New ESPN mock draft has Keldon Johnson well outside the lottery

Yesterday, Keldon Johnson declared for the NBA Draft, but said he’ll only stay in if he’s projected to be a lottery pick. In his new mock draft for ESPN, Jonathan Givony has Keldon going 21st to Boston.

“Danny Ainge has long valued toughness, versatility and 3-point shooting — all strengths for Johnson. Although his struggles creating offense off the dribble caused his stock to fall somewhat, Johnson won’t need to be much of a ball handler on a team with this much star power.”

Givony has PJ Washington at No. 12 and Tyler Herro at No. 16. Obviously, this could change a lot between now and May 29, especially if Keldon performs well at the Draft Combine and in team workouts, but Givony is the most reputable NBA Draft writer out there, so what he says is likely based on good intel.

As for Herro, still no official announcement on his status, although yesterday’s “inadvertent typo” by UK in Keldon’s announcement all but assures he’ll follow Keldon’s path and declare for the draft but leave the door open to return.

[ESPN]

[mobile_ad]

50 Comments for New ESPN mock draft has Keldon Johnson well outside the lottery

1. cats646
    3:16 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

He needs to come back

• KYFAN4LYFE
      3:18 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Agreed…and we NEED him to come back as well.

• riandri
      3:25 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Question, if you could have only one of the two (Keldon or Tyler) come back which would you prefer?

I am selfish – I want both, but just curiously asking if only one who works best with the 2019/2020 Team?

• Bruce Dickinson
      4:15 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

They both seem like they would be good teammates. They are both good players. Keldon probably has more athletic ability, but herro is a deadly at the foul line. He was also good on defense and a good outside shooter. I would probably picke Herro over Keldon at this point. In the end if we can keep either one that would be great.

• Miller45
      3:51 am April 12, 2019 Permalink

Herro especially needs to hit the weights hard

• NYCCatsFan
      4:33 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Cool Bruce!

Are you the lead singer for Iron Maiden?

• Bruce Dickinson
      5:07 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

No, I was the producer for Blue Oyster Cult’s Don’t fear the reaper. We had plenty of cowbell.

• J. Did
      8:51 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Would love if both came back. If I could have one return? Herro. As indicated: Due to his all around performance, consistency, defense, offense and free throws.

• BLUE WHITE
      11:13 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Herro only because of free throws lol

• Miller45
      3:49 am April 12, 2019 Permalink

Come back, please don’t jump ship too early and end up in the g league or in timbuktu playing

2. Smyrna_Cat
    3:20 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

ESPN does these mock drafts to get clicks. They are meaningless. Still would like to see Johnson come back, but it is hard to imagine that happening.

3. natedaddy
    3:25 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Hope he’s a man of his word. Cause he sure as hell won’t get picked in the lottery

• nocode96
      3:36 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Did he say he will return if he isn’t picked in the lottery?

• ClutchCargo
      3:46 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Spoiler:

No, he didn’t say that.

• nocode96
      3:58 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Dang clutch, you beat me to my own punchline! Lol. Was waiting for the reply.

• Soylentbeans
      4:10 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

So the first sentence of this article is a lie then?

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      4:18 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Keldon in yesterday’s statement: “My hope is to be a lottery pick. If I am, I plan on pursuing my dreams and staying in the draft, but I want to go through the process first and get the correct information.”

• nocode96
      5:07 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Looks to me like he didn’t say “if I’m not a lottery pick, I’m coming back”. Thanks TT

• makeitstop
      5:16 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

No, it was implied. I want to be, and if I am, I stay. I suspect it would depend on how solid the commitment and how far outside the lottery (financially) and if they say “next year u should be X spots higher in a weak draft.” Lots of ifs. But better than I expected.

4. ScottGreene22
    3:30 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Only kids on this team ready are PJ and Reid.

• Ez21
      3:46 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

What is Reid ready for bc he won’t play long if at all in the NBA?

• addyjaxlarkin
      5:16 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Reid has a very bright future ahead of him whether he chooses to play professional basketball or pursue other things. Super intelligent young man with a great head on his shoulders. Extremely proud that he decided to grad transfer and become a wildcat.

• ScottGreene22
      7:13 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Yes he can play over seas if the NBA doesn’t work out but I’d love to have him on staff as a grad assistant

• UK Maine-iac
      11:00 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I hope Reid has a nice, long pro career whether NBA or oversees, but I hope one day he gets into coaching. He just seems like it would come naturally to him.

5. BigJohnC
    3:42 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Herro over keldon

6. mothandras
    3:44 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Neither of these kids are going top 15 so, if that is the case they should come back.

• mashburnfan1
      10:00 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

What u mean. They should go 1 and 2 cause they played for Cal and everyone here knows Cal puts guys in the league. None of these previous players would have been drafted had they not played for Cal. You see Cal develops guys and puts them in the NBA after 1 year {well 8 months}. All these BS mocks know nothing, Zion, who is he? He not a Cal guy. Real Mock draft…1. Herro, 2. Keldon 3. Nick Richards {may go 1 as he played 2 years for Cal} 4. Hagans 5. Quickley 6. EJ 7. Reid 8. Zion 9. Morant 10. RJ 11. some foreign kid 12. Quade {see could have been 4 had he stayed with Cal} 13. Gabriel {he did play for Cal but left so just slips into lottery}

• JT919
      11:23 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Seek therapy mashburn, we’re worried about you.

7. kjd
    4:27 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

No surprise here.

8. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    4:39 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Keldon needs to consider if he wants to just get paid or if he wants to have a long NBA career. I think right now there is nothing that keeps Keldon from being James Young. If he is fine with that he should go. If he isn’t, he should return, raise his draft stock and make an NBA team invest heavily in his future.

9. BlueAce
    5:02 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I would much rather have herro back for another year. Keldon really struggled against athletic teams and was a streaky shooter all year long. Herro has potential to be a great knock down shooter which we will need next year very badly.

10. VirginiaCat
    5:49 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I really hate this time of year when our best young players head off to the NBA whether they are truly ready or not, making it necessary for Kentucky to patch something together for next season. No significant experience or continuity on which to build. Not trying to be a downer, ladies and gentlemen, just stating the facts.

• catsarerunnin
      5:54 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

You’ll live.

• addyjaxlarkin
      6:29 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Double U
      Tee
      EFF

• KYFAN4LYFE
      6:37 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Good thing you live in Virginia then. Have fun with your 1 NC, and knowing UVA will likely be the only school in NCAA D1 history to be the #1 overall seed, and not only lose to a 16 seed…but get demolished by 20 pts.

I’ll take the results from Cal’s teams, and his recruiting and coaching, over that embarrassment ANY FREAKIN’ DAY.

11. friendsofcoal
    6:08 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I’d love to have either return for a second year but if I gotta pick then it’s gotta be Herro. His potential is much better imo.

12. Cousins Fake Tooth
    6:34 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I like the kid, but I never seen what some of these mock drafts seen in him being so high on the list.

13. bluecat15
    7:21 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

If Kelvin comes back do you guys think that will have an impact on Khalil Whitney or Keion Brooks?

• bluecat15
      7:22 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Keldon^

• JT919
      8:37 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

Probably not Keion Brooks. Their skill sets don’t overlap as much as his and Whitney’s. Might even be an upside, that unlocks some hyper aggressive offensive lineups (Hagans, Maxey, Whitney, Keldon, and Brooks/EJ/Sestina?)

14. shelby
    8:55 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I’m still not sure what killed and Johnson brings to the table. He plays hard he’s an undersized forward and seems to turn the ball over a lot when he gets into the lane. He had some games where he shot well from the outside but doesn’t seem to do it consistently enough. I honestly can’t put my finger on what kind of player he plans to be. Definitely a lot of talent there.

• JT919
      1:22 am April 12, 2019 Permalink

If he can shoot consistently and/or develop a more crafty inside game to avoid getting blocked so much, he’d be an oversized, crazy athletic shooting guard.

15. gasman01
    8:58 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think either one will come back. The will both be first rounders.

16. Racerr11
    8:59 pm April 11, 2019 Permalink

I would rather keep Keldon as of now. Tyler had a handful of games where he shot good but for the most part he shot consistently bad, missed alot of shots. He was better in some areas as the season went on but also saw him fall back some. At times looked like he didn’t want to listen and didn’t like to be coached at times. Johnson for me