Payne: “Coach Cal coached the team through Tyler Ulis”

payne-sc

Kentucky assistant Kenny Payne slid over to the big chair after John Calipari’s early ejection, but he doesn’t want credit for coaching the team to its 27-point win at South Carolina.

In the postgame press conference, Payne admitted he did not coach Kentucky’s offense in the game. He focused on defense and rebounding, and left the offense to its point guard, Tyler Ulis, who is a mini-Calipari in a UK uniform.

“One of the telling things about this game is you saw the influence of what Cal has been teaching offensively,” said Payne. “I never touched on offense, didn’t have to. Between Cal and Tyler Ulis, they’re on the same page. Tyler Ulis ran the offense. Every now and then I may have interjected something, but at the end of the day, it was his show.”

Ulis said the coaching staff gave him the green light to call whatever he wanted to call, occasionally taking suggestions from John Robic. But it was Ulis who ran the offense, which wasn’t any different than if Cal had still been on the sideline.

“The story isn’t someone else coaching the team,” Coach Payne said. “The story is Coach Cal coached the team through Tyler Ulis.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Payne: “Coach Cal coached the team through Tyler Ulis”

1. Seven Ate Nine
    2:49 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

The notable thing about Payne coaching defense is that we played a lot of zone in the second half. And in fact, USC didn’t score much against our zone, but I don’t know if that was because it was effective or just because they couldn’t throw a beach ball into the ocean.

2. jeffj
    2:51 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

Question folks: whats the rule at 1/2 time with us in the locker room, is Cal sequestered ?

• Cals Hoverboard
      3:42 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

I tried to look that up myself. It just says he’s to remain in the locker room for the duration of the game. Can’t find anything about him being away from the team in the locker room. I’ve got to assume he’s able to communicate with the team in there. Looks to me like we had our best coach today on the floor with the team, and he wears #3 on his jersey. As Tony Montana was quoted as saying “say hello to my little friend”!!!!

3. CopenhagenCat
    2:59 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

Lee rebounding made a difference today. Of Course Ulis and Murray were awesome. But Lee just doing his job helps a lot. Hope he decides to keep it going.

4. UK Big Board Update
    3:05 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

The Rest of the story February 13, 2016 at 10:03 am | Permalink | Log in to reply.
    I am really afraid that the Cats will get caught in a sand storm today.

5. blitzedanddazed
    3:18 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

“Mr. Credit Card”….Doug Gottlieb picked South Carolina as his “Lock Of The Day Win”…….Cats proved there is more to the story left to be written.

• Cals Hoverboard
      3:23 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

Just take what Gottlieb says and bet the opposite. I’d say you’ll make money!

6. Big Kat
    3:22 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

Kenny Payne is awesome. Class act. Hope he’s around a long time.

7. Cals Hoverboard
    3:30 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

In the back of my mind, I kept thinking Maybe Cal wanted to get thrown out of this game. Maybe he wanted to test Tyler and have him run the team. After all, Tyler is truly the floor general. Maybe this is part of Cal’s “preparation” for getting this team ready for a deep March run. Maybe he saw the great turnout of our fans in the place and thought this is a perfect time to let Tyler do this. A couple years ago he got thrown out down there and we almost made a miraculous comeback after a mediocre 25-40 minutes of play. Sounds good anyway. Not quite ready to give Cal any credit just yet, I still think these guys play a little “looser” when he’s not on the sideline screaming his ass off at them!

8. sbueck
    3:35 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

Can Tyler coach the offense from here on? Please?

9. Loother
    8:44 pm February 13, 2016 Permalink

The story of the game was the extensive and effective zone defense we played in the 2nd half. No way that happens with Cal on the bench. Also, notice how well the players responded to the calm coaching style of Payne. Cal should take notice…