cal-not-impressed-2

Coming in to today, the only “expert” at ESPN to pick Kentucky to make a run was Joe Lunardi, who has the Cats losing to Gonzaga in the national championship. ESPN just released the list of its 25 college basketball experts’ tournament picks, and only three analysts picked Kentucky to make the Final Four: Lunardi, Chris Cotter, and Eamonn Brennan.

Interestingly enough, Brennan, the site’s primary college basketball writer, was the only expert to pick Kentucky to win it all, choosing the Cats toe emerge from a Final Four that also includes Villanova, West Virginia, and Louisville. How’s that for a hot take Final Four?

The rest of the national champion picks were across the board:

• Duke: 4
  • Gonzaga: 4
  • North Carolina: 4
  • Villanova: 4
  • Arizona: 3
  • Kansas: 3
  • Kentucky: 1
  • Michigan: 1
  • UCLA: 1

Check out who picked who at the link below.

[ESPN]

25 Comments for Only 3 of ESPN’s 25 college basketball experts pick Kentucky to make the Final Four

1. Mathlete
    11:04 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Someone picked MICHIGAN??? Why didn’t they just go all out and pick Northern Kentucky? That “expert” has lost all credibility

• secrick
      11:25 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Can Michigan beat the cards?

• Catsby80
      11:48 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

it was Dakich.. Surprise Surprise.

• Mathlete
      12:11 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Ah, Dakich is trolling again. Got it. I’m not totally convinced that Kansas can beat U of Littlebro (plus I really want another shot at them in the Final Four)

2. bhb71
    11:24 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

The fact that four of them picked Gonzaga tells you all you need to know. They haven’t been tested nearly enough over the course of the season to be prepared for the tournament, and yet they were tied for the most commonly picked team amongst those analysts. I’m not too concerned about them sleeping on our guys.

3. AGSlater
    11:33 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Still not sure why everyone is suprised. They have played mediocre at best competition and every game has been close. They lost 2 of their big home games and if you watch them they have apparent flaws. Not just that its a terrible draw and probably the hardest 2 seeded route. They will hopefully win some games we will see

• spaghetti
      11:35 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

^^^ what AGSlater said

• playmorezeppelin
      11:57 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

I guess you don’t watch anyone besides Kentucky because every team across the board has flaws. What I’m not surprised at is another ignorant post by you.

• secrick
      12:15 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

What are there flaws?

• J-Dub421
      12:17 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Give us your final four predictions then Slater, since you’re so smart.

• Mathlete
      1:27 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

@J-Dub – his final four: anger, depression, frustration, and nihilism.

• RealCatsFan
      3:25 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Mathlete for the win!

• AGSlater
      4:08 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

You guys are the ones that dont watch other teams. Our eye test is more like an eye gouge. My final four is Kansas, Nova, West V, UCLA. I know all you UK super biased Cal worshipers have uk winning it all I know

• playmorezeppelin
      4:26 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I get that you enjoy being the KSR troll but you shouldn’t think so hard. You’ll hurt yourself. I don’t think anyone on here believes Kentucky is a shoe-in for the NC but if you’re telling me that we absolutely, without a doubt, cannot beat UNC, UCLA, UofL/Kansas, then you’re being unnecessarily irrational. We lost to UCLA, UofL, and Kansas by 14 points. Total. When we were playing with about half as much energy as we are now. I don’t think being optimistic about those odds makes me biased or a Cal worshiper.

• AGSlater
      4:34 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I do think they have a shot. They got a shitty draw. The best 1,2, and 3 seed in same bracket. They just are too inconsistent to win 6 games vs good teams. They have beaten 1 real solid team all season and Monk had to score 47

• catsarerunnin
      8:48 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Keep diggin’

• playmorezeppelin
      4:42 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I guess I can understand your original comment about not being surprised by the number of people at ESPN picking us for the FF. But I believe we have just as good of a chance to come out of our region as UNC or UCLA. I would say if either of those two fan bases were honest with themselves, they probably don’t feel any better about their chances than we do.

• catsarerunnin
      6:26 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Don’t argue with Slater. Just review all of his posts during the season. He’s been right at least 0% of the time and that’s pretty good.

4. maximumscott
    11:57 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

Brennans Final Four is pretty belivable actually

5. UKFaninNY
    1:02 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I’m not sure what’s so bad about 3 out of 25 – That’s over 10% of the experts which is a larger percentage the general consensus would be based on Vegas odds…

6. Bluebloodtoo
    1:10 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Given the body of work over the year, I’d have to say they have a defensible position. However, I think Cal is about to take the leash off these guys and let them run… Here’s hoping that the keyword for this final four run is “Unleashed”.

7. lumafia35
    1:19 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

If you want a good laugh, just go take a look at who these “experts” picked in their final four and champion predictions last year. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/expertspicks/espn-2016-final-four-national-champion-picks

• Mathlete
      1:30 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

There’s an awful lot of Sparty and Kansas in there… At least Kansas got close. Bilas picked A&M for his Final Four?? Come on Jay, I thought you were smarter than that.

8. RealCatsFan
    3:24 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I kind of like having this group flying under the radar and thinking they get no respect. Like the 2014 team, praise is their poison. They play better with a chip on their shoulder.

9. za
    4:38 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

How do you stay employed by ESPN when you continually troll?