People need to chill out about John Calipari’s Christmas tree

@UKCoachCalipari

@UKCoachCalipari

Last night, John Calipari posted a picture of his family’s Christmas tree on social media, and, as you might expect from the BBN, there’s been a lot of chatter about it online. What I’m about to type sounds like a line from “The Onion” (or more appropriately, The Harold Leeder), but some fans on social media seem upset about the size of Calipari’s tree. For real. Here’s a smattering of comments from Twitter and Instagram, including this hilarious one from jjasper72, who says Cal’s tree looks more like a “side tree” than a main tree:

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-8-53-43-am

Lots of jokes about the tree’s height, because, you know, basketball:

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-8-53-34-am

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-9-08-45-amscreen-shot-2016-12-14-at-8-59-46-am

Most folks were nice about the tree, but some were straight up mean:

screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-9-01-46-am screen-shot-2016-12-14-at-9-01-32-amscreen-shot-2016-12-14-at-9-08-15-am

It got so ridiculous that Erin Calipari felt the need to step in and say something this morning:

Michael Rudolph nailed it with this photoshop of the only tree that could please the BBN:

UPDATE: Calipari is having fun with the critics, and posted this tweet about the tree he and his wife almost got:

I love them so much.

21 Comments for People need to chill out about John Calipari’s Christmas tree

1. UK Big Bored Update
    10:21 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Great article from SI inre uavel (cheatin’ mo fo Satan-devil Bobby P.): http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/13/wake-forest-game-plan-leak-louisville-bobby-petrino

2. scon36
    10:22 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Christmas trees can be very personal. Maybe this tree has a very deep meaning for the Calapari family. Our tree may not be the prettiest or fanciest, but it means a great deal to our family.

3. CatsfaninFL
    10:22 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Every time something like this happens I click on their profiles hoping they’re just rival fans trolling… And when they’re not I just really hope it’s a vocal minority. *sigh*

4. UK Big Bored Update
    10:28 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

It is a Christmas tree, not a Corvette.

Apparently, size does not matter to Ellen…or CAL.

5. BlueGrass
    10:32 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

People worried about the size of their tree are just trying to compensate for something else. Case in point, Pitino has a 16 ft tree.

Honestly, when I saw the picture of that tree, I wondered if they downplayed their tree to appear more approachable, normal, etc. I imagine when Cal was recruiting Boogie, Bled, etc they probably had trees similar to this one. If he has a “grand” tree somewhere, I think it’s best to keep that one off twitter.

Bottom line, he appears “normal” with this tree and everyone is talking about him and UK…you know he loves that. Mission Accomplished by a master communicator.

• ukjaybrat
      10:38 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

my first instinct was what (2) scon36 said, but this probably has some truth to it

6. Go Deep
    10:48 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Wow, when I saw it I showed it to my wife and said this looks eerily similar to our tree, even have some of the same homemade ornaments for our kids. I live two streets away from Coach Cal, and it is definitely a family thing for us, not a try to impress others. Mean people need to STFU.

7. BoroBankCat
    10:48 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Personally, I’d prefer not giving those comments any more coverage than staying in the comment section.

8. Biscuits Old Dad
    10:49 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Good thing Cal has more class than me, if somebody ragged on my tree like that I’d tell ’em to f*ck off.

9. Callinstraight
    10:50 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Oh the sweet irony: KSR calling out folks for being judgmental of Coach Cal’s tree.

10. Booby Petrino
    11:21 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Cal just posted about it, saw it on FB. He said they’re empty nesters and showed a pic of a smaller one he said they almost bought.

11. Booby Petrino
    11:22 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

Coach K is running out to find himself a small tree.

12. MIDDAY
    11:29 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

You pretty much have to have a small tree when you’re going to put a gift wrapped house in the Bahamas under it.

13. Realme
    11:46 am December 14, 2016 Permalink

I think it’s charming they have an everyday tree instead of a professional showpiece. They are normal people in some ways.

14. J-Dub421
    1:03 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Holy cow, a lot of people need to get a hobby. Go find something important to worry over and stop concerning yourselves over someone else’s Christmas tree.

15. dnabb22
    1:04 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Looks like the 1% of the fan base that Cal refers to are the idiots doing this. First off, Cal has all the money in the world but still he takes his wife out to hand pick a normal tree. I think that is AWESOME. And like he said, EMPTY NEST, why on earth go and get a huge tree. My parents are empty nesters and did the same thing.
    But it doesnt matter, the MORONS that tweeted those comments are complete IDIOTS.

• satcheluk
      10:19 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

I think Hillary referred to them as the deplorables.

16. dnabb22
    1:07 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

AND TO BE FAIR TO BBN………….If you look up those people, most of them are not even Kentucky fans. One is Alabama fan, one is Louisville, One is Memphis

17. Megan
    1:22 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

It’s not an attractive tree. Nothing to do with size. Just kind of misshaped and not well presented. Sort of goes with their toaster oven with the broken door. I guess they’re just average people like you and me, but with a portfolio to die for.

And maybe that’s why the attention. You’d think a family of such means wouldn’t put up with such things as a broken toaster oven and a very average Christmas tree. But in a way, I guess, it’s kind of endearing. Money doesn’t have to change you too much. Seems like there’s always a story about some very ordinary old man who dies, and everyone in the neighborhood is shocked to learn that he was filthy, filthy rich. There’s a children’s book there somewhere.

18. wildcat369
    2:37 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

I finally found out where all of the Charlie Brown Christmas characters live. If the critics would take a close look at the tree and how it is decorated they might see a fabulous tree! Then again their hearts may not get much bigger than a pea.