New Rupp Arena video board going up this week

video-board

Rupp Arena’s brand new video board is going up this week where Big Bertha once hovered over the Greatest Show In College Basketball. The new LED scoreboard is part of the two-year, $15 million overhaul of the technology in the arena, which will be completed in time for Big Blue Madness and the basketball upcoming season.

Have a look at the new board in this preview video from Rupp:

That thing looks pretty awesome. Can’t wait to see the Malik Monk and Bam Adebayo replays up there.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for New Rupp Arena video board going up this week

1. Mathlete
    10:53 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Can’t wait to see what they do at Madness with this, it’s going to be a huge upgrade over Bertha

2. secrick
    10:56 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Hope it’s not checker board or some fans will freak out.

3. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am September 22, 2016 Permalink

Great to see, but somehow I thought it would be bigger – like the one in Cowboys Stadium. 🙂

• Bluebros
      12:02 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Pretty sure the Cowboy’s video board is bigger than Rupp. Don’t get me wrong, it would be one hell of a view for the nose bleed seats but you might have to cut the roof off

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:17 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Exactly! Forget full court passes getting stuck in it; even free throws probably would!

• Mathlete
      12:26 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s not the size that counts, it’s how you use it! Right guys??

Right??

…guys?

4. RUPPS.rhetoric
    12:30 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Believe me, I’m not complaining because this is a serious upgrade that was long past needing. But I honestly thought it would be A LOT bigger. Not Jerry World big, that’s absurd. But that essentially looks like it’s as big as just one seating section. Google the Quicken Loans arena screen. Now I’m not sure I even expected to be as big as that one; but it appears ours isn’t even half as big as theirs and they have a smaller arena. Granted they have much more revenue and can afford it. But I was expecting something about 50%-70% of that one, and it appears we’re between 30% and 40%. Again, a HUGE upgrade, I just thought it would be bigger.

5. DMaggard
    5:35 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Well Olé Miss has the biggest in college basketball at 11.5x 22 and this one will be 18 X 25 so it’s now the biggest.

6. jkmann1
    7:59 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

I’m gonna be that guy, too — I’m glad they finally got this, but my lord this is so overdue.

7. pva
    9:17 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

Are they keeping the four boards in the corners?

8. AirForceOne
    10:04 pm September 22, 2016 Permalink

According to Daktronics, the new scoreboard measures 27 feet high by 34 feet long. It weighs 43,500 pounds, and cost $2.7 Million. It will be the largest in college basketball by far. Pretty nice!