Photo day shows off new uniforms and that’s too much checkerboard

bam-uni

A photo of Kentucky’s new basketball uniforms hit the internets yesterday to much criticism from the fans. Everyone hoped they would look a little better when seen on one of the players, but this shot of Bam Adebayo in his uni doesn’t make them look any better.

Let’s try a video of Mychal Mulder in a photo shoot, maybe that’s better:

Nope. Still bad.

What about a group shot of the freshmen?

The freshmen look great. The checkerboard’s still a little too much. It reminds me of NASCAR.

Go Cats regardless. Basketball’s almost here!

School is in session. That's one mean lookin' backcourt.

A photo posted by CoachCal.com (@coachcaldotcom) on

Article written by Drew Franklin

40 Comments for Photo day shows off new uniforms and that’s too much checkerboard

1. 3Goggles
    2:58 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

No way Brad is 6 foot lol. Hes 6 inches shorter than Malik!

2. RealCatsFan
    2:58 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

So, for basketball recruits will we be using the hash tag #checkmate instead of #yahtzee? 😀

3. 2Dogs
    3:03 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

They need to wear checkerboard socks to complete that crappy looking ensemble.

4. afidler
    3:04 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I think the look great, don’t know why KSR needs to drive the hate for them.

5. Lori M
    3:06 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

They look like they don’t fit well around the neck and shoulders.

6. a21CATSfan
    3:06 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I thought the jerseys the past 2 years have been too plain. And now they are almost too busy. Maybe just two rows of checkers would’ve looked better than four? Maybe taking the checkers off the waste and filling in the second spaces on the sides? the pic of Bam untucked looks much better than the tucked in look. GO CATS!!!

7. HeshimuMeansWarrior
    3:09 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Who cares? They could out there wearing pink fairy wings and still make other teams look stupid. Malik and Bam are going to punish rims, who cares what they wear?

• Mathlete
      3:37 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

“And now….. the starting lineup for YOUR KENTUCKY TOOTH FAIRIES!”

8. Stu_Padaso
    3:11 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Those uniforms are not “gold standard”. Pretty atrocious if you ask me.

9. jstrunk
    3:15 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Are we sure they didn’t mix up the order with the women’s team?

10. Sentient Third Eye
    3:22 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I like the checkerboard look, though the pattern might be a little too prominent. Maybe downsize it to 80% so it doesn’t distract from the name on the front of the uni.

11. Willis talkin bout....
    3:27 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Are these set in stone? Or can they ask Nike to try again? Unless the kids really love these, please god dump all the checkers, except maybe on the waste band. Those are almost as bad as some of the ones Adidas puts out…

• Molly Ray Cypress
      3:34 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

please… it is waist not waste.

• Willis talkin bout....
      11:55 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Looks like we’ve found the next recipient for special order Bag O’ Dicks. That wouldn’t be a waist… Oops waste.

12. 54Meeks
    3:32 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

They look like a nascar flag. During a game should i cheer or yell “Rook to E5!” ?

13. Molly Ray Cypress
    3:35 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

As long as Tennessee (who thinks they invented the checkerboard) is still ticked off I am good with it!

• Mathlete
      3:40 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Agreed, plus we did checkerboard end zones first before it was cool and bailed on it when UT started doing it too. At least that’s the story I’m telling, it’s better to be hipsters than the Kentucky Copycats

• Booby Petrino
      3:46 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

sounds like you care too much about what TN thinks. also, as far as Kentucky Copycats, that’s pretty much what we are with that new UK logo and the alternate wildcat logo.

14. somerset bill
    3:39 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

i agree that the checkerboard does seem to be a little too bold at the moment, but i think its mostly just a matter of getting used to them though. a few games and they will look fine.

i expect brad to adopt an undershirt look before long, though, since that new neckline causes the front of his jersey to read “not kentucky”.

but, hey… basketball!

15. bigabes4uk
    3:39 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I don’t really care what they wear– I care about the results more than anything, but these are the worst uniforms I’ve ever seen us wear and I’ve been watching since the 70s. They are atrocious. Like you guys said— waaaayyyy too much checkerboard going on.

• Mathlete
      3:41 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Did you forget the denim one-off unis from the 90s? Thanks Converse.

• Molly Ray Cypress
      3:45 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Or those odd things with the triangles when Travis Ford played? How about the Icicle shorts? We have had much worse!

16. za
    3:52 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

If the checkerboards were solid blue, I would love these jerseys. I like the fit and the way they’re cut.

17. hal9944
    4:03 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Everyones talking about there being too much checkerboard, but what really ruins it for me, the shorts being 3-5 inches above the knee and that little missing piece of fabric at the bottom. What is that? Are we in the 60’s. I’m with the one of the people above who said, ” i think they got the mens and womens uniforms mixed up.

PS . Get a life you people who waste your time trying to spell check everyone. you think people really care

18. peyton
    4:05 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

If I have to say one positive thing about the new uni’s, I like that the shorts hit above the knee!

19. Jordan
    4:12 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Too much checkerboard, neckline too big, shorts are too short, football team sucks. We just can NOT be pleased!

20. Rick_S
    4:13 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

WG looks bigger that i remember…He may be the x factor not willis

21. 2Dogs
    4:18 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

It’s like, how much more checkerboard could this be? And the answer is none. None more checkerboard.

22. NcCatFan75
    4:38 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

IMO they look like knockoffs of UNC’s iconic Argyle pattern on the side.

23. RexRox
    6:04 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Okay, I’ll be the one … I like the checkerboard. Reminiscent of Secretariat’s colors. Plus, at a glance, everyone will know what team they are seeing on Sportscenter’s highlights.

24. BTownUKFan
    6:39 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I don’t care if they have blue hearts on them as long as they win ball games. I’ve been watching UK basketball for 40 years…uniforms come and go. It’s all about the wins !!

25. leon singleton
    7:01 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

s like a bag of Purina chicken scratch.

26. Wah Wah
    10:44 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

It’s like they copied the old UNC Unis.

Do not like this at all.

27. kybucs
    11:47 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Nothing wrong with uniforms. I swear….a lot of Ky fans bitch and moan about everything these days.

• Willis talkin bout....
      12:03 am September 16, 2016 Permalink

Except the fact that “a lot of Ky fans”. And everyone else seemingly hates them. That kinda leans more on the “wrong” side. Sure Nike will be proud that 1 person actually buys one. Keep rockin the checker board brother. Go Cats!

28. CPACAT
    8:47 am September 16, 2016 Permalink

I have no problem with the checkerboard, it’s the crazy neckline that I have an issue with.