Only three of Kentucky’s five NBA Draft prospects included in new mock draft

This morning, Sam Vecenie released his latest mock draft for The Athletic, and only three of the five Kentucky Wildcats who declared for the draft are included.

Vecenie projects Tyrese Maxey to the Portland Trail Blazers at No. 14, Immanuel Quickley to the Sacramento Kings at No. 43, and Nick Richards to the New Orleans Pelicans at No. 60. Not on the list? Ashton Hagans and EJ Montgomery; in fact, Vecenie says Montgomery wasn’t even on his radar.

Oof. To read what Vecenie says about Maxey, Quickley, and Richards, check out The Athletic. Heads up, you’ll need a subscription.

[The Athletic]

17 Comments for Only three of Kentucky’s five NBA Draft prospects included in new mock draft

1. CoachCalFan
    11:46 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

They are confident in their choice and chances by entering the draft. We just gotta be happy for them and thank them for their time/effort at Kentucky. They gave what they had and rooting for their success!

2. Heavy C
    11:46 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

We have to have more kids that jump prematurely than any other program. Why is that? EJ Montgomery in all likelihood wouldn’t be listed in a Top 200 list if one existed.

• bigbluebg
      1:27 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

We do have a lot of kids that jump early. I think part of it is due to seeing their peers make the jump and start a professional career. EJ would have been the last in his class to leave (technically still was just days after). I feel like these kids look around and everyone they know has left the program and they feel like they’re getting left behind. That along with external pressures from family/friends to be their meal-ticket.

3. tncatrn
    11:55 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Just reinforces what everyone has thought…EJ…is…NOT…ready….by a LONG shot. I get wanting to make your life better for you and your family. Go for it. But what is an outside shot at any sort of contract for minimal money and the remainder of your life in mediocrity compared to another couple years in college and potentially being drafted for millions and set up for life… the beed for immediate gratification is killing this generation

4. The Professor
    12:02 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

EJ won’t get drafted but I believe he will eventually be an NBA player for several years. There have been quite a few guys who have left who I thought were marginal prospects and they have all turned out to be just that but I think EJ has the tools to make it.

5. WKY Cat
    12:07 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Where’s all the folks that said Hagans is an elite defender and that gets him to the league?

6. 2andToodleLoo
    12:08 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t mention Khalil Whitney. Hmm. Off the radar’s radar I guess.

• UKFanSC
      2:01 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

He was a poor man’s Hami Diallo from day 1. Great athlete, marginal basketball player.

7. dave1964
    12:57 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Will go a step further EJ is not even good enough to play in the G-L

8. Dustin Rumbaugh
    1:10 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m not gonna down EJ cuz he gave his sweat and tears to our program, but I bet with the new NCAA rules, he will be the last and sort of a martyr when it comes to leaving early for money when you aren’t ready. I’ll always believe that a senior EJ could’ve ruled the NCAA and then went on to make major money. Instead he cashed in early and I wish him the best but its going to be a much harder road than if he’d have just stayed and played at Kentucky under Cal and Payne. It sucks to say but he probably gotta a car and a little condo out of this….he could’ve stayed in the dorms and been a rock star for two more years and then have a steady career in the NBA for 10+. Not AD, Cousins money, but a steady career ala Chuck Hayes.

• IrishCat
      1:27 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more, Dustin.

• UKFanSC
      1:59 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Agree 100%

9. UKFanSC
    1:58 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

As has been mentioned a number of times, EJ Montgomery made a mistake. Huge one in my opinion. If he’s going to play professional basketball, it will not be in the United States. Maybe that’s perfectly fine with him and his family, but he certainly is not an NBA caliber talent at this stage of his development.

10. michaelb
    6:41 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Is it impossible for ej to return at this point ?

• VirginiaCat
      9:53 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

I could be wrong, but don’t think he can return because he signed with an agent. If accurate, that was the biggest mistake of all. He could have bought some time to evaluate his prospects, but burned the bridge behind him.

11. Looother
    9:17 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

My sources say that EJ is not – and never will be – NBA material…

12. T-Town Cat
    12:29 am April 30, 2020 Permalink

Just sad and concerning that more and more kids seem to want to get out of Lexington as soon as possible, either declaring for the NVA or transferring, even if they have nowhere to go.