One preseason magazine doesn’t think the Cats will be #1

BuxSpkGIUAIJ8qn

…The Sporting News. Mike DeCourcy’s magazine has the Cats as the preseason #2, behind Arizona. Here’s the regional cover, which features the Harrison Twins. Wisconsin, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville, Virginia, Florida, and Wichita State round out The Sporting News’ Preseason Top 10.

After UK’s blistering performances in this week’s exhibition games, what are the odds the editors are scrambling to get that issue back before it hits the newsstands?

32 Comments for One preseason magazine doesn’t think the Cats will be #1

1. "Work" is a relative term
    11:17 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Arizona > UK, that’s adorable. I think they got their Wildcats mixed up at SN.

2. J-Dub421
    11:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

How do they have Louisville ranked 7th?!?!?! Anyone besides me think that is way too high?

• Title Town
      11:46 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Several mock drafts have uofl with 2 lotto picks, Rozier and Hatrell. I’ve seen Rozier going as high as 9th. Crazy I know.

• Hmm
      5:12 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Indiana had two lotto picks a coupla years ago, too. They sucked though.

3. greginky
    11:21 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Only one thing is for certain in my mind and that is that when tournament time comes, we will be in a monster bracket!!

• bbn#1
      11:45 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I definitely agree with you but hopefully them putting us in the hardest bracket last year will be on their mind

4. Drew
    11:21 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

You know they are trolling when they use a picture of UK players instead of their predicted #1 team…

• UkNeal7
      11:25 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

You know this is a regional cover right? Almost all magazines do this. They even say it in the post.

• technicolor yawn
      11:52 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

We don’t need your “facts” around here mister

5. KentuckyCanada
    11:38 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

It’s not how you start it’s how you finish.

6. gordonm
    11:44 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

to paraphrase: COVERS? We don’t Need NO Sticking covers!

• gordonm
      11:44 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

* stinking. (missed it)

• CorntuckyJoe
      1:02 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Sticking covers would be the Pitino type?

7. Bigger Blue
    11:54 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Quite frankly, you guys need to think about this… IF SN, ESPN, USA Today and everybody else had us anywhere other than #1 and UK does what we think they can do, all that means is we are waaaaay smarter than the clowns in the media… Don’t worry, be happy… let them annihilate their credibility… lord know Robert Montgomery Knight has been silenced about our academics!

• Han
      12:34 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Knight’s been going senile, really.

For our part, I think we all wanted to be more reserved in our predictions. We still feel the sting of Noel’s team, and we still remember the losses during last season before the run in the tourneys. But then we came out, minus WCS and Lyles, and have been putting on a show in the Bahamas.

It’s gonna get pretty hyperbolic around here the next couple months.

8. gottodoit
    12:02 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

A number 2 ranking is fine. Arizona, or any other team, is welcome to the top spot until April.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      12:05 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. I don’t want a #1 ranking to begin the season. Too much pressure, too big of a bullseye on your back. I’d much rather be #1 near the end of the season.

• Han
      12:36 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Everyone else except haters have us at 1. If we were a freshman dominated team again, I’d agree with you all. But the Twins, Dakari, WCS, Poythress, Lee, and the other returnees aren’t going to take predictions and talent as gospel. They remember the losses in the regular season, they remember the last loss, and they know we lost two good scorers from last year. I think we’re gonna see Cal have to call the dogs off more than a few times this season.

9. Chris
    12:16 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

If UofL is 7th then we must be head and shoulders above the competition. They start two players who wouldn’t make our 10 man rotation

• bluemanchew
      3:42 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

I can only think of one that would break into our 10 man rotation. I also think that all but 3 of our players would start for them.

10. Han
    12:32 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Another case of assuming random team that wasn’t as good as us last year will get better, but we won’t get better. Every year we lose an important piece or two, add some good recruits, and everyone says Cal can’t handle all the talent. Only once since he came to UK has a team fizzled out at the end of the year, and that team lost its star to injury. I think I’ll take Cal and his 3 Final Fours, 1 NIT in 4 years, returning a starting PG for the first time, etc., over the field. Everyone convinced themselves the Twins were busts because they didn’t play like John Wall the whole season. Somehow the end of the season development was a fluke. I know this list has us at 2, but I’m speaking to everyone out there who isn’t picking us preseason 1 and sticking with that pick until we falter.

It’s like when we play Duke or Kansas or UNC or Louisville early in the season and everyone says that team will get better, as if we’re a team of seniors playing above our ceiling.

I’d kinda like to see Miller make it to the Final Four, but he’s already a pretty good recruiter and doesn’t need the help.

11. Butters
    12:33 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

The dude is just trying to sell magazines. No disrespect to Arizona or Mike DeCourcy, but even if you wanted to argue that Zona has equal talent in their starting 5, they still aren’t anywhere near as deep, Calipari is a better coach than Sean Miller until proven otherwise, and UK returns final four experience.

Also, I think after UK, Zona, Duke, and Wisconsin there is a big drop off.

• Han
      12:42 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Yup. Arizona’s got good players coming in this year to join last year’s team, but they lost big contributors as we did, and Cal has shown he can replace those kinds of losses time and time again and still make it to the promised land. Miller hasn’t shown he can make it to the promised land at all yet. If we’d lost more or added less, it’d be a better argument. Even then, there are a couple other teams with just as much potential as Arizona. For instance, as much as I hate Rat Face and as much time as he’s spending with Team USA, I don’t expect him to keep crapping out early in the tourney with the great recruits he’s getting. If he does, maybe he’ll stop recruiting 1-and-dones. And Wisky certainly proved their worth last year.

12. Mike
    12:50 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

The Cal/UK haters will never cease to exist!! This is just another example. Cal/UK are at the Pinnacle of college Basketball and the haters will come out. Always has been and always will be that way!

13. John Ellis
    1:56 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

“DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN” – ask Oscar.

14. Tim G
    2:15 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

How is Louisville in the top 10? They do realize they wont get to play cupcakes all season and half the team can’t speak english? Oh and lets not forget lost over 50% of their offensive production (Note: 45% of that was from circus shots that resulted in free throws)

15. Dale J
    2:30 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Mikw Decoursey would like nothing better than to see UK fail, He’s not a fan of UK, He was a big UC fan when Huggins was there and Cincinnati fan just kept comparing themselves to UK and Mike was the leader, Funny we don’t here from Mike around here in Northern Kentucky anymore,He;s the reason I don’t subscribe to SN anymore and won’t even read one if given the chance

16. Out-Of-Office
    2:57 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Can’t say I disagree. We may be much deeper but they have a better starting 5 and only 5 guys can play at one time. I still like our chances come April but I think #2 is deserved for now.

17. Hmm
    5:15 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

They had us at #2 behind Carolina in 2012, too, so there’s that…

18. kruter
    5:38 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

We will be #8 in Gotliebs preseason poll

19. Karen
    10:27 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Nothing is as irrelevant as the preseason rankings! The Cats will do their talking on the court. Go Cats!

20. Brian
    1:06 pm August 13, 2014 Permalink

Several members of this team have proven what rank and predictions are worth. Rank Schmank! We’re gonna do our ranking on the court.