he’ll get another jurich and bobby p will continue his sickening recruiting ways… and whatever else he does when the cameras aren’t on

14. timer
    4:40 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

For those talking about how this hurts the rivalry….I believe that UL’s basketball program will be improved after Petino leaves. If one shred of this story turns out to be true, I can’t believe that those who truly care about UL will allow him to stay.

• tommycatsfan
      6:51 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Dude: believe it. This is same UL administration that was “1 million percent behind” Pitino when the humiliating Sypher debacle was revealed.Same school that hired scumbag Petrino, a guy who begged for UK job and didn’t get an interview. UL hired him. Same UL that takes in every gun toting rapist football player who gets kicked out of reputable schools, all in the name of a “W”. Pitino could get caught having sex with Jurige’ s wife on mid court during half time and he would get a raise. These are my opinions..

15. BigBlueComingAtYou
    4:57 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

That’s twice now Pitino has mentioned Kentucky in his interview about the UL scandal. He needs to leave us out of it and quit trying to deflect. He just needs to own up to it because he sounds like a man that knows he’s been caught but is not saying one way or the other until there is definitive proof that points to him. That criminal college is getting everything it deserves. They have operated in the most morally corrupt fashion you could image paying for mother pimp and her underage hoes. UL not only broke NCAA rules but THE LAW! They will try to pin this all on Magee but in the end all the facts will come out in the criminal investigation and there will be no hiding from that. UL basketball is done!

• ukjaybrat
      7:46 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

even if they DO pin it on magee, he was an employee for most of the period this happened. so UL will STILL get in trouble whether he was acting alone or not

16. Big Mike In the Wood
    5:17 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Well he certainly put it all on Andre McDeadmanwalking enough in that interview!

17. Patrick_Wren
    5:25 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Always have a “fall guy” in your back pocket!

18. Pop
    5:29 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

The best part of the interview, was afterwards, one of the shows host commended Pitino on his “integrity”..

• Ann Noid
      6:11 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Ramsey and Rutherford are known Cardinal 3rd leg slurpers.

In a way, similar to Forde, for the Card program, they do exactly what Katina Powell did.

They are HOs – media HOs exemplar – for Rick Pitino, Bobby Petrino, and Tom Jurich.

• ukjaybrat
      7:47 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

anyone with a show on 93.9 Da ‘Ville are vetted to be in Jurich’s back pocket

19. THE MAN
    5:41 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Did I actually hear Ramsey say unblemished NCAA record. I bet the University of Hawaii might disagree!!

• Han
      5:58 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Also, 20 years ago every Louisville fan knew Slick Rick was the biggest cheater in history. They all thanked God that Louisville recruited and played the game the right way. Like UNC fans the last 30 years.

20. Auntie Em Effer
    6:05 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

What a crock of Bull Sheet.

I am sure Billy Minardi, had he been alive, would have felt a knife in his heart at learning Ptino having cheated on his sister (15 seconds, or 15 times, he is a cheater and dogged his wife and the memory of his brother-in-law).

• catfanmike
      10:57 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

ouch!!!

21. Sarah White
    6:21 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

How in the world did he get by with naming the hall Minardi Hall after his brother-in-law. He must have given a lot of money toward it.

22. Air Raid
    7:07 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

I graduated from UK law school in 2002. I hate uofl with all my being. But he cannot deny anything at this point. It is amazing that so called intelligent people don’t understand this.

• ukjaybrat
      7:49 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

you can be both intelligent and not know much about PR…. you can also be intelligent and an asshole… guess which one you are

23. Txt
    7:15 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Regardless how this turns out with the NCAA investigation can’t the state legislature step in and clean house. This is a public institution that represents the people of our state. I know we give the UofL fans hell, but most truly are good people that deserve a whole lot better than this mess.

• Gaylord Focker
      7:55 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

24. Scott Moore
    7:53 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

So let me get this straight…screwing around on Minardi’s sister didn’t affect you, but
    shenanigans in a building named after him makes you weep like a baby?

25. harry
    8:02 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Its hard being a PIMP with all these haters around.

26. JD
    8:45 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

A quote from my wife, “you know in the last stages of syphilis can cause dementia.”

27. Dennis
    9:30 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

That was one of the most bizarre, incoherent and just plain insane group of responses I think I’ve ever heard. Not too mention he’s a man whore.

28. nolly
    9:53 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

I am a KENTUCKY fan first, but Louisville is also a Kentucky team, and it makes me sick to see other Kentuckians beating up on Cardinals and their Athletic Dept. In all the previous opinions I never saw one good word about Louisville and the accuations that have not been proven or unproven.

• Ha!
      9:59 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

You’re on your own on this…. send UL Athletics a get well soon card if it’ll make you feel better.

• ukjaybrat
      7:52 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

go have a cup of tea with a UK fan that lives in louisville (you clearly are not one) and we can explain to you why this is so much fun

29. Rw65
    10:26 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

He is the smartest guy in the room ……in his own mind

30. Katina powell
    10:35 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

The pics and text messages I didn’t put in book

31. Kixyour
    10:44 pm October 6, 2015 Permalink

Sloppy 2nd chance U

32. CA
    8:33 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

I feel sorry for the good UL fans (many of which we have). The ones I don’t feel sorry for is Tom Jurich, Rick Pitino, and President Ramsey. They have allowed these things to go on for many, many years. My brother (who passed away in 1988) used to play pick-up basketball with LaBradford Smith and other UL players. He told me a lot of things that were going on back then. With all the issues with Petrino and Pitino, it is time that they have to ‘pay the pipe’. I don’t feel sorry for them.

33. RedPerspective
    8:47 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

I am a Louisville fan, but know I come in peace.

For the first time in my life, I am siding with you all. I started defending all this in similar fashion to my fellow fans, but then I realized something… It goes much deeper than just this episode. In the grand scheme of things, I am getting sick and tired of having to defend this kind of crap EVERY SINGLE YEAR. True or not, I want to take a flamethrower to the team, burn it to the ground, get rid of all the coaches (with exception to Kenny Johnson), and start anew. Though it would suck and we would enter into a period of rebuilding, I would rather rest the integrity of the program on a proven winner that does things the right way. If that means not being competitive for the next 5-10 years, so be it. Like I said, I love Louisville. I gave that school a lot of money; I got my degree from there… But this has got to give. All the basketball incidents… Then we bring Bobby back into the fold? Why!?!?! I know you all hate Louisville, but believe me, there are A TON of fans that see things from the same perspective as I do.