North Carolina fans still salty after the loss

@Beisner_cn2

One more North Carolina thing, and then I’ll move on, I swear. One of the most enjoyable things to do after a big win is read the other opponent’s message boards. It’s REALLY fun to do when the other team has fans who love college basketball almost as much as we do. So, this morning, I clicked on over to Inside Carolina to see how the Tar Heels were doing after Saturday, and for the most part, they were gracious in defeat, praising Kentucky for a dominant performance; however, there were a few threads so riddled with ignorance and denial that I literally LOLed. Here are my top five favorites:

5. Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.43.49 AM

This thread was started before the game, but isn’t it nice to look back and smile at? There were indeed some shooting woes prior to Saturday, but the Cats showed just how scary they can be when the shots are falling, making 56.3% from the field and a season-best 46.7% (7-15) from the three-point line.

4. Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.42.49 AM

In case you forgot, UNC’s Desmond Hubert may have had one of the worst free throw attempts in history. This thread is just funny.

3. Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.42.42 AM

Too cautious to agree, but I see you there bold statement from a rival fan.

2. Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.42.11 AM

For UK fans who have ever lived in North Carolina, this is the most beautiful phrase ever.

1. Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 11.43.06 AM

The definition of irony.

8 Comments for North Carolina fans still salty after the loss

1. UK Big Board Update
    2:36 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

• BigBlueBoom
      2:51 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Hey at least a few of them have some sense: “The only thing that will stop this uk freight train this year is uk. They could lose 3 more guys to injury and would still be the most talented team in the nation. I don’t particularly enjoy saying that.. But the truth is the truth.” DJintheVille

2. RealCatsFan
    3:16 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Wow, I could entertain myself all day if I had the time. Would be fun to sign up to that site and kick the hornets nest a few times. But I have better things to do.

3. Adam From Awesome Trot
    3:16 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

One thing that frustrates me about some of the UNC comments that I have read is they are complaining about the quality of our Academic program. Insulting my Engineering Degree is a pee pee poor way of excusing your team’s cheating.

4. Catsby80
    4:16 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

because it is monday afternoon at 4 pm and i didn’t feel like working for the last 20 minutes or so, i strolled over the unc insder blog page or whatever it is and browsed around… i must say, those unc fans are really something… the “how does kentucky stay in compliance with apr” thread was pretty comical. i find it amusing how so many teams are so quick to point fingers at Cal and UK, yet they can’t even keep their own noses clean at their own institution. jealousy and envy at it’s finest.

i will admit, out of all of the uk “rivals” (yes, i consider UNC to be a rival, or at least a blue blood if nothing else), they’re the one team that i don’t openly dislike. i certainly don’t cheer for them; however, it isn’t as if i cheer against them like i would a louisville, indiana, duke etc. reading through some of their comments though have certainly given me some perspective to not only their intelligence, which is obviously in question, but their class as well. I understand that all teams have fans that they aren’t proud of, but my oh my the saltiness of their fan base is sky high. you can feel it by the way they speak that they know they’re no longer one of the “elite” and it pains them so badly… and i love it.

looking forward to the season, i hope we can keep the intensity up (especially in some of the “weaker” sec road games) and the the 3 point shooting semi-elevated. If we keep the defensive intensity up and the 3 point shooting around 35%, I just don’t see a team on our schedule that can hang with us except for the dirty birds. that will be a very tough environment and a very tough game to win, but with that being said, I feel confident that the poise and leadership of WCS and Poythress will have our boys ready to compete.

final note: i really think it is so important for AP to be at the games sitting on the bench. the thing with WCS going down and giving him a high 5 when he comes off the floor is so important because it almost gives these guys an added sense of accountability. i think when they come off the floor and they give AP some skin, they want to make sure that they’ve done something that their big brother would be proud of.. that will be so instrumental down the stretch.

sorry for the long post. GO CATS!

5. Bill Bradsky
    6:44 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

Some of the academic stuff was annoying, but the comments are predominantly reasonable across all the threads discussing UK. Particularly the people who pointed out they shouldn’t be throwing stones in a glass house right now. But I’m not mad at ’em. I have two degrees from UK and I understand UNC is rated higher academically than UK. That doesn’t mean anything in real life, because it’s not like they’re an Ivy League school, but it is a fact. They want to believe their degrees are going to be worth more than a degree from UK (because they’re probably paying more), but they will find out soon enough that, for all intents and purposes, identical degrees from the two schools are equal. That has nothing to do with basketball, though, as UNC and UK players likely have similar schedules. As do most high-level D1 schools.

6. yargamel
    8:05 pm December 15, 2014 Permalink

I actually went and read their stuff and they seemed decently well measured for having just lost to UK.

The APR thread seemed more of a legit question due to the nature of UK’s players leaving and not really being responsible to the university beyond being generally good dudes that second semester.

7. Sir Brandon
    12:23 am December 16, 2014 Permalink

Thou borroweth a fish from @UKStoleMyFish, but still stong work.
    APR irony indeed. And here’s to seeing many more statements 3 and 2 post whence we administer the smacketh downeth to other teams.