No one was more frustrated last night than Tyler Ulis

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

A lot of things went wrong during Kentucky’s epic collapse at Tennessee, but Tyler Ulis’ play was not one of them. Ulis continues to be the one player John Calipari can count on on any given night, a rarity with this Jekyll/Hyde squad. Judging by his body language, no one was frustrated more by Kentucky’s meltdown than Ulis. Ulis is part point guard, part coach on the court and, try as he might, he couldn’t stop his teammates from making poor decisions down the stretch.

“He was just upset because we kept breaking down, losing plays,” Calipari said. “‘Why would you do that? How did you lose him?’”

The friction was palpable, so much so that Tennessee’s Kevin Punter took notice.

“I definitely heard Ulis yelling at his teammates because those guys, I feel like, I don’t think they know where to go and I heard him getting on his guys about some of the play calls. I felt the tension and frustration,” Punter said.

Punter finished with a game-high 27 points, and had plenty of praise for Ulis, who finished with 20 points and five assists, his tenth game of the season reaching those totals.

I couldn’t beat him off the dribble because I couldn’t get lower than him,” Punter told Wes Rucker. “It wasn’t possible.”

There’s no doubt Tyler Ulis is tremendous, but he can’t do it alone.

17 Comments for No one was more frustrated last night than Tyler Ulis

1. leon singleton
    2:59 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

The wheels came off after Hawkins came in.

• jasonl
      3:47 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Really? What kind of statement is that?

• UK Big Board Update
      4:31 pm February 4, 2016 Permalink

Its a troll statement.

2. FBI Informant
    3:02 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Disagree. He’s not doing his job either. We need to stop covering for him. He himself made crucial mistakes last night. He made late turnovers, He missed every one of his shots late in the game. He lost his man and left him wide open for a 3 on the wing.
    It is the job of the PG to make his teammates better. He’s not doing it right now and he doesn’t deserve a pass just because he’s playing just a little bit better than the guys that aren’t producing. That’s my two cents. Blast away.

• theWilkman
      3:26 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

The guy averaging over 6 assists a game isn’t making his teammates better. Sure thing.

• shmikey
      3:47 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Tyler definitely had an off game despite his 20 points and 6 assist or whatever. He had several breakdowns, most notably that open 3 where he thought he man was going to the corner and went for the steal, but he’s still far and away the best player. The coaches need to take advantage of teams overplaying Ulis.

• theWilkman
      4:04 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Show me a guy who plays mistake free basketball and I’ll show you my oceanfront property for sale here in Henderson County. Ulis is hands down the most important player on this team, FBI Informant is a moron if he truly believes Ulis doesn’t make his team better and we are all just “covering for him”

• rainman
      5:25 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

You DO realize there is an opponent right?
      And that OPPONENT is trying to score, and do
      the same things for HIS team, that you are.
      Tyler, (just like any player) makes mistakes, all
      players do, but this kid is giving EVERYTHING he has.
      And isn’t that all anyone can ask of him, or any player?

I wouldn’t trade him for any guard in the country!

• BigBlueBoom
      5:31 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Well there always has to be a dumbest comment winner, congrats FBI.

3. gright
    3:03 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Nothing seems to come very easy for this team and I’m not sure why. I think most notably We don’t have a dependable inside scorer for easy baskets. We pill up too many fouls and that can be due to poor defense. We also allow far too many offensive rebounds by the opposing team.

• somerset bill
      10:30 am February 4, 2016 Permalink

basically our entire inside group are second string players.

a lot of times it looks like all the second string guys need is playing time to get as good as the first string. but there are also lesser talented guys, and more playing time for them just shows us the issues they can’t overcome.

poythress is one of those guys, too, even though he shows us flashes and makes it seem like he has a ceiling he hasn’t reached yet. but he has. his motor, not his athleticism, is the issue that he can’t overcome. after this many years (and more importantly, this many successful examples, that he has watched, first hand, of guys taking instruction and making themselves better), it doesn’t seem like it is something that can be taught for him. it seems like an actual physical limitation.

4. AndTheDevil
    3:22 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

I think Ulis is the only one who knows he has other teammates on the floor. If I see Murray or Briscoe drive into 3 dudes while a shooter is WIDE open behind the arc…

• shmikey
      3:49 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

No one guarding you doesn’t make you completely open though, you have to give the guy with the ball a passing lane to you and our guys struggle with that. Murray and Briscoe arent great passers, but I don’t think they are selfish either.

5. Jiminy Crickets
    3:33 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Did anyone else see the black referee making fun of ulis whining, when he got the phantom foul on the baseline? He gave him the old crybaby face

6. mj7juice
    4:07 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Every official of last nights crew is a jerk off.

7. struggler
    4:48 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Ulis, if/when he made mistakes, it’s likely out of sheer frustration, fatigue or the fact that our bigs in particular are not in position to make a play – they are static, stationary and don’t seem to know what they are supposed to do – or where they are supposed to be. The guy saying he’s not doing his job, I mean not trying to pick a fight, but that assumes others are doing their jobs. Often times he has no one to pass to – esp in the interior – so he has to make his own opportunities. Not to repeat my rant on RR, but Skal is worthless at this point – stop the experiment. I’ve given up on Alex. I wish Ulis wouldn’t just say stuff to them on the court – I wish he’d “Chi-town bitch slap” some of these guys right on the court. I feel sorry for him now – because few if any are trying to help him make team style basketball plays. The bigs are rarely in position to score or rebound. He damn well should be frustrated.

8. Game Changer
    6:11 pm February 3, 2016 Permalink

Ulis is our MVP, he is an amazing competitor and a great player and manager/coach/PG. Having said that the past two games were not his best. In the Kansas game that last possession was beyond crucial… our players were in foul trouble, we were exhausted, we had 9 seconds on the clock and he turned it over at the worst time. In the Tennessee game, he blew couple of coverages that led to a couple of 3s, he missed very few FTs but the one he missed was at a very crucial time but most importantly when the wheels were coming off towards the end of the first half while we were blowing a 21 point lead, neither him nor Calipari took the time to calm this team down. This team’s achilles heal… no true center, can’t guard without fouling, and collapsing under pressure. I think aside from Ulis it is probably one of the mentally softest and vulnerable teams of all time… even worse than the NIT team as a whole when it comes to lack of mental toughness and fortitude. Okay I am ready for being shot down… shoot away