PHOTO: New Maker’s Mark bottle will honor the 1996 team

makers-96

Well here’s something awesome for your Friday. Check out this exclusive look at a label for a new Maker’s Mark bottle that will honor the 1996 National Championship team.

The label reads:

“Led by head coach Rick Pitino, the 1995-96 University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team finished with a 34-2 record. Their dominating season reached its peak when they beat the Syracuse Orangemen 76-67 to win the national championship. Known as “The Untouchables,” this UK team would eventually send nine players to the NBA and is ranked among the best college basketball teams of all time.”

This is the latest in a line of commemorative UK bottles through a partnership with Keeneland. The first two honored Adolph Rupp and Joe B. Hall and their national championship squads. The next two, to be released in 2018 and 2019, will feature UK’s 1998 and 2012 National Championship teams, and, presumably, Tubby Smith and John Calipari:

Keeneland+bottle+series

Interesting decision to not put Pitino on there. Thoughts?

15 Comments for PHOTO: New Maker’s Mark bottle will honor the 1996 team

1. IstandUPatGames
    6:19 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

Let’s see… Ole Ricky three-pump has his hands all over a stripper scandal and his DNA all over a restaurant booth, couldn’t hurt to have his face on a liquor bottle, although I think he may have signed a no compete with Crown Royal for that one.

2. Ky_Tom
    7:10 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

The only problem I see with this is…Makers Mark whiskey makers will not make enough, and those they do make, Only the people high contacts of the company will get them..The average UK fan will have to look high and low to find one,and when they do, the price will double…Its always been this way with these bottles..I’ve been looking for a Rupp 2015 bottle for a while now..Got at 5 liqueur store owners trying to get one for me……My guess is, the 1996 team bottle will be about as rare as hens teeth…..

• bemcle2
      8:43 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

I have a Rupp bottle that’s signed that I’d sell you. And I will also get one of these 96 bottles from work if you’re interested in buying.

3. dgtuk
    8:10 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

I still have one of the “original” commemorative bottles they made right after the 1996 championship. Didn’t open it for 20 years. Recently decided it was time to drink it. Still just a bit left. I was feeling a little guilty about opening it…..Maybe now I can replace it with the new one.

• catsarerunnin
      8:18 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

I have 2. Never opened.

• runningunnin.454
      9:03 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

Mine has never been opened either. Sits on shelf behind my chair with my ’96 and ’98 championship baseball caps, and also my 2012 championship coffee mug and highball glass.

• catsarerunnin
      10:44 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

Mine sit on a shelf with ’96 commemorative caps and basketball. There’s also a bottle of Mt. Dew. Pepsi was running a March Madness promotion leading up to the tourney. Under the bottle caps were names of teams. If you had a bottle cap from the winning team you would be eligible for a drawing for prizes. In those days I would go into the local grocery before work and buy a couple bottles of Mt. Dew for my workday. During the promotion I could never get a Kentucky bottle cap. But the day of the championship game I finally got one. To me it was a sign that UK would win that night. I put the lid back on the bottle and it still sits on the shelf.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

Good story; I didn’t have any doubts in ’96 or ’12.We might need some Mt.Dew luck this year.

4. monky6monk
    8:14 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

When will it be released

5. AGSlater
    9:26 pm March 3, 2017 Permalink

Heaven Hill vodka coming out with special Billy G bottles

6. nybrasky
    12:13 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

Not nearly as nice as the denim bottles they did originally. Pass.

7. plumloopy
    1:38 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

Seriously? They’ve already “honored” the 1996 team. Don’t you feel like you’re being played for a sucker after a while?

• IstandUPatGames
      7:39 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

I did in ’96! I have of the original issue of 23,000. When those went so fast, Bill Samuels got greedy and issued another 23,000 which devalued mine.

8. rem392
    2:01 am March 4, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Pitino can get his picture on a half pint of Kentucky Gentleman. I drank that in 1978. 50 cents a half pint

9. lstew7389
    1:18 pm March 4, 2017 Permalink

Where and how do I get these?

Also, if anyone has the old 96 bottle, would love to get my hands on it!

Go cats!