Pick your starting lineup for next season

deaaron-fox

With Marques Bolden out of the picture, it’s time to start thinking about next year’s lineup. With Isaiah Briscoe and Marcus Lee still making their NBA decisions, the roster isn’t totally finalized, but that won’t stop us from having a little fun on a Friday morning.

Use KSR’s fancy power ranker to pick your starting five below:

45 Comments for Pick your starting lineup for next season

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:11 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Fox, Monk, Wenyen, Willis, BAM
    (if Lee and Briscoe return it will be different.)

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:12 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

If only it were Towns (Jr), Randle (Sr), Booker (Jr), Murray (So), and Ulis (Jr)…

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Same. Briscoe probably starts over Willis if he is back.

2. ukjaybrat
    10:21 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

fox, briscoe, willis, wg, and bam

• sa_hunt
      11:45 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

no Monk hahahahahahaha

3. Sentient Third Eye
    10:28 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Jonny David is polling higher than Dom. Show the Hawk some love, people!

4. Mc12
    10:29 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Fox, Monk, Briscoe, WG, and Bam. I know WG will get a lot of run on the wing too, but with his defense and rebounding he can play the 4.

Off the bench Willis (3/4), SKJ (4), Humphries(5), and Hawkins(1/2), but can see Monk and Briscoe getting back-up PG minutes too and Hawkins getting minimal minutes allowing Cal to stick to an 8 man rotation. I actually think Monk is a better PG than Frank Jackson.

I prefer another consistent shooter in Willis but sometimes Cal leans more towards defense.

W/O Briscoe (and even if Lee returns)-Fox, Monk, WG, Willis, Bam

5. smahurin
    10:47 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Fox monk Briscoe wenyen and bam. I see a lot of people think Willis will start and I’m sure he’ll play significant minutes. But cal has repeatedly shown that he values defensively versatility so I think wenyen will get the starting nod. I think the others are easy though if Briscoe leaves that opens up a different discussion.

6. MikeCaseyunderappreciated
    10:47 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Another ‘donut’ year with a big hole in the middle.

7. Musehobo
    10:47 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Fox, Briscoe, Monk, Willis, Adebayo

• Kyblue34
      2:22 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

I agree with this 100%. Willis should start and play major minutes for his 3-point shooting if nothing else, as without him I could see us struggling to score at times. Monk is really our only other outside shooter. But knowing Cal, he will probably start Gabriel for defense.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      8:36 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Kyblue34 – You have no clue about Wenyen. Go watch at least one video. Seriously.

Monk fits the 2 in college and pro… as Briscoe can handle 1, 2, or 3 in college.

8. Howdy Doody
    10:53 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

What happened to Football Season…….oh, yeah…..never mind…

• Booby Petrino
      1:13 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

go ahead and pick the starting lineup for football if you want. It will probably take more time than the basketball lineup. Then go back to Card Chronicle, where you definitely don’t want to talk about basketball. #squirt #totheceiling #L1C8

• Blueblueblueblue
      5:05 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

The fact that you guys never even talk about football is one of the big reasons you’ll never be relevant in football. UofL is good at both with occasional flashes of greatness. I’d trade that for being great (I’m giving you that, but I’m not sure I’d call what you’re doing in b-ball great) at basketball anytime.

9. Broski
    11:01 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

I’ve got Fox, Monk, Wenyen, Willis, Bam. Wenyen seems like the most exciting prospect based on penitential. Has a KD type game when he’s playing at his best (obviously I haven’t seen much of him, so there’s a lot of speculation). But I really want to see Wenyen take a big step, because having a guy like that at the 3 is a game changer in the college game.

10. a21CATSfan
    11:21 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

I ranked the best 5 players in order: Monk, Adebayo, Fox, Gabriel and Briscoe. Top 4 are somewhat interchangeable. Willis could slide to 5 for Briscoe depending whether Cal wants offense or defense. With the other 4 being tremendous defenders I would prefer Willis to start over Briscoe at the “3.” But I doubt Isaiah will come back to come off the bench.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:29 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

From everything I have read and seen I really think Wenyen will play the 3. That was a big draw for him to come to UK.

11. Bluebloodtoo
    11:35 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Obviously I’m not in the majority here, but I’m feeling like Tai Wynyrd is going to have a bigger impact than most people think. I’m also very curious to see how Derek Willis fits into this team. It seemed to take him a while to fit into this constantly revolving team over the last two years. I’m hoping he jumps right into this group and fits in well.

• UKALLDAY1
      12:20 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Wynyrd is a below the rim player. I don’t think those kinds of players fit into Cal’s system because shot blocking, fast breaks and especially the lob dunk is such a fixture in his game plan. The Dakari’s, Kyle Wiltjers, Humphries and Wynyrds of the world don’t always fit. I hope I’m wrong though

• UKALLDAY1
      12:21 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Below the rim big man***

12. KC1
    11:54 am May 20, 2016 Permalink

Want the Mcdonald’s All American Jersey he’s wearing in the pic? Get it here

13. Cats4lyfe
    12:23 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Jarrett Allen has not signed a National Letter of Intent. Even though Kentucky has been cut from his list, I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

• Kyblueblood
      12:29 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Dude 100% give up on Allen. Not going to happen. Not going to pull a Texas recruit whose committed to Texas at the last minute.

14. GroundControlToNumber9
    12:38 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Anyone here should know (from watching Cal’s lineup rotations) that the starting lineup doesn’t matter at anytime during the season except once you get into the NCAA Tournament (as he rarely changes it up then unless there is injury or a significant matchup advantage/weakness).

Primary Position – For Depth View
    PG: (1) De’Aaron Fox   (2) Dominique Hawkins
    SG: (1) Malik Monk   (2) Mychal Mulder
    SF: (1) Isaiah Briscoe   (2) Derek Willis
    PF: (1) Bam Adebayo   (2) Sacha Killeya-Jones
    C: (1) Wenyen Gabriel   (2) Isaac Humphries   (3) Tai Wynyard

GPA Crew: Brad Calipari, Jonny David, Dillon Pulliam, EJ Floreal
    Lost Between a Dream & Reality: Marcus Lee

Even though we could play Isaiah at the 1 or the 3 I laid it out this way as ‘primary’ position.

We really need Isaiah to come back… like really need him. He fills the 3 and gives us experience depth on the court.

Below is flex position… which open the door for varying sized lineups (small big) where players are placed based on potential options to reveal chemistry through a divergent review with the goal of the ‘magic lineup’:
    Flex Positions – For Adaptability View
    PG: De’Aaron Fox   Isaiah Briscoe     Malik Monk   Dominique Hawkins   Mychal Mulder
    SG: Malik Monk   De’Aaron Fox   Isaiah Briscoe   Dominique Hawkins   Mychal Mulder
    SF: Isaiah Briscoe   Malik Monk   Derek Willis   Sacha Killeya-Jones
    PF: Bam Adebayo   Sacha Killeya-Jones   Derek Willis   Wenyen Gabriel
    C: Wenyen Gabriel   Bam Adebayo   Isaac Humphries   Tai Wynyard

An example of this (not as a starting lineup… but as a situational lineup):
    PG: Dominique Hawkins
    SG: Malik Monk
    SF: De’Aaron Fox
    PF: Derek Willis
    C: Wenyen Gabriel
    1. extremely fast run and gun lineup
    2. smother teams with hybrid presses with length & speed
    3. deadly 3 pt shooters at the 1, 2, 3, & 4

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      1:30 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Wenyen Gabriel will not play center. The rest of your post seems well thought out…but that just won’t happen.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      1:51 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

To Watchutalkinbout: The 4 and 5 positions are interchangeable in Cal’s offense. Gabriel will for sure play the 5 spot this season. A lot. Not to mention he’s the 3rd tallest player on the team. Gabriel, Bam, Killeya, and Willis will all be in the rotation for the 4 & 5 spots this year.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      2:01 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

I disagree with you unless major injuries occur. I may be wrong, but I don’t think I am. I think Gabriel will play the 3 and sometimes the 4. Other than the rare occasion I do not think he will play the 5 as this is not the type of player he seems to want to be. I certainly do not see him starting at the 5 as the comment suggests. Feel free to save this and use it against me later if it turns out I’m wrong. I’m man enough to admit when I am. I just read up on Wenyen a lot because he is the player that fascinates me the most on this team.

• @GoCayts
      2:32 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

In the lineup discussed where you have Bam and WG and then 3 guards … WG would not be the guy playing center … even though he’s taller. That’s just not his game. That’s like looking at Willis and Lee and saying they’re the same player because they’re both 6’9″. With that being said, if Lee doesn’t come back and Bam were in foul trouble and we ended up with your WG, Willis + 3 guard lineup, I guess he would kinda be playing center and I could almost see that happening.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      2:54 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

WatchutalkinboutWillis – In Cal’s traditional lineups you may be right.

I think more and more though that Cal is learning to simply put the best 5 guys on the court.

If anything, the 4 & 5 would switch (Bam as 5 & Gabriel as 4).

15. GroundControlToNumber9
    1:08 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Checked some more video of Wenyen Gabriel and it’s clear he could flex the 3, 4, or 5. Matchup problems might exist if a 5 is the size of Karl Towns but that’s more rare than not.

Maybe Isaiah knows Wenyen wants to be the 3… in my mind it would be hard to put Isaiah in the starting spot in front of Wenyen (at least on paper).

If Isaiah would just be consistent with his jumper and improve his free throw percentage to above 70% then he’d give De’Aaron a run at PG.

There’s so much to learn about these kids. Can’t wait! Go Big Blue!

16. Sublem
    1:33 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

G:Briscoe
    G:Monk
    G:Fox
    F:Bam
    F:Gabriel

• Sublem
      1:35 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Actually, it will be Gabriel/Jones. Those two may even break even and share similar minutes.

17. jayiron11
    2:24 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

PG – Fox
    G – Monk
    G – Briscoe
    F – Bam
    F/C – Humphries
    Thats the starting
    line up if Briscoe comes back, if not then I think either Willis or Gabriel at the 3. Mark it down though, Humphries will start at the 5/Center slot. I believe Cal will play Bam a lot at the 5 slot and use Gabiel and Willis a lot as a stretch 4. People are forgetting about Humphries and also forgetting that he was inly 17 last year. 1 year in the system will make him an even greater player.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      2:42 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

I’m a believer in Humphries as well. Not sure if he will start but I hope he gets plenty of opportunity to show his ability.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      4:41 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Gabriel is too good to not have on the court. Your post reflects that you just haven’t watched enough of video of him.

Wenyen Gabriel is the real deal… he’s the 2016-2017 version of Brandon Ingram. Has the potential to even be better as he looks a bit stronger coming into the summer of his Freshman season (than did Ingram). Remember Ingram is the #1 or #2 pick in the draft.

18. Piedma Schwartz
    2:54 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

1 Calipari
    2. David
    3. Willis
    4. Wynyard
    5. Humphries

6th man: Pulliam

19. Blueblueblueblue
    5:07 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Who will be the white player you guys love disproportionately compared to his production this year?

• GroundControlToNumber9
      5:53 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

Blueblueblueblue – Your on the wrong page. You need to go to http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/ for those answers.

• The Professor
      5:58 pm May 20, 2016 Permalink

There are those in the world,who gain pleasure from inciting a reaction when deriding others. Those people are almost always unsuccessful in life which is why they feel they must inflict their self loathing onto others.I actually feel sorry for these people as they can never be truly happy.