None of Sports Illustrated’s experts picked Kentucky to make the Final Four

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

Kentucky is third in the country in Sports Illustrated’s 2016-17 preseason projections, but the Cats were noticeably absent from SI’s Final Four picks, which came out this morning. Neither Seth Davis nor Luke Winn nor Brian Hamilton nor Chris Johnson picked Kentucky to make the Final Four, the majority of them opting for Duke, Oregon, Kansas, and Wisconsin instead:

screen-shot-2016-11-09-at-1-25-17-pm

Davis and Johnson picked Duke to win the title, while Winn and Hamilton went with Kansas. Okay, big deal, haters gonna hate, but if you continue reading SI’s season preview, Kentucky was also shut out of categories like Freshman of the Year (I can think of three Kentucky players who could win that), Breakout Player, and Impact Defender (De’Aaron Fox?).

If you’d like to read SI’s preview — which is chock full of Duke love — anyways, click here.

Or, just watch this compilation of unlikely animal friendships, which is probably much more worth your time:

18 Comments for None of Sports Illustrated’s experts picked Kentucky to make the Final Four

1. Catsby80
    3:52 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

I realize we’re all biased on this site obviously, but to not mention UK at all in the entire article is honestly just blasphemous at this point. I get it if you don’t want to pick them to win the championship or go to the final four, but to not mention them at all in a college basketball article is just absurd. Lord knows they’re going to make sure and get their Duke picks in, though.

• AllBlueAllDay
      4:11 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

When you have players who are dedicated on defense, to making the opposing team’s night miserable, the sky’s the limit. They will have nights they shoot less than 40% and still win games by double figures. This team seems motivated to be a great defensive team and it has me feeling giddy about this year.

To be honest I’m happy as all get out with the way football is still going. It’ll be awesome watching football and basketball up until January when basketball takes over full time bbn entertainment duties.

2. hohum
    4:02 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Besides free-throws, the biggest common denominator that has kept UK from another championship has been the lack of outside shooting! If Mulder, Monk and Willis can develop consistent outside then I believe we would be the prohibitive favorite. This team is so long, athletic and quick that defense may more than compensate for the lack of outside shooting in the final four. By March, we will be better than Duke and all the rest.

3. RealCatsFan
    4:18 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Well good, that means Duke will get the infamous Sports Illustrated hex bestowed on them.

4. RealCatsFan
    4:20 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

But seriously, to put Louisville in the FF and no mention of UK? Really?

5. meeksfor3
    4:23 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Wisconsin seriously? Frank Kaminsky and Sam Dekker are not walking through that door.

6. KSR Spy
    4:24 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

I don’t understand why people are so high on Duke. I get it, they have a load of talent and returning talent.

When it gets down to it…guard play wins in March. If you have solid guard play, you have a chance. Duke has the worlds most overrated point guard and a combo guard. I don’t understand the continued love for Allen. The kid can score and run the team against lesser talent, but any time he plays a team with good guard play, he gets steamrolled. I just don’t get the logic.

• fauxbobknight
      10:13 am November 10, 2016 Permalink

you said it yourself, YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND. They have experience and they have arguably the best incoming recruiting class. You dont have to like them but it would be wise to show them some respect.

• 206Bones
      4:23 am November 11, 2016 Permalink

“unwise”, me

7. EdC
    4:33 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Whatever. UK vs. the world. I like our chances.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    4:49 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

I love being the underdog. Please keep ignoring us, cuz we’re coming whether you like it or not.

9. az1006
    5:39 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Other than the fact he decided to come back for another year, what makes people think Grayson Allen is the best player in the country. In all reality, he likely won’t be the best player on their team. He can score, but he’s a streaky shooter, and he struggles against long and athletic teams. Our team was far worse last year than what we have this year, and Allen was held to single-digit scoring.

That’s not to say Duke’s preseason ranking isn’t deserved. But to already crown them champions is a bit premature. But to have Duke/Kentucky 1-2 in your preseason rankings, and then not have a single person pick Kentucky to even reach the Final Four just plain makes no sense.

10. runningunnin.454
    6:58 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

Sports Illustrated has never been a friend of UK. I have written several letters to the editor over the years, pointing out their obvious bias against the Cats
    I was so irritated with them one year, I stopped buying the magazine….even the swimsuit issue, Hah.

11. Jiminy Crickets
    7:23 pm November 9, 2016 Permalink

clicks, clicks and more clicks. Thats what this is about. So they pick Duke, KU and Wisconsin with no mention of UK, and add UConn and UL as “dark horses”? LOL, If that doesn’t get a computer happy fan base to click on your article, nothing does

12. Chef1205
    10:42 am November 10, 2016 Permalink

First off all, my name is Chris Johnson, I live in Louisville and I am a UK fan. I am extremely dissatisfied with the picks of some of these ‘experts’. Now you may ask yourself, why would someone get all out of shape because of this article? Well here’s why. Say someone wanted to place a bet based on this ‘discharge’ of data. The person may place a large wage on Gonzaga to win it all…oh they didn’t make the Elite 8…”oh Chris Johnson the ‘Expert’ let me down, all is lost, my kids aren’t going to college”…see my point? Now Seth Davis is a know UK hater, I don’t know why, but at least we know about his lack of knowledge as an expert in this field. Never heard of these other yahoos…looks like they just copied off Seth’s page ala 5th grade style and tried to make it look original at the end. Point is, I will put THIS years UK team up against ANY of those teams…even FURTHER, I will put my knowledge of NCAA Bball up against this charlatan Chris Johnson and we will see who the expert is.