Oscar Tshiebwe is No. 1 in ESPN’s transfer rankings

Photo by Dale Sparks

Photo by Dale Sparks

Once you’re done marveling at that picture of Oscar Tshiebwe getting ready to dunk a basketball, let me have your attention. With transfer portal season fast approaching, ESPN’s Jeff Borzello ranked the top transfers in college basketball and Tshiebwe, formerly of West Virginia, is right at the top.

1. Oscar Tshiebwe, 6-foot-9, 260 pounds, PF, sophomore, West Virginia
Committed to Kentucky
Tshiebwe was one of the best big men in the country as a freshman (11.2 PPG, 9.3 RPG), but struggled through 10 games this season before leaving. He ultimately chose Kentucky over Miami, Illinois and NC State.

Of course, Tshiebwe won’t be able to play this season, but he can help the Cats in practice. As a freshman, he led the Mountaineers in scoring (11.2 points per game), rebounding (9.3 boards per game) and blocks (1.0) in 23.3 minutes per game en route to All-Big 12 Second Team and Big 12 All-Freshman Team honors. Tshiebwe arrived in Lexington this week but did not travel with the team to Missouri so he could take care of some onboarding tasks. Calipari told reporters yesterday he’s looking forward to getting Tshiebwe on the court once the Cats return.

“Here’s the thing, Oscar, the thing I loved about him was how hard he worked, how hard he played, how he would make everything an extra effort stuff, and I want him to go against our guys and try and bring some of that out of the guys that we have. Even though we have been playing hard, let’s take it to another level. One rebound, two rebounds, you ready for this? Two less turnovers per game, two more rebounds, a made shot. Where is this all? And so, I want him to add to it and help us and he’s ready to do that.”

“I just met him yesterday,” Lance Ware said of Tshiebwe yesterday. “He seems like a really, really good guy. We didn’t really speak much. I just saw him before I left the lodge. I said, ‘What’s up?’ But, from what Cal says he plays really hard. Obviously, I play hard so it’s going to be great competition in practice. I know he’s going to help me get better. I know those type of people, they help me get better. He’s going to help Olivier (Sarr) get better, Isaiah. So, he’s going to be a great addition for these few weeks or months that he’s here to help everybody get better for next year.”

By now I’m sure you’ve seen it, but this video of Cal and Big O in his office is pretty exciting stuff.

Check out the rest of the transfer rankings at the link below. Kamani Johnson, Dakari’s little brother who left Little Rock for Arkansas, is No. 20.

[ESPN]

16 Comments for Oscar Tshiebwe is No. 1 in ESPN’s transfer rankings

1. BigBluSoTru
    3:05 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

So was Sarr they said.

• ClutchCargo
      3:43 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

And maybe he was. This is 2021. Try harder to keep up.

• DaaaaCats
      4:54 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Sarr is a round peg that Cal is trying to fit in a square hole.

I admit I don’t know anything besides his size, but it seems that Tshiebwe is a post player naturally so hopefully he’ll fit Cal’s mold better

• Bluehender
      5:22 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Agree. Cal is not playing Sarr the way he needs for him to be effective. I wish he would play him at a high post around the free throw line and run the offense through him. Screens and back door cuts to the basket. Oh wait a minute…it’s Cal. He won’t play that way. I’ve been saying all year Cal needs to adapt to the talent he has. But I don’t think he’s capable of doing that…

2. millertim
    3:22 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Can’t wait to see this young man in Big Blue next year. Hopefully most of this year’s roster returns and we can field a much better squad with a good blend of youth and veterans. And if Skyy Clark reclassifies— watch out! That kid could start today!!

3. Lip Man 1
    3:45 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

They listed Sarr number one last year as well. How’d that turnout?

The moral of the story?, these “rankings” are meaningless, until you see the kid actually perform. Nothing but “click-bait.”

4. jaws2
    3:50 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Clutch I really don’t get your reply. Sounds like you think anyone with an opinion other than yours on this subject is blasphemy, or against the program. All the guy is saying is that we get this recording every year and why bother to get over excited about it at this juncture. I’m sure he’s not the only person that thinks this way.
    Your comments generally make sense, but I’m afraid you hit the keyboard pretty quick on this one. I’ll blame Covid.

• Tom Bombadil
      3:55 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

I second that Jaws

• ClutchCargo
      4:10 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

It’s fine to have that opinion. Sarr has not been what we expected, but he still could have been the best transfer available, for whatever that’s worth. Really, I was just taking shots at a troll.

• runningunnin.454
      4:38 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Clutch, the troll can’t keep up when he routinely uses his head as a suppository. And, for the people talking about Sarr…he is not being utilized correctly; he is not a post-up big man. Same as Skal.

5. EdC
    3:57 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

I hope he plays well but this is just more Calipari BS where he can’t keep a team with any natural Juniors or Seniors and is forever scrambling for pieces of the puzzle instead of planning the program that used to be called the greatest tradition in college basketball. Hard to maintain tradition when you coach obviously has so much disdain for it.

6. T-Town Cat
    4:05 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

If Tshiebwe is helping in practice, does that mean at least one of Ware, Sarr, Jackson, or Toppin goes to the sideline and watches Tshiebwe work against the others?

• Corder
      10:41 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

Do you understand how practice works? It’s not always five on five scrimmages.

7. Looother
    5:38 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

My sources say that ClutchCargo should lighten up and not be so snarky…

8. kykid16
    6:00 pm February 3, 2021 Permalink

I just hope he stays for next year and doesn’t use this as stepping stone for NBA draft