Nuggets from John Calipari’s Call-In Show

cal

Cal’s Quick Take on the Mizzou Game

They out-fought us.  There’s no excuse for it.  It’s kind of disappointing the way we started.”  But Calipari knows it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.  “The last part of the game we played well.  We didn’t turn it over, we made free throws.  We made stops.  We got tough rebounds.”

What disappointed Calipari the most was the team’s transition and pick-and-roll defense.

A Call for Consistency

“We have to have a team full of guys that you know what you’re getting when you stick them in the game.”

Calipari is realistic.  People have bad days, it happens.  Calipari just wants the parameters of their play to shrink. They should only be 5-8 percent better or worse than what they do each game.  Right now, the guys aren’t just playing a little worse, they are forgetting how to tie their shoes.

“You can’t go for 25 and then not catch a ball.”

Another Request for Consistency

Cal needs to see more consistency from referees too.  He’s not blaming refs for a close game, “Our issues aren’t officiating,” but it does get frustrating.  “I would just tell you this, whatever is happening out there, the only thing I want is consistency.”

Quarters or Halves?

The NCAA could soon join every other basketball league in the world and move from halves to quarters.  One caller asked for Calipari’s preference, but he really didn’t have one.

“I’ll be honest. I haven’t spent anytime thinking about it,” he admitted.  “If it makes our game better, that’s fine.”

A Solution to Humphries’ Struggles

Of all the fantastic suggestions from fans to coaches, this might be the most brilliant.  One caller (I believe her name was Sue) believes that Isaac should ride a bike and jump on a trampoline for ten minutes before and after practice, “to get the brain thinking about jumping.”  The caller is worried the connections between Isaac’s brain and his jumping muscles isn’t fast enough to rebound.

Calipari (kind of) agreed with the caller, echoing the need for Isaac to consistently play with bend in his knees, so he can be prepared to spring into action.

The Team Watched Tape from the Ole Miss Game

Calipari went back to their first SEC road game, a 23-point blowout, to show them a dozen or so clips of their defense.  The tape showed them playing aggressively to win 50/50 balls, something that’s been in short supply recently.

The Great Experiment

Cal discussed the process of experimenting to find the right combination for each team by comparing this one to the 2011 and 2014 teams.

“Every year we go through this.  2014 we lost three of our last four.  In 2011, we couldn’t win a road game. We were figuring out how to play,” he said.  “When you’re us, the whole season is experiment to figure out how we’re at our best in March.”

The best way to figure it out: by playing close games.  “We’re not near where we need to be, but we got tough games coming up.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

19 Comments for Nuggets from John Calipari’s Call-In Show

1. JamesJ1982
    7:47 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Why doesn’t Cal bench Briscoe? Has anyone really watched him play? He is a punk on the court. Can’t shoot. Can’t pass. Can’t make free throws. Runs out of bounds, a lot… He is hurting this team in more ways than one. If Willis screws up, Cal takes him right out. But not Briscoe…. I am at the point now where I am rooting for him to get in early foul trouble. That seems to be the only way Cal will bench him. When he is out, they play better as a team. Hawkins, Mulder, and Willis are all seniors. They are much more deserving. #BENCHBRISCOE

• donjohnson
      10:15 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Willis is lazy and hesitant…..with all phases of the game. I agree briscoe is struggling none of the options appear better right now

2. hensley79
    8:11 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Going back and watching the ole miss game could help them out!!

3. jaws2
    8:19 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

We have a problem with the pick and roll? Seriously? Never noticed.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:09 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Witty.

• hensley79
      1:49 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

Cal is one of the best coaches in the country.. He had a reason having them go back and watch the ole miss game what could it hurt they where playing good ball at that time SERIOUSLY!!!!

4. catsarerunnin
    8:25 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

23-5

5. JamesJ1982
    8:41 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

catsarerunnin and JusSayin, Do you work for KSR??? Or Cal??? I can’t reply to your comments and you are all over Briscoes nuts. A true fan of basketball knows Briscoe should not be in the game. Do you want him at the line at the end of the game? If you need a three do you want him to shoot it? If you need a great pass do you want Fox or Briscoe passing you the ball? I guess if you want a wide open lay up, Briscoe is your man because thats his game and that where he gets his FG%

• donjohnson
      10:14 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Look briscoe has struggled lately. But if you think Willis, mulder, or hawk are better ball players you got some real problems as someone who acts like you know something.

You can’t pick and choose which person to compare briscoe to for each phase. He is a better shooter than fox……better at everything besides shooting than Willis and mulder. Willis is the biggest waste of NBA physical tools that I can remember……maybe ever at UK. He is a textbook NBA 4 right now but he can’t put it all together for more the a 10 minutes stretch here and there. I would like to see mulder play more….I just don’t know.where the minutes come from.

• unbridled
      10:36 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

Sorry donjohnson, your assessment is completely erroneous. Briscoe being a great defender is a myth. He averages 5 rebounds a game. He cannot shoot. He is a walking turnover. The entire offense is disrupted because defenses sag to the interior. Willis is not where he needs to be, but briscoe is stifling the development of the overall team. Mulder shouldn’t be receiving minutes from briscoe…briscoe should be giving mulder a quick breather and then mulder goes right back in. At least mulder will stretch the floor and allow space ball movement which absolutely necessary for the dribble drive.

• unbridled
      10:38 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

*space and ball movement*

6. unbridled
    10:07 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

I don’t really know why, but I have a feeling the cats are going to show up ready to play this weekend. I look for an 8-12 point victory. I just hope cal increases minutes for Willis and mulder. I also hope he mixes it up with a little zone defense every so often. What can I say, I’m an eternal optimist.

• JamesJ1982
      4:18 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

I really hope so! I just wish Cal would see what most of the BBN sees. Trust me, I want him to go pro and do his best. But he just seems like a selfish player trying too hard to improve his stats to go pro and it is bringing everyone else down.
      Watch the past few games when he gets into foul trouble or fouls out. The team plays better because Fox is running the point.

7. 8xchamp
    11:26 pm February 22, 2017 Permalink

I’d start fox,bam,hawkins,willis and mulder. And if Briscoe keeps being unaware he’s not fox or monk doesn’t play D or rebound they’d get 20 minutes a game

8. JamesJ1982
    4:29 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

Look I love KENTUCKY BASKETBALL. I am not a Cal Crony. If someone on the team is playing BAD and shouldn’t be in the game I will speak my mind. This is a free country not Russia asshole. (You know who you are) Unlike some other people that are easy to fool. Cal said Briscoe’s shooting has gotten better???? What in practice? Because no one sees it on the court. He is trying to sell this shit to the NBA and the fans but i’m am not buying!
    #BENCHBRISCOE

9. JamesJ1982
    4:31 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

#KENTUCKY1ST

10. JamesJ1982
    5:57 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

JusSayin February 22, 2017 at 8:03 pm | Permalink
    Like It (2)
    He turns the ball over too much and hes not a good shooter. All that other stuff you said was uncalled for and/or blatantly false.

Just sayin that should be enough! RIGHT

11. JamesJ1982
    6:00 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

m asking anyone with Basketball Experience…. He turns the ball over too much and hes not a good shooter.

Does that sound like a good player to you?

12. JamesJ1982
    6:01 am February 23, 2017 Permalink

Any basketball fan answer me.

WTF is he smoking?