Patrick Patterson credits John Calipari for helping him becoming a better pro

patrick-patterson1

Ready for a little after lunch reading?  ProBballReport.com’s Stephen Brotherson has a nice profile of Patrick Patterson on his site today, in which the Toronto big man opens up about how coming back to UK for his junior year and playing under John Calipari changed his game for the better:

“Being taller than everybody, I was forced to play the 5,” Patterson said.  “In college my first 2 years, I was a center at 6’8, so to that I credit my post defense and (Coach) Calipari, he came in my junior year, he introduced me to the perimeter game.  He allowed me to shoot the ball, put the ball on the floor and that allowed me to transition to the NBA.

“It opened up my game.  Had I not stayed with DeMarcus (Cousins) and John (Wall), I would have come out as a 6’8 center.  A guy who had never stepped out to the three-point line or even taken an 18’ jump shot, I would be pretty much a version of Chuck (Hayes), but not as strong and not as wide.  That would have been my game, just around the basket and then I would have had to start from scratch when I got to the NBA.  Coming back with John and DeMarcus and Calipari is definitely the reason that I am the type of player I am today.

Calipari is attempting to do the same thing with Julius Randle, who more often than not is flooded with double and triple teams in the post.  We’ve seen glimpses of Randle’s perimeter game this season, and it’s very much still a work-in-progress, but if he could develop at least a mid-range jumper, he’ll be an even more successful pro.  Just look at the effect it had on Patrick.

[Raptors Patrick Patterson Credits Kentucky’s John Calipari]

12 Comments for Patrick Patterson credits John Calipari for helping him becoming a better pro

1. But, but, but...
    2:07 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

“Calipari can’t develop players! Pitino is WAY better at it. I mean, Siva is killing it over in Kazakhstan, and Russ Smith will totally be a star in the NBA despite his lack of size, passing ability, and terrible shot selection. And he did wonders for Behanan!”

-Louisville trolls.

2. TardFan
    2:13 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

No no no no no. This can’t be true. Cal just rolls the ball out.

3. BeauKnows
    2:27 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

Love PPat. A great ambassador for Kentucky basketball. He may never be ‘the guy’ but I see him having a long career in the NBA because of his skills, his work ethic and his character.
    GO CATS !

4. cristoforouk
    2:37 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

What perimeter game from Julius? I’ve seen no glimpses.

• stubbs
      2:45 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

He hasn’t shot well (or often) from the perimeter, but he has done some driving from there. Notably in the UL game, he used the drive often instead of posting, to avoid double-teams.

• cristoforouk
      4:17 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

True, but we haven’t really seen him develop anything on the perimeter. He was already able to drive the ball for a big man, although a lot of times it is into double and triple teams. His perimeter skills are pretty deficient.

5. Micahel F. Jox
    3:22 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

Has Julius made a jumper since he’s been here? So, “seen glimpses of Randle’s perimeter game,” means we’ve seen him dribble the ball around the perimeter. Ok.

• too shaky to watch the game
      4:15 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

i remember randle hitting a few 2s but no 3s

6. bigcatkd
    6:05 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

Julius will be drafted in the top 10, maybe top 5. Evidently his skills impress some and Coach Cal will help him improve his game just as he has numerous other high draft picks. The problem some have is their team hardly ever has a first round pick and when they do it someone who spent 5 years working on their game.

7. js
    6:24 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

P.P. is definitely one of my favorite players of all time here at UK. Class act, If you don’t like him then something has to be wrong with you!!!!

8. Gillispie
    8:09 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

PPat was my recruit

9. spookykim
    8:53 pm January 14, 2014 Permalink

Patrick would have made us proud with or without Coach Cal; he’s that caliber of player & person.