Numbers show Malik Monk could be Calipari’s best scorer ever

monk-unc

I know I’m not alone when I say I’m still not over Malik Monk’s 47-point performance on Saturday. Let’s go through it again: Monk was 8-12 from three-point land, 18-28 overall. His 47 points are the most by a UK freshmen ever by a cool 12-point margin. He’s now tied with Dan Issel for the sixth most points by a Kentucky Wildcat in a single game in the program’s long and storied history. And, according to SB Nation’s Ricky O’Donnell, he’s also one of Calipari’s most efficient scorers. Check out these numbers:

Name Offensive rating True shooting percentage Usage rate Points per game
John Wall 108 56.2 25.7 16.6
DeMarcus Cousins 113.1 57.9 30.5 15.1
Brandon Knight 106.7 55.3 27 17.3
Anthony Davis 133.5 65.7 18.8 14.2
Julius Randle 111.2 56.6 25.5 15
Karl-Anthony Towns 122.7 62.7 23.7 10.3
Jamal Murray 118 59 27.2 20
Malik Monk 125.4 62.7 28.6 21.9

Only Anthony Davis ranks higher in terms of offensive rating and true shooting percentage, although, as Calipari will often remind you, Davis wasn’t used nearly as much as Monk. And we’re only eleven games in. Unreal.

Check out more numbers and charts at SBNation.com, and then relive Monk’s incredible performance:

10 Comments for Numbers show Malik Monk could be Calipari’s best scorer ever

1. ukblue22
    1:16 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Can we pump the breads for a minute on this kid? He’s played 11 games. I’m impressed beyond belief about Saturday’s performance. But, before we crown him the king of the 2016-2017 Basketball Season, let’s see a slightly larger sample size. Again, I’m not knocking on the kid, but he has enough on his plate learning how to play at this level, let’s not put the weight of the team and state on him just yet.

• JaminTheCoach
      1:30 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

That, and he’s never going to be the “diamond” of this class in terms of the NBA. Shooters in the NBA are a dime a dozen and that’s how he’ll be looked at in the broad scheme of things. Fox and/or Bam are going to get the majority of the love because of the positions they play, respectively.

• JaminTheCoach
      1:30 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

That being said, give me a dead-eye shooter any day of the week. Monk is by far my favorite in this class.

• ThatsAShame
      2:26 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Jamin are you serious? Have you noticed the every increasing emphasis the NBA is placing on shooting? The game is changing and teams are always looking for the next Steph. I’m not saying Monk is the second coming but you heard Bill Raftery (who knows a little about basketball) make comparisons to Jerry West and MJ. Those are not names you throw out lightly.

• Realme
      3:14 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Don’t want to pump the breads, Malik is awesome at more than just 3 point shooting.

• runningunnin.454
      3:32 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Got to say I’ve never heard of pumping the breads before…I would have said pump the brakes.
      Oh, well….agree with thatsashame; Warriors had Curry and Thompson, and still went after Durant.
      It’s a shooter’s game.

• ukblue22
      8:31 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

I sometimes really hate auto-correct. Brakes. It was supposed to be BRAKES. It is great to have a host of shooters and Monk is definitely a good one. But, I’m not hanging the season on one player yet.

2. JaminTheCoach
    1:28 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Monk, to me, is what Jodie Meeks should have been for the 2009 team if he would have stayed at UK.

3. M.T.Pockets
    9:16 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

excuse me, tied with Dan Issel for 6TH??? you really shouldn’t smoke until after you have written your articles.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:37 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

From UK’s official game notes: Freshman Malik Monk scored a Kentucky freshman record 47 points
      · Monk tied Dan Issel for the sixth-most points ever by a Wildcat in a single game
      · Issel did it Feb. 23, 1970 in a win at Alabama