Owensboro doctor trashes UK players in letter to the newspaper

harrison-letter

Easy there, Doc.

Players have been charging for autographs around the state for as long as I can remember. I had a poster signed by Gimel Martinez, Travis Ford and Jeff Brassow hanging above my bed that I’m pretty sure my dad had to pay for at one of their tour stops. That’s how this works. Some of the signings can take entire days and no one in their right mind is doing all that for free. Karl Towns has been on the road for a month and has seen just about every blade of grass in Kentucky. He deserves every dime for his time and what he did for basketball fans last season. Not to mention, if the autographs were free, the lines would never end.

Also, while I’m picking apart your awful letter to the newspaper, to call them college “dropouts” is a little unfair. They’re more like students who received a very high-paying job offer before graduating and accepted it. And when did they attack Owensboro? I missed that one in the news. Is everyone okay???

P.S. The “Who won the NCAA tournament?” line was a little uncalled for.

Somebody take Doc Greene to Moonlite and get him in a better mood.

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for Owensboro doctor trashes UK players in letter to the newspaper

1. CatsFanFrankfort
    1:31 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

This idiot probably stood in line for an hour, not realizing he had to pay for the autograph, and when he was told they were charging money, he got all pissed off. No one made all these people across the state stand in line to pay for autographs of players they idolized; obviously thousands of people were more than happy to do so. Get over yourself; if you don’t want to pay for an autograph, then don’t. That simple.

2. PuffyNips
    1:34 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Are we sure the man is a doctor?

I believe it is possible that the MD stands for Mad D*ckhead.

Thank you.

3. cracka
    1:45 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

agree, if they didn’t charge for their autograph, then people would be fighting in line to make the cutoff they would impose because a crazy amount of people would show up … we heard a lot of the guys were already staying a couple of hours late each appearance to try and get everybody who showed up a signature

that being said, if my son wanted me to take him to get a shirt or ball or whatever signed and he got to the table and 3 ex-players wanted $30 each for their signature, that’s kinda rough

4. deWildcat
    1:45 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Probably a big fan of the welfare state – there his tax dollars are well deserved and accounted for.

5. DavidfromTheHomers
    1:53 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

This guy is a clown and doesnt represent Owensboro. I think he’s a troll based on his last comment. I will admit that I’m not a fan of the mount of money they charge for an autograph, therefore i don’t go. However, I’m a big believer in capitalism and the players are more than welcome to charge whatever they want. Apparantly it’s not hurting the crowds.

6. Catsby80
    1:56 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like a pretty grumpy old man. Poor guy probably missed is afternoon Jello.

7. david8577
    1:59 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

This is an example of what it means to “lean left”. Here’s hoping his doctor visits suffer.

8. RealCatsFan
    2:06 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Do you expect us to believe that this transparent attempt at trolling was really written by a medical doctor? The grammar and sentence structure leads me to believe it was written by a dropout from a school a couple of hours to the northwest of Owensboro. If this guy truly is am M.D., he had to have been at the bottom of his graduating class. Don’t think I would want him operating on me.

BTW – I could be wrong, but I don’t think the taxpayers of this state are paying one dime for the expenses incurred for the players. I think most of that is coming from the athletic department. If you want an example of taxpayer subsidies for a college athletic program, look no further than the aforementioned school that I referred to in the previous paragraph, and the dubious funding of their basketball arena.

9. meeksfor3
    2:10 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I wonder if he obtained grant or scholarship money for his M.D. degree? If so he should see patients for free or maybe his college professors didn’t teach him about being too greedy.

10. GrumpyOldDude
    2:20 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Clearly, this clown knows zero about how UK’s athletic programs are funded. It ain’t via your taxes, genius.

11. I Love It
    2:24 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

This, folks, is what it looks like when someone realizes their life’s work pales in comparison – fame-wise – to a kid who shoots an inflated leather ball through a hoop. Eight years of school, hundreds of individual patients, yet nowhere near the acclaim of Mr. Trill Stein, who, in one month, will receive a signing bonus large enough to pay off all the med school loans that plagued Dr. Greene throughout his 30s – and still have enough left over to buy a Ferrari.

It’s jealousy with a false sense of superiority, nothing more, nothing less. Don’t be angry with him, just pity him.

12. ClutchCargo
    2:40 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I wonder if Dr. Greene treats his patients for free, so as not to attack Owensboro? His letter reads like something written by someone at least in his 60’s, so he surely has made enough money by now.

13. CPACAT
    2:40 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Geography police..assuming you mean UL, that is North and East of Owensboro, not NW.

All UK athletics is paid for by fees charged to fans for entrance, tv networks for viewing, sponsors for advertising, etc. The UK Athletics Association manages these funds, pays for minor sports with no revenue streams, pays coaching/staff salaries, pays for recruiting and travel, pays the university for the facilities, pays the university for scholarships for the athletes (in both revenue and non-revenue sports), and then makes a sizable donation to the university’s general fund each year. None of our “tax dollars” go to providing funds for UK athletics.

The same is not true for other regional universities in Kentucky (Eastern, Morehead, Northern, UL, etc.)

• CPACAT
      2:41 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

supposed to be a reply to No. 8

14. DT in DC
    2:46 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I’m not a fan of paying these guys for their autographs either, but I don’t think it’s very professional to send a letter to the paper making a huge deal out of it. Just respond by not going and shelling out the cash. However, I do feel bad for the kids who have parents that can’t shell out $30 a pop for a chance to meet the guys they idolize on the basketball court. But I also recognize I’m probably in the minority here.

And as a former Owensboroan, I remember going to get the autographs of the 1996 seniors at Republic Bank for free. I think back in those days though the company that brought them to town paid them their fee and it wasn’t passed on to the fans.

• ukbradstith
      3:05 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I got many autographs during the 90s and early 2000s, loved getting them. I always had to pay, so maybe the company did foot the bill for this signing. Anyone that would expect anyone, no matter their financial situation, to sign thousands of autographs for days has a screw loose.

15. DT in DC
    2:50 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Also, an internet search brought up this: “Dr. Greene graduated from Vanderbilt University School Of Medicine, Nashville Tennessee with an MD 61 years ago.” So, he’s at least in his mid-80s.

16. absolute9145
    2:54 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I called the doctors office and he charges between $85 to $165 just for a consultation, so what was that about greed again?

17. Kyreds
    2:54 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I am not going to get a 2nd opinion on this doctor! He nailed it ! I agree with him 100% about Coach Cal! I am looking at the Memphis record & the Kentucky record! He is doing the same thing here at UK that he did in Memphis! He has won 1 national CHAMPIONSHIP HERE & I AM HAPPY WITH THAT! But he is running players off that need to develop more skills!

• GrumpyOldDude
      3:01 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

“Running players off”? Are you high or another UL troll? I suppose if you got an offer to do what you love for millions of dollars, you’d stay in school, huh?

18. theWilkman
    3:06 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

There are so many ridiculous statements in his letter, most of which have been ridiculed nicely by my fellow commenters. I would like to add one thought: To call players that have spent hours of their lives visiting sick kids, elderly, shoeless kids in the Bahamas, etc., greedy…that is beyond me. I hope this doctor loses quite a few patients from this. If he’s an 80+ year old doctor like an earlier comment stated, he hasn’t worried about money for decades.

19. Kyreds
    3:13 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Yes I would STAY in school because of 2 reasons !EDUCATION & If you IMPROVE your skills then you would make more money! Just look at Dakari Was he ready for the pros? Cant play at all! Harrisons need to gain composer & quit crying so much! That wont do in the pros! Will cauley needed another year he has no offense! But For the love of money is the root to all evil! LET CAL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

• david8577
      3:22 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Buddy, you are fooling no one. Go back to card chronicle.

• J-Dub421
      3:41 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Staying in school will not improve any of their draft stock, the NBA values youth. The purpose of going to college is to prepare you for your future career. These players future careers are in basketball, not accounting or construction. They are prepared. David8577 is right, go back to card chronicle.

• RealCatsFan
      5:16 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub, you are wasting key strokes and reason on an idiot. Don’t try to reason with them – they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• GrumpyOldDude
      5:26 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

I think the majority would prefer that YOU “go somewhere else”, like back to your Tards hole.

20. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    3:19 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

He’s what I think Indiana fans sound like.

21. david8577
    3:21 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

People of Owensboro, stand up to this heathen.

22. Kyreds
    4:02 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

You young boys & kids just don’t get it! You go to college to get a education & develop your skills for the next level! Cal is not letting any of that happen! You make more money if your skills are better ! Maybe you all need more schooling

• Mc12
      4:15 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Can you provide supporting data on players making more money by staying in college vs. leaving for the NBA to support your argument?

• real True Blue Cat
      4:50 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I’m one of those young boys but I’m 50 and have a business degree. If IBM called me after my freshman year and offered me 5 million a year I’da been GONE. And so would you have been.

But how is Cal not letting them get an education? He isn’t the one offering millions to leave and he couldn’t have talked me into turning down IBM millions either.

• J-Dub421
      5:22 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Based on the writing in your posts you should have stayed in school longer.

• Buckets
      10:42 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

You, sir, are a complete idiot and a troll.

• ukjaybrat
      7:47 am May 15, 2015 Permalink

there is a proven correlation that staying in school longer actually reduces your lifetime earnings (for an nba player). The sooner they go to the nba, the more money they will make (on average)… so you’re claims are as ridiculous as your attempt at pretending your a Kentucky fan.

23. Mc12
    4:13 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

PS Who won the NCAA tournament? A team of college “dropouts”.

24. bluemoney48
    5:12 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Someone needs to educated the good doctor. Actually, the tax payers DO NOT pay for the tuition, house, books, tutors, etc. for the student-athletes at UK. UK Athletics self generates it’s funding so that all tax payer dollars support main campus.

Also, these players are no longer amateurs and it is a free market for them to do what they want. These autograph tours are not provided by the university, but instead a marketing and promotions agency. The school can’t pay the players to travel to the destinations and do you think they will take money from their own pockets to pay for it, no. It’s is ironic that this doctor complains about the players being greedy (taxpayers this and that) and how Cal is teaching them greed but yet he calls Cal the best coach but doesn’t complain he is making $8million annually.

25. Willy
    7:20 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

The good doc needs to go back to college himselfnand take a few economic & business courses, he doesn’t seem to get it!!!!

26. Buckets
    10:47 pm May 14, 2015 Permalink

Feel free to send the good doctor a letter of your own.
    R Glenn Greene, MD