NY Post: “Kentucky has look of a Final Four Team”

Kentucky+v+Kansas+w_GDT2XolS2l

It’s a pretty odd thing to come away from a loss feeling better about your team’s chances in the postseason, but Kentucky’s gutsy performance at Kansas made believers out of many. The New York Post’s Zach Braziller has an article out today in which he argues that Kentucky is starting to get the look of a Final Four team. Whereas most people have compared this group to Calipari’s 2011 squad, Braziller compares them to the 2014 team:

But, be warned – that was the case two years ago, and everyone saw how that turned out. John Calipari’s Wildcats are starting to get it together, just like they did a couple years back, when they advanced to the national championship game as a No. 8 seed.

In fact, through 21 games this season, they have the exact same record as that season – 16-5 overall and 6-2 in the SEC – after Saturday night’s hard-fought overtime loss at No. 4 Kansas. And as was the case at this point in 2014, look closely enough and you are beginning to see signs of a big March run.

Braziller says Kentucky’s freshmen are “starting to get it,” but that this team “isn’t as reliant on freshmen” as the 2014 group:

That unit was led by the Harrison brothers, Aaron and Andrew, along with forwards Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle and James Young. This team’s best player is a sophomore, point guard Tyler Ulis, and junior forward Derek Willis has emerged as a quality option up front, alongside junior Marcus Lee and senior Alex Poythress. Willis, Poythress and Lee were on that team which stunned higher seeds Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin en route to the national title game. They’ve seen it happen.

Does the Cats’ performance on Saturday have you more or less excited about their chances in March?

[NY Post]

11 Comments for NY Post: “Kentucky has look of a Final Four Team”

1. symphonist41169
    11:28 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

MUCH more excited!!! I told a buddy of mine as the game ended that even with a loss this team turned a big corner. Without a dominating team this year I like our chances to make a deep run in March, possibly all the way into April. Will depend on the matchups.

2. mikeintn
    11:41 am February 1, 2016 Permalink

More excited, I thought over all it was their best game, because everyone had effort, and that’s all you can ask for. GO CATS

3. Catsby80
    12:00 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure that I am any more or less excited than I was before this game. You could kind of see this coming.. UK typically plays to the level of their competition, whether it be playing up to the competition or down… I will openly admit that I did not foresee a loss to Auburn coming, but things happen. As one of the commenters above me pointed out, it is really going to come down to matchups this year. Personally, I think UNC is probably the best team out there, but they can certainly be beaten on any given night, just as anyone else can. If we get a good draw, we could absolutely make a run…

I like the cats to enter the tournament with 7-8 losses as a 4 or 5 seed and make a pretty good run. An NCAA tournament run requires a strong point guard and we have a top 3 guy, so I like our chances.

• KentuckyBoy
      12:06 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Well said, and I couldn’t agree more. I don’t think, at this point, that we can play ourselves into a 1 seed, but I don’t think a two or three is out of the question. If we can beat A&M, and South Carolina, I think we end up a 2-3 seed in a good bracket.

4. doobie brother
    12:12 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m more excited. Before this game I thought we were a decent team that might win a 2-3 games in the tournament, but now I think a FF is a possibility and when you make it that far anything can happen. There isn’t one dominating team that is a clear favorite this year – every team looks vulnerable. If Kentucky can continue to improve I think we may have an exciting March. GO CATS!

5. NashvilleCats
    12:15 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I think your reaction to the game kind of depends on your opinion of Kansas too. I personally think if you replayed that game on a neutral court, Kentucky wins. It is just hard to win on the road for a variety of reasons. So, if you think Kansas is a final four caliber team, then I don’t see any reason why you wouldn’t say Kentucky can be the same.

6. golfdmd
    12:42 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

More excited after the last 3 games!! The intensity is building, ULIS-itis, and I hope it’s catching! Willis has a mild case and the rest will hopefully come down with it by March. I just have a question about Humphreys, He played early in the year and had potential. He’s not hurt is he? Just chained to the doghouse?

7. beaudiddy
    12:52 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Nice to talk about but no big man gonna hurt bad and 2 guys who cant shoot ft’s. Elite 8 would a shock. Ulis is the only consistent player on the team and he cant do it all.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:15 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

4 FF in 6 years. 8-1 vs Ricky P.

You should just shut up. 😉

8. ncaa is in on it
    2:45 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

Way more!! Finally fighting. If we ever get a road in tourney like DUKE always gets we will for sure be in Final four. KSR,When was the last time KY had four players foul out?

9. BIG BLUE ASH
    6:19 pm February 1, 2016 Permalink

I’m all excited about this team from the start of the season but i will let you know how excited about this team at the end of regular season play if they win the SEC Conference because all 8 teams that won the NCAA Championship were also 1st in there Conference.