NCAA to vote on extra eligibility for Winter/Spring Sport Athletes next week

Will Nate Sestina get an extra year of eligibility? We’ll find out next week.

According to Jeff Goodman, on Monday, the NCAA will vote on whether winter and spring athletes should receive an additional year of eligibility due to the coronavirus pandemic. The NCAA has already said it will grant relief for spring sport athletes (baseball, golf, lacrosse, softball, tennis, indoor track and field), but hasn’t specified the details or mentioned anything about winter sports (basketball, gymnastics, rifle, swimming and diving, track and field).

Yesterday, John Calipari said spring sport athletes should absolutely get an additional year of eligibility, but the logistics are a lot trickier when you look at winter sports like basketball, whose regular seasons were already over when the cancellations began.

“Well, first of all let me hit the spring. They’re not having their season. So, they have to do something for them. There are unintended consequences for us as basketball where we all played our whole regular season. We missed postseason. For seniors, how many of them would have played in the NCAA Tournament? How many of them would have really advanced in the NCAA Tournament? What does it do to scholarship levels? What does it do to incoming freshmen? There were four freshmen who went to a school because those five seniors were graduating. They (the seniors) came back. They (the freshmen) don’t want to go to that school. Can they transfer? If there are seniors, 70 that come back and you give them an extra year, can they become grad transfers? Well, you can’t stop them from that. That’s their right. Now do we have more? I mean there are unintended consequences.

“Would I love to have our man back, Nate, for another year? Absolutely. But there are things and decisions that they have to make some of it financially. Now, if you give three more scholarships to the men’s program, you’re going to have to give three more scholarships to the women’s program. Six more scholarships at $40,000. I mean, there are things that they’ve got to walk through. Do I think the kids should have that year? It would be great if there was some way to work it out for those seniors.”

We’ll find out soon enough.

12 Comments for NCAA to vote on extra eligibility for Winter/Spring Sport Athletes next week

1. Han
    2:49 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Will letting seniors play an extra year make the NCAA more money? If the answer is yes, they’ll do it. If the answer is “no” or “we don’t know,” they will not.

2. Gazza
    2:54 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

The NCAA should give them 1 more year, if they stay with their current school.

3. michaelb
    3:04 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

I coulda swore there was an article about this already saying it won’t happen

• TonyMontana
      4:16 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Previous reports were “NCAA Unlikely to Grant Extra Eligibility to Athletes in Winter Sports”… but nothing definitive.

4. Fitz
    4:49 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get the logic behind allowing winter sports athletes another year. As Cal pointed out the regular season was over before the cancelation of post season play, as well as some mid and low major conference tournaments. What remained were the major conference and NCAA tournaments where about 50% of the participants would only play one game and another 20-25% only a few more times.
    Then there’s Sestina and other 5th year seniors who would get a sixth year.
    In golf they call unfortunate things that disrupt play the “rub of the green” Same here.
    My money is on the NCAA not granting another year to seniors, although I would love to have Sestina back.

• michaelb
      7:02 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

I see your point but there’s also some technicalities present too. The majority of the basketball season is played in the spring semester. The most important part of a basketball players season is in the tourneys

• IrishCat
      8:57 am March 26, 2020 Permalink

I don’t see this happening, but I Would LOVE to have Nate back next season.

5. michaelb
    7:06 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Bottom line : Nate and many others were robbed of what they came to do , you can’t tell someone how they should feel about that . If a player applies for the additional season , grant it. Not every player will do this , like they are predicting. Some players best interests is to not apply .

• Park
      8:05 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Makes the most sense. I can’t seem them universally giving ever senior another year. It sucks for those seniors but, so would your team missing the tourney due to a poor record.

• michaelb
      8:16 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

Yea , I’m with ya … gonna be interesting

6. michaelb
    8:16 pm March 25, 2020 Permalink

I think Nate and Ashton tie for dunk of the year . That put back dunk in the last fla game was so clutch and just all over the gators .