One National Writer has Malik Monk’s Back

monk-laugh

The image above caused quite the stir across not just the Big Blue Nation, but the world of college basketball.  On the receiving end of a five-dollar ass-whoopin’, Monk was caught on camera smiling.

It turns out, he was smiling because the Florida student section was serenading him with “Happy Birthday” on his 19th birthday, a rare funny moment from a modern college student section.  Still, Monk apologized for cracking a grin earlier today.

Seen as a classy move by some, T. Beckett Adams of the Washington Examiner can not believe he had to apologize.  In an article titled, “Congratulations, Internet. You just shamed a college athlete into apologizing for laughing during a game,” Adams goes in on the haters.

“This is the age of the Internet. People enjoy being angry for no apparent reason, and they’ll jump at the chance to dogpile a guy. Social media users and sports blogs went nuts over the optics of Monk smiling as his team lost to Florida.”

After providing an accurate description of internet commenters, he departs with a gratifying conclusion.

“Congratulations, Internet.

You pressured an apology from the birthday boy. You really saved the day on this one. You haven’t come through in a clutch moment like this since the time you forced a tearful apology from a space scientistbecause he wore a “problematic” shirt.

Humanity owes you a debt of gratitude, angry Internet person.”

[Washington Examiner]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

10 Comments for One National Writer has Malik Monk’s Back

1. rainman
    10:23 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

You mean just like your doing with this article?

• backbeatcat
      1:23 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, except piling on “The Internet” is probably OK. Piling on a college kid for laughing at a joke just isn’t.

• rainman
      3:20 pm February 7, 2017 Permalink

No difference!
      How do you know the ones he’s ripping aren’t “KIDS”?

2. Collie
    11:04 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Okay. A freshman at Kentucky was caught laughing on the bench in a blowout. I believe that kid doesn’t like and isn’t used to losing. I’m pretty sure he is still embarrassed and pissed off. He didn’t come to Kentucky to lose. He didn’t have to appoigize to me. I see it as he learned a lesson about the camera being on you all the time. That’s part of why they come to Kentucky, the PR of being in front of the camera.

3. unbridled
    11:05 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I think if I were in Malik’s shoes…I would have taken offense to the home crowd singing to me. Anything they said directed towards me would irk me…but that’s just me and I’m not an ultra competitive future NBA star. Regardless, I could care less if he laughed. I just hope he will eventually make some half hearted effort to play defense and maybe exercise some remotely good judgment pertaining to shot selection. That’s all.

• TBW3011
      9:55 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

You just pointed out the issue. If you leave everything on the court and your effort isn’t in question, you can get away with laughing. When your effort is in question you will get blasted for cracking up while getting your tail kicked. Right or wrong, I knew the second I saw it that people would go nuts.

4. Collie
    1:32 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Of all the supposed “one and done” recruits that cal has brought in, I really believe we’ve only really seen three or four that where ready to make the move to NBA. Take your picks of which ones. Most would benefit from another year at the college level.

• 4everblue
      3:16 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

The same could be said for every school’s one and dones!

• UK Big Board Update
      3:52 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

(For the 100,000,000th time) Its not Cal’s rule, its the NBA’s…

5. TBW3011
    9:52 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Apology wasn’t necessary. An explanation was a good idea though. Just a bad look when you’re down 20 and cracking up. The lack of effort on the court by the team in general (not singling out Monk here), is what made people lose their collective minds. People watched a team appear to not care for the majority of the game and that image of him cracking up only confirmed that notion to many. That’s no excuse to lose your mind on an 18 yr old, but let’s not act like it wasn’t great timing by Malik either.