Now the NCAA is denying they made Drew take the video down

IMG_1747

Well, if the NCAA hoped to sweep this story under the rug, they just messed up big time. In a story about Drew’s video of Gregg Marshall’s wife by the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Rob Tornoe, the NCAA denies they asked Drew to take the video down.

After the game, Franklin was writing his game story when he says two NCAA tournament officials came up to him and demanded he remove the video from his Twitter feed.

“I argued but didn’t want to jeopardize my NCAA credential going forward as I cover Kentucky and the team tends to make long tournament runs each year,” Franklin said, noting that in his eight years covering the team, this is the first time he has experienced anything like this.

Worlock denies that anyone from NCAA asked Franklin to remove the video.

As someone who was sitting right next to Drew when all this happened in the media room, I can say that is 100% false. Two NCAA officials came over to us while we were working, tapped him on the shoulder, and demanded he take the video down. I believe their exact words were, “You’re going to have to take that video down.” After Drew said he would even though he didn’t understand why, they insisted it was because the video was CBS’ “intellectual property.” After I asked for an explanation, they said that any video footage taken in the bowl of the arena during the game belongs to CBS, and did not leave until they saw Drew take down the tweet.

There were three other reporters at the table around us who witnessed this moment, and Worlock told Matt on the phone last night to take Drew’s video down:

Sorry, NCAA, but in this case, the facts are not optional.

[Philly.com]

17 Comments for Now the NCAA is denying they made Drew take the video down

1. catsarerunnin
    10:26 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

Oh no! The NCAA lied??? Say it ain’t so!!!

2. CATandMONKEY
    10:30 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

Only the NCAA could in comparison, make Congress look like a choir of angels.

3. Wildcat1972
    10:33 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

Hey NCAA, how are those investigations into UNC and Louisville going?

4. fauxbobknight
    10:33 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA really has y’alls panties in a wad this morning dont they?

• Booby Petrino
      10:39 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

about as much as UK advancing to the Sweet 16 has yours in a wad.

• catsarerunnin
      12:06 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Wait to you get the Marshall Madness in Bloomington fake Boobie. Your panties will be in terminal waddage.

5. bigtaters6957
    10:44 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

In other news ESPN “reseeded” the remaining teams with UK coming in a 10th……….. That network has turned itself into a joke.

6. EdC
    10:46 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

There was also a big article where a spokesman from the NCAA says that they don’t jigger the brackets for ratings and they don’t favor Duke. They don’t have any credibility at this point.

7. Bill3
    10:49 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

Ok guys … it’s called March Madness is it not? She didn’t throw up on anyone. She didn’t hit, kick, head-butt, spit, or bite anyone. I couldn’t find a video of her throwing the f-bomb although there are more than a few witnesses to her vocabulary. The NCAA attempt to censor is, for me, far worse. I don’t think CBS would consider this as “intellectual property,” but what do I know?

• Han
      1:57 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Drew and KSR weren’t witch hunting her or trying to get her thrown out. He just tweeted about it because he found it funny (and crazier since it was a coach’s wife). The issue became big because she (or someone connected) apparently complained and had officials come down on Drew and Matt.

8. coachc90
    11:02 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

No one from CBS or the NCAA demanded that I take down video of the SEC championship game. I’m sensing a bias here. I demand that you demand that I delete my video, too, NCAA. Arbitrary and capricious morons.

9. ukjaybrat
    11:29 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

Hey NCAA, we can let all of this go if you just finally do something about unc and louisville…. fair trade ?

10. peyton
    11:44 am March 20, 2017 Permalink

NCAA following Trump’s example … working on “alternative facts.”

11. STLouisBBFan
    2:31 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Jones and Trump on the same side of Fake News. Who would have ever thought?

12. gossie21
    2:37 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

My favorite part of the picture is the lady in the right corner shooting the stinkeye toward Drew.

Also, how did Drew miss the opportunity to respond to the request to take his post down with, “as soon as the NCAA takes UNC’s and UofL’s banners down.”