Objective #1 for Kentucky vs. North Carolina on Saturday: Rebounding

What’s the number one key to Kentucky knocking off #7 North Carolina in Vegas on Saturday? Rebounding. The Tar Heels are ranked fourth in the country in rebounds per game, with 45.5, while Kentucky ranks eleventh with 43.7. North Carolina is actually tied for first in rebounding margin, averaging 14.8 rebounds per game more than their opponents. For comparison, Kentucky is 36th (6.7 more rebounds per game).

Kentucky was actually outrebounded by Hofstra on Sunday 45-41, prompting Calipari to go on a bit of a rant in the postgame presser.

“The rebounding really bothered me because a bunch of them were perimeter shots and our guys all just looked at the ball. And either they tipped it away or jumped over our back, or the ball went over our heads. It was just frustrating because we’re working on it. But, it is what it is right now with us.”

Will Calipari go with a four-guard lineup to try to win the boards vs. North Carolina? The SEC Network’s Pat Bradley thinks so:

11 Comments for Objective #1 for Kentucky vs. North Carolina on Saturday: Rebounding

1. Ridge Runner
    2:40 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

And keeping Fox & Bam in the game and limiting their fouls. We are a completely different team when Fox is in there with that speed. We just have to have Bam go to work on defense as well.

• Ridge Runner
      2:46 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Not sure but .. I have really thought about this and I don’t buy into we have to beat them on the boards as so many say. We put up more shots than past teams with the hectic pace and percentage wise there are more chances for the other team to get boards. Yes, I want us to own the glass and yes we need to get better. Just not ready to say we have to win that total at the end of the game as I would think most teams have to.

• secrick
      2:54 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

You are probably right but winning the rebounding will assure us of a win, maybe.

2. Luether
    2:54 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Monk needs to step up and do his share of the rebounding…

• UK Big Board Update
      12:38 am December 15, 2016 Permalink

You need to worry about your own team. The whole country is laughing at (and/or disgusted with) it.

3. Al B. Frank
    3:28 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Humphries irritates me at times when it comes to rebounding. Instead of going up and getting it, he just wildly pokes at it. Even on put-backs, it seems like others are attempting to hit the basket, but he is just knocking it towards the backboard and hoping for the best. Seems like he is often out of position, too, and just throws a hand up awkwardly rather than being in position to bring the ball down and/or put it back in. I think he has plenty of talent and skill, just lacks the discipline.

4. jrdh13
    3:42 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

who was the guy telling me to calm down because i was concerned with their offensive rebounds? lol. the guards being fox monk brisoce and mulder? i think mulder will get killed in there he competes hard dont get me wrong but hell be giving up alot of size.

5. RealCatsFan
    5:40 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

Anyone else think that picture is funny? It’s like Kennedy Meeks is saying, “Someone get these pesky little white guys away from me!”

6. runningunnin.454
    5:55 pm December 14, 2016 Permalink

I’m sorry, what? 4-guard lineup to win the boards against NC? I want some of what that guy is smoking….and no, I don’t think Cal smokes.

7. THE William Hill
    3:50 pm December 15, 2016 Permalink

Classic. Once again Nick doesn’t proofread and uses planned instead of plans. Get your crap together and be a professional[,] man[.]

8. THE William Hill
    3:55 pm December 15, 2016 Permalink

Classic. Once again[,] Nick doesn’t proofread and uses []planned[] instead of []plans[]. Get your crap together and be a professional[,] man[.]