On this date in 1989…

kennyskywalker hair

Kenny “Sky” Walker won the NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

The only former Wildcat to ever win All-Star Weekend’s Saturday night spectacle, Walker defeated former Champion Spud Webb and Clyde “The Glide” Drexler in Houston to take home the title.  Luckily, Walker didn’t have to take the crown from back-to-back winner Michael Jordan.

If you’ve never seen the show he put on, it’s amazing to see how agile the big man was in the air.

I wonder if there’s another Wildcat out there that could do what Walker did 27 years ago.  Maybe John Wall…What do YOU think?

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for On this date in 1989…

1. huck
    9:51 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

I think to be able to appreciate Walker as much as he deserves, you would have had to have gone to his games, especially at UK. TV just didn’t show what he went through. I remember a game in Atlanta/ SEC that I got to go to and the fouls on him were unbelievable. He would have one holding him with one arm pined and another doing chin-ups of the other, a ref 3 feet away and would just through his hands up…. he was like, whats up ref…… didn’t see a thing.

He was one of the main guys, if not most of it and if they let him play even, we would win too easy. This was in 85 I think, playing LSU.

• catdaddyd
      11:35 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

Walker in 85 was one of the best years by a player in my lifetime at UK. Would have went to the final four had Walker not got poked in the eye.

2. Neal Orac
    9:51 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

Poythress is now eligible to become UK’s first Academic All-American since Mark Pope in 1995.

3. BigDog
    9:55 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

4. ldailey3
    10:17 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

John wall won it in 2014?

5. Wynn
    10:18 pm February 11, 2016 Permalink

John Wall already won the dunk contest. Two years ago. It was pretty big news… on this site… ringing any bells?? Lol come on Nick

• catdaddyd
      11:48 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

Shows how far the dunk contest has fallen off. I didn’t remember as well. The three point contest is better now a days. Dunk contest would be better if they went back to only two dunk attempts per round.

6. WildcatSteeler
    3:10 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

95% of the people on this site weren’t even alive then. Come see me in 25 years if you wanna get on my level.

• J-Dub421
      10:09 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

95% of your stats are completely made up.

7. RC
    8:54 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

Kenny Walker was one of my absolute favorite Cats growing up. He and Mel Turpin and then later Winston Bennett were nearly unstoppable. Walker could obviously Sky with the best of his era, but he had a tremendous mid-range game and played tight D. Kenny Walker is our #2 all time leading scorer and #6 rebounder. Let that sink in for a minute.

A couple of weeks ago when the UK All Time Starting Five talk was going on Twitter and KSR it was sad how few mentions Kenny Walker received. I noticed Cousins, Davis, KAT on a lot of lists while Kenny Walker, Jamal Mashburn and Dan Issel were missing.

If you never saw Walker play I encourage you to find some clips on Youtube and witness one of the best 5 players to every lace them up at Kentucky. Sky Walker was the absolute real deal.

• catdaddyd
      11:38 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

I agree with Walker and Turpin, but Bennett was horrible.

8. catdaddyd
    11:51 am February 12, 2016 Permalink

Rex was robbed (maybe I shouldn’t use that word) of the slam dunk title in 90/91.