Ohio State’s Matta has never gotten over 2011 loss to Kentucky

The Columbus Dispatch has a fun story about one of our all-time favorite wins for the Kentucky basketball program: the surprise upset of No. 1 seed Ohio State in Newark in the Sweet Sixteen.

The story says the early NCAA tournament exit has always stuck with Buckeye head coach Thad Matta, more so than the decision to bench Mike Conley in the 2007 NCAA title game.

Matta has never fully let go of that loss, especially with a clear path to the Final Four in view and a roster talented enough to win a championship,” it reads.

DeAndre Liggins offered up a few quotes to the paper about that game for all of the Buckeye fans who had forgotten about the heartbreak.

“They had the better team,” Liggins told The Dispatch after an NBA preseason game in Ohio State’s home arena. “We were less talented that year. We had some talented players, but Brandon Knight was the only one-and-done. We had a less talented team and they had an overall better team than us, but we still pulled it out because of our toughness.”

Read more from Liggins in the story here, or just watch the YouTube clip below and smile:

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Ohio State’s Matta has never gotten over 2011 loss to Kentucky

1. BMT
    5:42 pm November 8, 2016 Permalink

I feel the same way about the Wisconsin loss. I’ll never get over that. 🙁

• Luether
      9:36 pm November 8, 2016 Permalink

Agree. It was a huge upset and huge disappointment…

2. KSR Spy
    5:53 pm November 8, 2016 Permalink

Craft was just one of those kids I always enjoyed watching lose. I could really care less about Ohio State in basketball. Fans have always been kind and I don’t mind their players, but that kid was always mouthy and he always was “an amazing player”. Glad he isn’t in the college game anymore.

Now we just have Allen kid at Duke. Another “Amazing player” that always gets talked up. Yet he always does bad against good guard play.

3. marcusfurn
    5:56 pm November 8, 2016 Permalink

I was there and toughness was the difference! Had a feeling about that team and took a chance on going to see UK beat #1 OSU and #2 UNC. It was obviously well worth it for Cal’s 1st UK Final Four. (Unfortunately, I also went to the Final Four-lol.)

4. BBNFL
    6:36 pm November 8, 2016 Permalink

I disagree, the only NBA player that came out of the Buckeye team was Sullinger if I remember right. With Knight, Liggins, and Darius Miller I feel like we matched up with them talent wise and I think we had the better overall team, we played together more than they did. I live in Columbus and watched that Ohio St team play a lot, they never really came together as a unit. Once UK got rolling, they played as one and it showed against Ohio St.

• fauxbobknight
      10:22 am November 9, 2016 Permalink

We did have more talent but we were hardly the better team. That Ohio st. team went 32-2 in the regular season while we limped to a 25-8 finish. Their only regular season losses came to 2 ranked teams (#13 Wisconsin and #11 Purdue) while we lost to Uconn, UNC, Georgia, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida, Vanderbilt (#23) and Arkansas.

• BBNFL
      2:58 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

We were the better team at that point, it took us longer to develop. Regular season records mean nothing in college basketball. Its all about how youre playing in March, and we were playing better than they were