Nike stock falling after Zion Williamson’s shoe busts

Photo: Rob Kinnan/USA Today

Photo: Rob Kinnan/USA Today

If you’re a human being with a television or access to the internet, you’ve seen the clip of Zion Williamson’s shoe falling apart during last night’s Duke vs. North Carolina game. Just in case, here it is again:

As you might expect, that viral moment is costing Nike some money today. The shoe giant’s stock is down 1.44 percent this morning, the price of a share dropping from $84.84 at Wednesday’s close to $83.62 as of noon. That equates to a loss of over a billion dollars, all because Zion’s foot busted out of his shoe.

Last night, veteran shoe executive Sonny Vaccaro predicted the clip will haunt Nike forever.

“It’s already all over the world while we’re still watching the game he got hurt in,” Vaccaro told Yahoo Sports. “They’re going to show it until we die.”

Another clip they’ll show: President Obama saying, “His shoe broke.”

Puma immediately pounced, tweeting — then deleting — this jab:

If you thought that was in poor taste, wait until you see this shirt a North Carolina company made:

You know what would take everyone’s minds off this embarrassment, Nike? Some awesome new Kentucky Basketball uniforms, that’s what.

[mobile_ad]

33 Comments for Nike stock falling after Zion Williamson’s shoe busts

1. playmorezeppelin
    1:41 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Give me a break. Are we really going to blame this on Nike now? If this happened to any other player we wouldn’t have even heard about it. How many times has this happened in recent memory, where a player bust out of his shoe? I’ll say probably none. But one (overweight) player blows out his Nike’s after a hard jumpstop and all of a sudden they’re a lesser quality product? Give me a freaking break. I cannot wait for this guy to get drafted by the Knicks so I never have to hear about him.

• chardun20
      1:49 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Over the years I’ve seen a few shoe blowouts. About once or twice a year college or NBA someone shoe blows out, then it’s forgotten. Not just 1 brand either.

• playmorezeppelin
      1:52 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I guess my point is, even if there are blow outs every other week, why is it only an issue now that Zion is involved?

• 4everUKblue
      2:45 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Let’s get one thing straight, Zion is a really good player but he will never be as good as AD.

• J. Did
      5:09 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Had a pair Nike’s in early H.S. and the sole blew out; I was 15 and 115 lbs playing point guard. Never bought another pair. Stuck with old Converse leather which have, IMHO, always been the best Basketball shoes ever made (white leather, blue star).

• JASUN74
      7:28 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

4ever, man I’d like to agree with you, but we don’t have to act like he sucks just because he plays for duke!! He’s a hell of a player and is going to be a NBA ALLSTAR for a long, long time if he stays healthy. Hell, he would’ve been and ALLSTAR in the NBA this year.

Now I love Kentucky Basketball as much as any man or woman that’s ever walked the earth and took a breath of H2O, but that kid is special and we don’t need to act petty about it. I would give anything to have had him in UK Blue and White but that wasn’t the plan. We just haven’t saw anything like him and it’s hard to say what ends up happening in the future.

If he doesn’t end up hurt or eating so much he gets fat, lol, he’s going to be awesome and be in the hunt for the MVP for the next 15 years. It doesn’t make our players bad, it’s just that he’s a different animal. Lol. Damn it, I hated like hell to say that shiiit but it’s true whether we like it or not!

Ohh and it doesn’t matter who drafts the kid, they’re going to have a star and we’re not going to quit hearing about him for the rest of our lifetimes.

2. BLUEsky
    1:48 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

HeII yes blame it on Nike. In case people havn’t noticed, these shoe companies are no longer stitching the soles of the shoes. I can’t tell you how may pairs of shoes I have had to replace prematurely in the last few years because the darn soles are glued on. GLUED!!! Say what you want folks, these shoe manufacturers are making junk and selling them at premium price. I have had the soles of Nike and New Balance literally fall off my feet after only a couple of months of light use. Finally their junk is being broadcast across the globe. Zion deserves a medal for bringing this to light. And this is coming from a UK fan. Junk!

• IrishCat
      2:25 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m w/ you Bluesky. The more you know about the big shoe companies the less there is to like. Their stock SHOULD be falling for various reasons.

• RealCatsFan
      2:56 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

New Balance used to make a really good shoe. I started running in their shoes mainly because the Nike’s were awful for people with wide feet who pronate. At one time I believe ALL of the NB shoes were made in the USA. Not really sure if any of them are now – I sure had a hard time finding any the last time I went shopping. I still have a couple of my older NB shoes that I use for slogging around doing yard work that are probably at least 12 years old, and they are holding together. But I will agree that especially with basketball shoes, the money is spent on promotions and designing perhaps the ugliest shoe possible rather than something that supports your feet properly and actually stays together.

3. BobTheBuilder
    1:49 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

The entire market is down today, not just Nike. Is the S&P 500 negative because of Zion?!?! No.

Yes Nike is down more than others today, but there is no direct causation because of one shoe. Nike is a multi-billion dollar company with business across the globe which would have a much greater effect on it’s stock price.

4. MrNoItAll
    1:52 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

“My daughter asked for a pair of trainers. I said, you’re 11. Make some.” — RIP Jeremy Hardy

5. secrick
    2:03 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I think the tee shirt is funny as hell.

• 4everUKblue
      2:53 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I think so too, but they also need one that says no class today.

• trumpetguy
      3:49 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Somebody in NC tee-shirt class just got a 4.0 in there!

• BBNmemberinoh
      5:22 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

trumpet….that would not include any UNC players but agree the actual students at UNC grade high on this one.

• Jesus H. Chrysler
      7:18 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Ditto

6. Catcasey1
    2:04 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Quit buying Nike after they promoted the guy that disrespects his country

• trumpetguy
      3:28 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Other won’t admit to it, and especially Nike……BUT “kneeling NFL players” are not good for business. Recent settlements probably indicate NIKE and NFL hope all this goes away ASAP.

• bigbluebanana
      3:53 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Sure do wish someone would explain how Kap disrespects a country by kneeling during an anthem. Has zero to do with military/anthem and all to do with racial inequality in this country. I’m a black man and have never been in trouble with the law, but if you think it’s the same when you get pulled over as it is when I get pulled over, you’re naive and wrong. You don’t hear about cops shooting unarmed white kids every day because they were in fear. I have literally hundreds of family and friends that went to the military and are still stationed, mainly down in Ft. Campbell, not a single one of them feel disrespected.

Also, I doubt you’re aware, but did you know the military pays the spirts leagues for the anthem and flag displays to happen? The anthem wasn’t always played at sporting events either. Was everyone disrespecting the country then? Maybe look into the writer, and the verses that have been removed from the original anthem, here’s a hint, it glorifies slavery.

• HiPointCatFan
      4:47 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

BigBlue, I’m riding with you on this one. Lack of awareness of why Kaep did what he did and the voice from the Big House made this issue so much more that what it should have been about. I too share your view from the black perspective. I fear for my teenage son and what he is going to have to go through as he grows up. Injustice needs to be in the forefront of this country’s ongoing issues, but yet it gets squashed because a freaking GAME is not accepted as a place to bring it to the masses. Thanks for speaking up.

7. StuckinLville
    2:10 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

If Zion doesn’t get hurt I doubt UNC wins by so much. Pretty bad taste on their part. Kinda LSU making a shirt over an illegal tip. Glad Florida beat them.

8. CMH23
    2:16 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Nike needs to hire Jimmy Buffett for their next add…’stepped on a pop top…’

• Headhurts
      2:38 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

If u were born after 1980’s u probably don’t know what a pop top is, lol

• RealCatsFan
      2:58 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

“… blew out my flip flop. Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.”

• catsarerunnin
      3:41 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I’m more of a Footloose fan…

9. somerset bill
    2:20 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I would be embarrassed to sell that shirt. It says here’s the reason we were able to beat those guys.

10. Headhurts
    2:32 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Nike will probably cut the pay of the sweat shop workers in Vietnam from $1.00 per hour to 50cents, No sympathy for Nike.

11. ukbradstith
    2:52 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I think that shirt is awesome.

• secrick
      3:24 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep funny as heck.

12. friendsofcoal
    3:37 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

If Zion plays again and ends up with a career ending injury then he has insurance that will pay him $8 million. He’s crazy to ever step on a college court again! He’ll make more than $8 million his first day in the pros.

13. Matt10
    3:43 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

I had ESPN on for about 10 minutes this morning and they probably showed that shoe busting 50 times. Pathetic.

14. J. Did
    5:04 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

Last week, I told my wife that within 5 years Zion would blow an achilles or an ACL. This is based on his size and energy – which will take a physical toll on his body. Glad he only has a minor sprain.

15. J. Did
    5:21 pm February 21, 2019 Permalink

BTW, the initial vid pic of coach K makes him look like the not-blue-but-true devil incarnate.