Olivier Sarr is excited to play Notre Dame this year

Photo: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Kentucky basketball has announced a three-year series with Notre Dame, and future Wildcat center Olivier Sarr is pretty darn excited about it.

Moments after the school’s announcement this morning, the Wake Forest transfer took to Twitter to express his thoughts.

“Yessir let’s goooooo,” Sarr said, adding several flame, cat, and blue/white emojis.

Now why would the future Wildcat be so excited to take on the Fighting Irish?

This past season at Wake Forest, Sarr put up a ridiculous 30 points and 17 rebounds – both career highs – in a February win over Notre Dame.

In the 84-73 victory, Sarr finished with 30 points on 12-16 shooting and 6-7 from the free throw line to go with his 17 rebounds and one block.

Check out the highlights from Sarr’s most dominant game of his three-year career below:

This morning, UK Athletics announced the revival of the once annual college basketball rivalry, with Kentucky agreeing to a three-year series with Notre Dame beginning this season.

The series will begin with a home game in Rupp Area on Dec. 12 for the 2020-21 season, followed by a neutral-site event in 2021 and a road game in South Bend, Indiana, in 2022.

The teams will meet for a neutral-site game on Dec. 11, 2021 at a site yet to be determined. UK will travel to South Bend, Indiana, on Dec. 10, 2022. Game times and television designations for all three games will be announced at a later date.

“If our previous games are any indication, this is going to be a great series,” UK head coach John Calipari said in the official release. “I can remember playing Notre Dame in 2010 in Freedom Hall and Ben Hansbrough going crazy in the first half and Terrence Jones willing us to victory in the second half. We went to South Bend a couple years later and that place was nuts. The football team was there and they thumped us. And then the game in 2015 in the Elite Eight was one of the best all-around games I’ve been a part of. Elite play from both teams.

“I’ve got a feeling these three games are going to provide some similar battles. Mike Brey is a terrific coach who always builds teams that are going to fight and give you everything they’ve got. I really like how our nonconference schedule is coming together for the next few seasons.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

7 Comments for Olivier Sarr is excited to play Notre Dame this year

1. runningunnin.454
    6:31 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

So, what does he know that we don’t? Is he going to play?

2. chris43
    6:42 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

I’ll be shocked if he ever plays a single minute for us. Now Juzang, Quade, Baker and many others can play immediately but this is KENTUCKY and Cal! The NCAA will go against it. Also if WF protests it that’ll most likely shoot it down. Which we all know how they feel towards Sarr now.

• Megan
      7:46 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

I would think just the opposite. Juzang’s exemption — I’m unaware of any hardship or extenuating circumstance in his case — should give us hope that Sarr will certainly get an exemption under his unusual circumstances. And Wake has already indicated they will support immediate eligibility. So I’m not sure where this gloom and doom is coming from.

• Corder
      10:38 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

Juzang moves closer to come. Big difference in what Sarr is trying to do. Not that I think it should matter but in the NCAAs eyes it’s a big difference.

• chris43
      4:37 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I hope that you are correct! But just as Juzang and many others are granted waivers and the right to play…plenty of others are not allowed to do so each and every year. Wake Forrest can say what they want publicity but they wanted him to stay badly! There was also some bad mouthing towards our program. Behind the scenes will be a different story. I really hope he plays but I’m not holding my breathe.

3. BobbyBlue
    7:03 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

Emmert desperately needs the revenue Ky will produce for March Maddness— He has to justify his $4 million salary whole others take pay cuts— coaches, administrators, KU, Arizona, and LSU players, etc
    For UK to reach their potential Sarr will have to be eligible. Ky is the biggest draw in college Basketball, this mor dollars for Emmerts coffers if they are really good.
    So maybe that makes Emmerts wood for Cal deflate and he allows Sarr to play.

4. lexattorney
    7:50 pm May 28, 2020 Permalink

This makes me feel so bad for the kid. He’s going to be bitterly disappointed when he doesn’t get to play.